Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hello everyone! We have been looking to change our hatchback for a family (preferably SUV) car. Never had a Lexus, but have to say always i see one on the road they get my attention. Currently been looking at RX450h 16-17 plate ones. Maybe even the NX as well just not sure what the driver space and boot is like for comparison between the 2 models. Probably worth to mention space matter as I am 6,5ft and 250lbs guy 😄 , we have a small baby and a dog as well.  Any tips, suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated!  Many thanks! 

Having owned both the RX and NX, I can say….both are great cars. RX definitely has more passenger space but the boot it’s very very similar (check the technical details) 

The 2.5l engine in the NX feels somehow more agile and more responsive at low speeds especially in town so you might like it more. Best to do is try both and see what suits you. 

Both with F Sport package look and feel great to drive. 

Don t be scared to buy a high mileage one if it has full Lexus history. 

34-36 mpg for the RX on average and 39-43 mpg for the NX in case you’re wondering. But that’s with sensible driving style and mostly in the summer. 

• Like 3

Just now, John Walker said:

Having owned both the RX and NX, I can say….both are great cars. RX definitely has more passenger space but the boot it’s very very similar (check the technical details) 

The 2.5l engine in the NX feels somehow more agile and more responsive at low speeds especially in town so you might like it more. Best to do is try both and see what suits you. 

Both with F Sport package look and feel great to drive. 

Don t be scared to buy a high mileage one if it has full Lexus history. 

34-36 mpg for the RX on average and 39-43 mpg for the NX in case you’re wondering. But that’s with sensible driving style and mostly in the summer. 

When I say “feel great to drive” don’t imagine they get even close to a Porsche Macan or Cayenne. 

PS : RX is more comfortable if this what you re after. 

I’ve not owned an NX, but drove one for a few days. I much prefer the RX. As has been mentioned, get an insurance quote before you plan as it seems all Lexus models are attracting high premiums recently  

I’m 6”3 and have found my preferred/comfortable driving position in my RX without the driver seat fully back. There is therefore plenty of room in the back behind my for an adult to be comfortable too. Our family has two children and a dog and on a recent 1000 mile trip with everyone’s luggage for 4 days away, the boot was big enough for my wife to find space to bring things home. It’s not best in class for space, but it’s more than big enough in reality.

All around, it’s a difficult car to fault. Comfortable at speed, takes imperfections in the road well and, for a 3.5 V6 SUV, is economical at around 35mpg.

• Like 1

Might have a bit more space without the panoramic but I wouldn’t buy one without it. All the charm it’s there. The NX is even better, has a huge moon roof (doesn’t open but you get unobstructed amazing view) 

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

I believe the ones without the panoramic roof have slightly more headroom.

1 hour ago, therealrjp said:

I’ve not owned an NX, but drove one for a few days. I much prefer the RX. As has been mentioned, get an insurance quote before you plan as it seems all Lexus models are attracting high premiums recently  

I’m 6”3 and have found my preferred/comfortable driving position in my RX without the driver seat fully back. There is therefore plenty of room in the back behind my for an adult to be comfortable too. Our family has two children and a dog and on a recent 1000 mile trip with everyone’s luggage for 4 days away, the boot was big enough for my wife to find space to bring things home. It’s not best in class for space, but it’s more than big enough in reality.

All around, it’s a difficult car to fault. Comfortable at speed, takes imperfections in the road well and, for a 3.5 V6 SUV, is economical at around 35mpg.

The RX it’s been criticised a lot for the boot space at around 450 liters, seems like a bad joke in comparison to other competitors at over 600-700 liters BUT many people don’t realise how much space the RX has for the back seats, I ve sat in plenty SUVs and  not many can match the space of the RX. Maybe the newest MB GLE and Volvo XC90. 

Also don’t forget you can move the back seats towards the front which gives you more space in the boot. I find it big enough 

• Like 2

If it is as much space as possible you need - then get an RX but as Colin suggests, get an insurance quote for the RX and NX.

The NX boot is not as large as the RX and the back seats do not adjust. NX is more economical on fuel and road tax. Look at both side by side, if you can, to compare. Either car will be very pleasing!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links