Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cooling performance of hybrid battery low - HELP!

Hi people

Since last night, I have received this message as shown in the picture. When I turn the car on, it says 'cooling performance of the hybrid Battery is low l, consult a dealer' and it has got me fearing the worst.

I use the car for work and I mean the car seems to drive ok? I don't feel it has any issue with the Battery as the hybrid works. I have seen some forums on here stating that the Battery could be dusty and it just needs a clean but could it be worse than this?. Would appreciate it if anyone has experienced this then how did they resolve it. Thanks in advance again. 20230723_021006.thumb.jpg.12b153dfe482c6f88bff1a28d431abdf.jpg

46 minutes ago, Naz0072111 said:

Hi people

Since last night, I have received this message as shown in the picture. When I turn the car on, it says 'cooling performance of the hybrid battery is low l, consult a dealer' and it has got me fearing the worst.

I use the car for work and I mean the car seems to drive ok? I don't feel it has any issue with the battery as the hybrid works. I have seen some forums on here stating that the battery could be dusty and it just needs a clean but could it be worse than this?. Would appreciate it if anyone has experienced this then how did they resolve it. Thanks in advance again. 20230723_021006.thumb.jpg.12b153dfe482c6f88bff1a28d431abdf.jpg

Your hybrid Battery cooling system's filter is probably clogged. Its a fairly simple DIY if you have basic tools. Clean the vent duct and filter and the fan and put it back you should be fine. The issue is dealers do not clean it as part of any service. And only attend to it when you get that message on the dash. I recommend cleaning it once a year as it is essential to keep the hybrid Battery cool to get the best life from it. If it overheats it will get have a shorter service life and will need replacing sooner. How many miles have you done? 

Thanks guys.

@ColinBarber i will have a look at in the morning now. I have arranged an appointment to see someone who used to own a garage so can tell him to have a look at that and clean out the vent.

@Notamech thanks mate, it is on 140,000 as I use it for work. Do you know if the message goes off automatically or do I have to turn it off with the machine and hope it doesn't come back on? Also, i am guessing Battery is not gone yet then? If that goes then it costs a ridiculous amount.

As you say. The hybrid system is still working which suggests that your Battery is fine. If it has gone 140000 miles and no one has cleant it before it would seem to be the most likely cause. Yes if the Battery goes im sure you would have other symptoms rather than just a message on the dash. I think its around 2k for a brand new Battery from lexus. But you can get reconditioned ones elsewhere for less money. 

Also not very sure if the message goes off automatically. Once fixed I think it should though when you restart the car. 

What can have happened is damage to one of the Battery cells which is producing a load of heat.
Computer can't tell if its not getting cooled or is producing heat.

Or of course one of the fans might have blown as another option.

Hopefully it is just blocked air-vents as that is the simplest fix.

Worst case, you can talk to Richard at www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk
who can help. He replaced my 450h Battery for just over 2k (I went for the more
expensive option). He can also recondition the Battery, think that was £700 ish.

Hes well known on these forums and is really helpful.

7 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

What can have happened is damage to one of the battery cells which is producing a load of heat.
Computer can't tell if its not getting cooled or is producing heat.

The computer can tell on the IS300h as there are multiple temperature sensors within the Battery pack, and the system also knows what speed the fan is running - faulty cells with generate different error messages/codes. This error is highly likely to just be a partial blockage within the air duct/cooling fan but there is also the possibility that the blockage could be within the Battery itself which would mean a strip down, something best left to someone like Richard unless you are competent and comfortable working with high voltage DC.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

The computer can tell on the IS300h as there are multiple temperature sensors within the battery pack, and the system also knows what speed the fan is running - faulty cells with generate different error messages/codes. This error is highly likely to just be a partial blockage within the air duct/cooling fan but there is also the possibility that the blockage could be within the battery itself which would mean a strip down, something best left to someone like Richard unless you are competent and comfortable working with high voltage DC.

I'd completely agree that's the more likely scenario, but to properly do that it'd need a temperature sensor for every cell, which I am pretty sure it doesn't have.

So if the cooling is working well, it can shed that heat around multiple sensors. Since multiple sensors are now showing more heat than expected, it assumes the cooling system is dodgy rather than the cells.

Just done a little reading and apparently this can also happen if the fan resistance is above expected levels, IE cos the fan is clogged. 
This would make a lot of sense since he said it happens soon as he turns the car on, before any heat would have a chance to build up.

This link may help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links