Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Faulty TPMS sensor?

I had all 4 tyres replaced by ATS Euromaster this morning - it drove home fine but the TPMS light came on this evening and stayed on despite 40 miles of driving. Plugged my Carista OBD in just now and one of the tyre sensors shows an error code, can't be read. What's the likely cause - faulty sensor (damaged during tyre change?)

Would it best to take it to Lexus to get it fixed?

I would check all your tyres are at the right pressure then do a reset with the switch below the steering column. Not easy to find but have ignition on and keep pressed until tpms light flashes. I have just renewed my sensors and even though I had programmed the new ones with Carista they needed resetting when I got in the car.

I've tried resetting, but the TPMS light is permanently on (not flashing) and holding down the reset button doesn't cause the light to start flashing, so it doesn't seem to start the reset process? Hmm...

Looks like the sensor may have gone. I have just had my wheels refurbed and new tyres fitted that’s why I changed the sensors as they were 10 years old and didn’t want to have to change one due to a Battery failure in the near future. If ATS broke one when changing your tyres and fitted another sensor they might think the system will learn the id of the new sensor but don’t think that is the case with Lexus because they need to be programmed with Carista as you know. I’d take it back and get them to check the sensor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Personally I would take it back to the tyre shop in the first instance.

I would agree.

After all, presumably there was no problem with the valve before ATS changed the tyre?  In fact I had the same problem when I had one tyre replaced. On returning to the tyre shop, the mechanic simply said I should drive around for an hour or so and it would reset.

I pointed out that I’d already been doing that!  In fact, I persevered with the reset button and eventually that worked.

However, there are other points to consider.  If ATS did indeed damage the valve and/or replace it, then the system has to be recalibrated to recognise it.  But ATS should know that.

Alternatively, these valves have between 5-10 years Battery life, depending how frequently the system has been activated.  So if one has now failed, then the others may not be far behind.

In the first instance, ATS should be able to confirm your own Carista finding and should be able to supply an equivalent valve.

When I replaced one it was £65 - rather less than one from Lexus.  It may be just coincidence that it failed after a tyre change, but ATS  should have spotted the warning light.  At the very least, they should waive the fitting charge!

There were no problems with the sensors prior to today. Only new tyres (and valves) were installed but the TPMS sensors weren't replaced - I've checked my list of TPMS serial numbers from last year and all 4 on Carista are still the same, it's just that one can't be read - the car is coming up to 8 years old so I'm tempted to think the Battery has gone and it's no longer transmitting? I drove 120 miles after getting the tyres fitted and no TPMS warning light at all - so the sensors were still working when I'd left, but later in the day, one was giving an error and can't be read.

I once had a similar problem caused by a faulty sensor.  I had changed tyres shortly before and, being about to leave on a long trip, couldn’t wait for the replacement sensor ordered by my dealer - this not being a regularly stocked item. 

There was nothing to worry about since the pressure of the relative tyre was OK, but a month’s driving with the TPMS warning light on was extremely irritating.

10 hours ago, hdp00 said:

There were no problems with the sensors prior to today. Only new tyres (and valves) were installed but the TPMS sensors weren't replaced - I've checked my list of TPMS serial numbers from last year and all 4 on Carista are still the same, it's just that one can't be read - the car is coming up to 8 years old so I'm tempted to think the battery has gone and it's no longer transmitting? I drove 120 miles after getting the tyres fitted and no TPMS warning light at all - so the sensors were still working when I'd left, but later in the day, one was giving an error and can't be read.

Yup 8 years sounds about the life of the Battery. If you want a cheaper solution there are videos out there on how to change the Battery yourself but its not quick or easy and will need you to take the sensors home as it requires soldering. Also i recommend changing all 4 if you go down that route as if one failed the others will too soon enough. Also driving with the TPMS light on is an MOT fail apparently so ensure you sort it before your MOT

So... an update...

Went back to ATS, they confirmed no new TPMS sensor had been damaged/replaced during the tyre changes, but checked with an Autel MaxiTPMS tool and confirmed that one of them was not giving any reading. 

Contacted my local Lexus dealer (as I'm booked in for a 100k service next week anyway) and they said they'd be happy to take a free look as I'm coming in next week anyway.

On the way to the Lexus dealer, the TPMS light suddenly went off - checked with Carista on arrival and that sensor was no longer giving an error, all 4 were reading.

Lexus took a look anyway and confirmed all 4 batteries were still fine. They said after a tyre change, sometimes the sensors take a while to "re-activate", adjusting to a large deflation/re-inflation which throws them off. It took around 150 miles of driving to re-activate it, but all is working fine now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links