Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I kind of know the answer and just hoping I am wrong and missing something... but is there any way to disable TPMS on GS mk3?

Why? First, because it is absolutely useless outside of rare case of getting complete tyre failure and sudden loss of air... because it does not show tyre pressure, nor which wheel is low and for me it is simply easier to check that myself with gauge, than it is with Techstream and then guess which sensor is in which wheel. Secondly, the cost of fitting the sensors for what is basically useless feature (even thought I have 2 set of GS wheels and all together 10 TPMS sensors, it would still be like £160 just to refit them to new wheels).

So if there is any possibility of simply disabling the TPMS I would rather take that option, than wasting £160 fixing something that is annoying at best. 

14 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

First, because it is absolutely useless outside of rare case of getting complete tyre failure and sudden loss of air... because it does not show tyre pressure, nor which wheel is low and for me it is simply easier to check that myself with gauge,

I would certainly agree that in the event of complete tyre failure and sudden loss of air, you wouldn’t need TPMS to inform you about it!

But surely more common is the gradual loss of air that is not immediately apparent as a change in the car’s handling characteristics.  This could be caused by leaking valves, damaged rims, foreign objects, tyre porosity caused by age and wear and so on.

Even a casual glance at the tyre may not reveal it.  Only regular inspection with a tyre gauge might catch it and I have no doubt that Linus is one of the relatively few who would conduct such checks.

But Lexus has to consider the majority, less disciplined customer, who probably should not be given the ability to disconnect safety related warning systems.The problem with an insidious pressure loss is that an under inflated tyre will generate higher temperatures and suffer increased wear.

I agree that the inability to identify a specific tyre is irritating, but at least the warning will act as an incentive to check all the tyres!

Yes agreed - for average person this sort of TPMS is better than nothing, for me it is more of a nuisance than anything else, because most of the time it triggers incorrectly, so basically I am driving with TPMS light with obstructs my view of more important things (like remaining range) despite me knowing the tyre pressure is correct and light was just triggered because of sharp corner.

I was actually surprised it didn't trigger at all when I replaced the wheels, but that was short lived - half way from London to Birmingham TPMS decided to start working and informed me that I was apparently driving without wheels for last 100 miles. Now when I clear the code for TPMS it triggers only when I take sharp turn at speed... which doesn't inspire confidence in me to trust the system works at all... 

I guess workaround would be to press button that switches between main and second set and that should get rid of the fault until next sharp corner. The other solution I am thinking off - just put 4 sensors in the boot, set warning to 0PSI (not actually sure that is possible) and just carry them around. 

• Like 1

I made a sealed container using 1 sensor to inflate putting the other three loose inside and placed this in the boot. Worked fine. Use a metal container as the plastic ones are difficult to keep sealed as they expand with the pressure. There is a thread somewhere on here.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:31 PM, NemesisUK said:

What year was the car first registered, as a working TPMS system is an MoT requirement on cars after 2015

No it is 2006, so not legal requirement to have them - but I was thinking about the MOT and whenever they would give advisory or would outright fail it. As I understand they shouldn't as it is not VSC light, but to be safe I will be putting original set of wheels when it comes to MOT time just to be safe. 

pre 2012 models they ignore the warning lights for this. I had the same situation when changing the batteries in mine which coincided with the MOT. I confirmed this with the tester as I had the same concerns as you and had nothing noted.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links