Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic driving theories... ?

Diy

Does anyone have any thoughts on using automatic gearbox for engine breaking rather than riding the brakes for going down hills ? Also how long do you sit at red light before going into neutral ? Mainly interested in being kind to the car but if you have any performance related theories ( automatic + and -) , twisty bits or other this could be the place 🤔 

Yes always good practice to downshift for engine braking on a hill, riding the brakes is probably the worst option, cadence braking is a better option ie brake hard, speed up a bit then brake hard again.

I have read that putting into neutral actually causes more wear on the transmission than leaving in drive, personally I have always just left in drive unless at a complete standstill.

• Like 2

My old driving instructor always told me, "Gears to go, brakes to slow"

It's generally cheaper to replace pads and discs than transmission components.

As for putting the transmission into neutral, as Andrew says above, more likely to cause additional wear.

• Like 2

The handbook suggests that hybrids shouldn't be put into neutral whilst waiting at lights, etc but when I was on holiday in Japan earlier this year I noticed that every taxi (they were all hybrids) was put into neutral at the lights from a Toyota Crown to a Prius. Maybe transmission servicing is cheaper in Tokyo.

3 minutes ago, Zaros said:

when I was on holiday in Japan earlier this year I noticed that every taxi (they were all hybrids) was put into neutral at the lights from a Toyota Crown to a Prius. Maybe transmission servicing is cheaper in Tokyo.

Are you sure it was neutral and not park?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zaros said:

Definitely neutral.

this is off topic to the thread but a Toyota/Lexus hybrid cannot charge its Battery when in neutral, hence why you shouldn't leave it in that position, but just waiting a minute or two at lights isn't a problem (and doesn't cause harm, although it is completely unnecessary).

If they are moving into N then I suspect they are worried about being rear ended, or don't want their brake lights shining at the person behind.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

this is off topic to the thread but a Toyota/Lexus hybrid cannot charge its battery when in neutral, hence why you shouldn't leave it in that position, but just waiting a minute or two at lights isn't a problem (and doesn't cause harm, although it is completely unnecessary).

If they are moving into N then I suspect they are worried about being rear ended, or don't want their brake lights shining at the person behind.

Probably the latter as politeness seems to be intrinsic to the Japanese way of life. 

• Like 1

When coming down mountains in Germany I used the "simulated" manual mode, which allows you to set the maximum gear used, and switch that down as needed. It seemed to work reasonably well. Ordinarily I'd probably have used the brakes but, as there    was snow (and possibly ice), I preferred the gears over brakes.

As for sitting at a red light, I usually just leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake. If it's an extended wait, like a level crossing, then I put it in park. I don't think I've ever put the car in neutral. One thing to be aware of if using park is that it will unlock the doors if you've set your doors to lock and unlock that way.

Thanks for all the feedback, agreeing with everyone depending on road conditions that for me usually evolve using sport 3+4 for control on hills , twisty bits and around town. As for red lights I will stay in gear , that in my previous elderly Saab 95 was noisy and felt strained ( hence the enquiry ) . Can't remember the last time I was at a level crossing but point taken 😀 

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links