Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ULEZ and Rx400h 2005

Looking for any members with a similar issue to mine… my 2005 RX400h was ULEZ compliant (it is Euro 4 according to everything I read), until my last trip to London; as it had been compliant the last time, I didn’t check on TfL. Received 2 penalty notices as a consequence of the trip, it is (they say) no longer compliant. I’ve sent two letters to argue the toss but to no avail… Lexus just direct me to TfL (not helpful!)… 

Anyone else in a similar position?

Thanks 

Ez 

"Approximately 80% of the vehicles on UK roads already meet minimum ULEZ emissions standards: Euro 4 for petrol (from January 2006) and the tougher Euro 6 for diesel (from September 2015).

This means that every petrol or petrol-electric hybrid Lexus produced since January 2006 is ULEZ compliant and therefore exempt from paying this surcharge."

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/london-congestion-charge-ulez/#:~:text=This means that every petrol,exempt from paying this surcharge.

11 minutes ago, Ezzie said:

Looking for any members with a similar issue to mine… my 2005 RX400h was ULEZ compliant (it is Euro 4 according to everything I read), until my last trip to London; as it had been compliant the last time, I didn’t check on TfL. Received 2 penalty notices as a consequence of the trip, it is (they say) no longer compliant. I’ve sent two letters to argue the toss but to no avail… Lexus just direct me to TfL (not helpful!)… 

Anyone else in a similar position?

Thanks 

Ez 

It should be compliant, have you put your reg onto to the site to double check?

Are you sure it was a ULEZ penalty you got and not a congestion charge fine? Hybrids used to be free in the congestion zone a few years ago, but not anymore.

• Like 1

Ezzie, here's what I presume is an equivalent to yours (pinched off AutoTrader) so you should be ULEZ compliant ...

ScreenShot2023-07-03at19_43_08.thumb.png.16619d846ebb13ac94d3399480262780.png

That said, Bill has a good point about Congestion Charge, check if you were in the Zone! 🤔

2 hours ago, Sundance said:

Ezzie, here's what I presume is an equivalent to yours (pinched off AutoTrader) so you should be ULEZ compliant ...

ScreenShot2023-07-03at19_43_08.thumb.png.16619d846ebb13ac94d3399480262780.png

That said, Bill has a good point about Congestion Charge, check if you were in the Zone! 🤔

This just gets weirder… it’s definitely the ULEZ penalty and I put my 55 reg in RL55NRX and it is not compliant… I put the PUX one in, and it is.. I resent paying £180 out of principle having bought a hybrid to do my bit… it doesn’t make any sense… 

Its probably a glitch in the computer at tfl .

I had a similar problem during lockdown.whent into the zone in my land rover which was not compliant.i paid the charge the day before but was still sent a penalty charge.i sent a copy of the receipt for payment and a copy of my bank statement.weeks later I received a letter saying it had been cancelled.i also sent a copy of the tfl checker saying it was compliant.

Just shows you how you can't trust anything or anyone at all

John 

icon-car.fc2f2a21.svg

Your vehicle

• MP55GFU
  • Silver LEXUS

Country of registration

• United Kingdom

This vehicle meets the ULEZ emissions standards

You do not need to pay a daily ULEZ charge to drive in the zone, and are helping to improve air quality across London.

However, if you see the Congestion Charge displayed below, you will need to pay that daily charge to drive in central London.

£15.00 to £17.50 a day

Where it operates:

Central London only - check a postcode or location

Charging times:

07:00-18:00 Mon-Fri

12:00-18:00 Sat-Sun and bank holidays

No charge between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day bank holiday (inclusive)

Ezzie, I've just noticed that on the motorway.com ULEZ compliant test site this is what comes up ...

ScreenShot2023-07-04at12_34_53.thumb.png.61bd3120c45817a543f5426d09f25d61.png

... so maybe you can use this to indicate the problem with the TfL response. 😉

Thank you! I’m going to appeal and use CV the info I have here to challenge their decision (again)… 

If you’d prefer I didn’t use your reg please let me know, and I won’t of course.

Ez

1 hour ago, Ezzie said:

Thank you! I’m going to appeal and use CV the info I have here to challenge their decision (again)… 

If you’d prefer I didn’t use your reg please let me know, and I won’t of course.

Ez

If you need registrations currently in the public domain then I suggest you go to AutoTrader and select some 05/55s similar to yours, which is what I did in my earlier post.  Don't give in and good luck. 🤞

2 hours ago, Sundance said:

If you need registrations currently in the public domain then I suggest you go to AutoTrader and select some 05/55s similar to yours, which is what I did in my earlier post.  Don't give in and good luck. 🤞

Thank you! I won’t… 👍

This might be a date thing. The Lexus link above says they are compliant from January 2006 but the 55 reg ran from 1 Sep 2005 until 28 Feb 2006. Digging a little deeper, Euro 4 appears to have been started/available from 1 Jan 2005 but not compulsory for new registrations until 1 Jan 2006. Perhaps it's more about the date of registration than the reg number, i.e. TFL are working to the compulsory date of registration rather than the actual compliance of the individual vehicle? They say they work on the declared emissions of the car but that doesn't mean that's what they do in practice. That doesn't make it right but might be the point that needs arguing - knowing that is half the battle.  If you can check the emissions stated on your V5 against the standard or get a statement from Lexus (or perhaps it even says Euro 4 on the V5?) stating your actual car is Euro 4 that might solve it.

Good luck!

Edited by msdsx
Update and spelling

7 hours ago, msdsx said:

This might be a date thing. The Lexus link above says they are compliant from January 2006 but the 55 reg ran from 1 Sep 2005 until 28 Feb 2006

The RX400h was Euro IV compliant from launch in mid 2005.

My old 400h is showing as compliant on the TFL site. It was registered Dec 2005.

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

My old 400h is showing as compliant on the TFL site. It was registered Dec 2005.

Thanks .. I’ve tried twice and now it’s an official appeal… I checked 4 cars for sale on Auto trader… all 05 or 55, all compliant… I think another poster has it right, it must be a database issue… 

4 hours ago, Ezzie said:

Thanks .. I’ve tried twice and now it’s an official appeal… I checked 4 cars for sale on Auto trader… all 05 or 55, all compliant… I think another poster has it right, it must be a database issue… 

What's the basis of the appeal? If you are saying their database is wrong you need to back it up with evidence and pointing to other cars might not cut it (it wouldn't in court) if they are working on stated emissions (presumably from DVLA). If the DVLA or TFL are wrong you need to show why. Check your V5 emissions against the Euro 4 standards, if they are in tolerance then a copy of the V5 is indisputable evidence. Alternatively, get a letter from Lexus stating your car's Euro standard, again, indisputable evidence. Don't fall into the trap of just telling them they are wrong, they will just say they aren't. Sorry for the grizzled old lawyer bit but I've seen many people being right but losing because of lack of evidence or just thinking being right is enough...

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It's obviously not a date issue with the TFL database then.

• 4 months later...

Bought SUV Lexus Rx400h  year 2005 with belief its hybrid.Started to get penalty charge from TFL

Checked TFL site which shows that exempt are only registered after 2006.Please any suggestions

from anybody in similar situation .

On 11/30/2023 at 1:47 PM, Bro said:

Bought SUV Lexus Rx400h  year 2005 with belief its hybrid.Started to get penalty charge from TFL

Checked TFL site which shows that exempt are only registered after 2006.Please any suggestions

Bizarre. My 55 plate RX400H was in London on Sunday. Paid congestion charge. No ULEZ. States exemption on tfl site.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:47 PM, Bro said:

Is it a ULEZ penalty or congestion charge one?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links