Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

JDM Castle Combe event

I usually go to the annual JDM Castle Combe event, and have been for the last few years.  You usually get the usual mix of 'Jap' car enthusiasts and the more custom/modding scene crew (similar to Japfest that I missed this year).  Well I went to the event this weekend and it just felt like a weird vibe with the people there, the demographic seems almost totally tattooed-up guys and girls 19-25 with an almost Cosplay/Manga sub-culture thing going on, and not from the best parts from whatever towns they live in.  I really felt like an outsider at an event I should really feel at home at given my previous attendance, and ownership of Lexus, Toyota and Mazda cars over the years.  There were some great cars in the various parked display areas, but overall it felt like quite a downmarket/rough event this year - shame.. 😞

Still Goodwood this week, so the other end of the social spectrum LOL!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Grey One said:

I usually go to the annual JDM Castle Combe event, and have been for the last few years.  You usually get the usual mix of 'Jap' car enthusiasts and the more custom/modding scene crew (similar to Japfest that I missed this year).  Well I went to the event this weekend and it just felt like a weird vibe with the people there, the demographic seems almost totally tattooed-up guys and girls 19-25 with an almost Cosplay/Manga sub-culture thing going on, and not from the best parts from whatever towns they live in.  I really felt like an outsider at an event I should really feel at home at given my previous attendance, and ownership of Lexus, Toyota and Mazda cars over the years.  There were some great cars in the various parked display areas, but overall it felt like quite a downmarket/rough event this year - shame.. 😞

Still Goodwood this week, so the other end of the social spectrum LOL!

I went to several Japfest events when it was at Castle Coombe and really enjoyed them but that was in the days when I had an RX7.

There was always a big Honda NSX group and the young Japanese girls always wearing outrageous attire, I can't remember what the style is but it was cute.

Always remember the Police stopping virtually every other car leaving which did put a bit of a downer on a nice day.

Just a sign of the times I guess.

'Players' at Goodwood is better, not Jap specific, but the people and culture is cooler and more welcoming, went as a spectator only this year but will definitely take the LS in the future.

Also Daikoku at C&M is brilliant.

FoS has been ever improving, it went a bit dull for a bit, but since Duke's son has taken the reigns, diversity has definitely ramped up. Bonus of being a member means discounts 😛

In my humble opinion, it seems that the lifestyle for some has taken over from the cars. Projecting a car culture lifestyle without any great interest in cars, well that works for some people, personally I just love the cars and driving bit. 

To be fair, the people "not from the best parts" of their relevant town, may say that Goodwood has its fair proportion of people with zero actual interest in cars who are cosplaying as toffs just to be seen. Sounds similar to me, To each their own etc.

8 hours ago, EP80 said:

In my humble opinion, it seems that the lifestyle for some has taken over from the cars. Projecting a car culture lifestyle without any great interest in cars, well that works for some people, personally I just love the cars and driving bit. 

To be fair, the people "not from the best parts" of their relevant town, may say that Goodwood has its fair proportion of people with zero actual interest in cars who are cosplaying as toffs just to be seen. Sounds similar to me, To each their own etc.

Fair comment and I agree with what you say...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links