Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Space saver wheel for the LC

Flytvr

Has anyone managed to find a space saver wheel for the LC500.

I have runflats on mine, but still got stranded at the weekend. I don't want that happening again!

Try Carnoisseur.The were very helpful and knowledgeable when I bought from them recently.Ask for Patrick.You may find fitting it in the LC boot a bit of a squeeze.

There was at least one thread about this in relation to the RCF a few years back. I recall that nobody had a good solution, even though it seems it is a Lexus option in some markets (Singapore I think?)

Things may have changed since, so I'll keep track of this thread in case a company is now offering them

1 hour ago, MNMJ said:

There was at least one thread about this in relation to the RCF a few years back. I recall that nobody had a good solution, even though it seems it is a Lexus option in some markets (Singapore I think?)

Things may have changed since, so I'll keep track of this thread in case a company is now offering them

See my post above yours.As far as I could ascertain the large front calipers on the RCF and RC f sport are the same size and from memory Carnoisseur do a space saver too for the RCF.

2 hours ago, eightk said:

A company called road hero do one - full kit inc Jack etc for £285. I have no experience of it but they get good reviews for spare wheels for other cars.

https://motornuts.co.uk/lexus-lc500-and-lc500-h-2018-onwards-roadhero-space-saver-wheel-and-tyre-kit

image.png.6d881d9f2b483b88461bf65aa416fe2d.png

Not sure why that's listed as compatible for the LC500.....

I contacted RoadHero yesterday. They told me they had no compatible product.

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

Can I ask why there could be insurance implications ?.

I have a space saver for my GS F and save for having it laying in the boot I like the security of having it should an issue occur as I am not a fan of the gung supplied to allow a temporary  fix that would lead no doubt to having to have a new (not cheap) tyre.

3 hours ago, Flytvr said:

image.png.6d881d9f2b483b88461bf65aa416fe2d.png

Not sure why that's listed as compatible for the LC500.....

I contacted RoadHero yesterday. They told me they had no compatible product.

Thanks anyway.

Ah. I was thinking about getting one. Oh well, as you were...

5 hours ago, Flytvr said:

The other issue is insurance. Even if I could locate a space saver, what are the insurance implications?

If you want reassurance, call your Insurers.  

My Lexus came with an SS as original equipment.  I may have missed it, but what was yours supplied with?

In any case, the SS is approved for emergency use and has speed and range restrictions.  In the event of a potential claim while using one your Insurers would have to demonstrate that these restrictions had been exceeded.

Well….good luck with that!

Ever since I got stranded one morning by a flat tyre on a Sunday I’ve carried an electric pump in the car which goes in the cigarette socket.  You can pump up and test how long the tyre takes to go down, then use that calculation to limp somewhere, topping up along the way.

• Like 1

All good points.

IF I can get a space saver, it's a no brainer. The LC500 comes with a jack, but no spare.

As for tyre gunk - I've not had great experiences with it. As for runflats, they won't handle a heavy impact on a pothole.

I've contacted Lexus UK to see if they can recommend something.

Question to you all. The tyre widths front and back are different on the LC. Are the actual wheels different?

Also, does the stud pattern ressemble any other Lexus vehicles e.g. LS?

2 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Question to you all. The tyre widths front and back are different on the LC. Are the actual wheels different?

Also, does the stud pattern ressemble any other Lexus vehicles e.g. LS?

In a word, yes, they are different. As I recall, the front wheels are 8.5J and the back 9J. The stud pattern should be common to all Lexus models. In practice, I shouldn't think it would matter if you had a wrong width wheel given the space savers tend to be "skinnies". Clearly you need the right wheel if you intend to motor distance and at speed but as a get you home, a slightly wider or narrower shouldn't present any problem. I stand to be corrected here, but as I said if a skinny space saver is okay then why not?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian R said:

In a word, yes, they are different. As I recall, the front wheels are 8.5J and the back 9J. The stud pattern should be common to all Lexus models. In practice, I shouldn't think it would matter if you had a wrong width wheel given the space savers tend to be "skinnies". Clearly you need the right wheel if you intend to motor distance and at speed but as a get you home, a slightly wider or narrower shouldn't present any problem. I stand to be corrected here, but as I said if a skinny space saver is okay then why not?

That all makes sense.

So, just need to find a Lexus wheel tyre combo that is 21 inch and skinny.

The important thing to get right with spacesavers is to ensure there is adequate clearance from the brake calipers to the inner part of the wheel and between the tyre and bodywork..The correct spacesaver tyre/ wheel will bear no relation to the tyre it's is replacing.. especially the profile.

As I suggested a few days ago,give Patrick at Carnoisseur a ring .

• Like 2

Carnoisseur sorted the space saver for my GS F and were very accomodating, so long as it clears the front calipers etc etc.

They were prepared to take the 'kit' back should there had been an issue with fitment.

20220923_142541.jpg

20220923_142527.jpg

20220923_142533.jpg

Edited by Duggie B
To attach pictures
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

The important thing to get right with spacesavers is to ensure there is adequate clearance from the brake calipers to the inner part of the wheel and between the tyre and bodywork..The correct spacesaver tyre/ wheel will bear no relation to the tyre it's is replacing.. especially the profile.

As I suggested a few days ago,give Patrick at Carnoisseur a ring .

Thanks David I will reach out to them

next week 👍

Duggie's photos illustrate my point exactly (thanks Duggie).I was able to buy my spacesaver without the usual jack and superfluous items in the kit.Ordered lunchtime,delivered 8.30 am next day.

• Like 1

When considering an F-Type Jaguar a few years back, I asked about spare wheels. Their comment was along the lines of "whilst you may be able to carry a space saver, if you have a puncture, there is nowhere to put the full-size wheel". That made sense to me; would you want to leave £1000+_of tyre and wheel at the roadside, or kick out a passenger?

Is there room in the LC boot, or backseat, to put a wheel if needed?

43 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Is there room in the LC boot, or backseat, to put a wheel if needed?

Very good point and 100% spot on! In a word no, it will not go in the boot but maybe in the rear seats area, albeit I would imagine a real game and a half. These wheels are not light weights, and the prospect of lifting one in/out of the rear seats would be daunting!

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

Very good point and 100% spot on! In a word no, it will not go in the boot but maybe in the rear seats area, albeit I would imagine a real game and a half. These wheels are not light weights, and the prospect of lifting one in/out of the rear seats would be daunting!

It should go in.. my wife and the AA got a large rear tyre off my Porsche into the car a few years ago,one of its numerous punctures .

7 hours ago, DavidCM said:

It should go in.. my wife and the AA got a large rear tyre off my Porsche into the car a few years ago,one of its numerous punctures .

I suspect in the cabin, yes, but the thought of manhandling one into the rear would not be for the faint-hearted. I guess you could put it on the passenger seat and then house your passenger in the rear. In fairness, they might have something to say about that especially if they are any size. As for the boot, then most definitely not. For me at least, I think I would be looking to Green Flag to get me out of trouble. 😀

13 hours ago, Brian R said:

If you put it in anywhere in the cabin you better have a black interior- red, tan or (heaven forbid) white will not take kindly to stuffing tyres in and out, even if you had the strength for a rear.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links