Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Theft attempts with no success

1 hour ago, LenT said:

As has been pointed out, disconnecting the power supply can have a downside.  But the concept of a ‘Kill Switch’ is very appealing  - and something I fitted years ago to Lotus Elan convertible.

Rather than isolating the battery, I have mentioned in other threads  an ingenious solution which involves isolating the fuel pump.  This means that if the thief manages to start the engine, it will simply churn away, gradually flattening the battery.

Few thieves are going to stick around to run a diagnostics check.  Or call the AA!

It’s a DIY job and I’ll post the link again if anyone’s interested.

They are using the headlight wire, I am not sure if a relay cutoff could be installed that will kill the power from the headlight wire, this will definitely stop the thieves unlocking the car and starting it.

I have seen some advertising of relay with cutoff remote that can replace the original relay.

22 hours ago, Mad_4u said:

They are using the headlight wire, I am not sure if a relay cutoff could be installed that will kill the power from the headlight wire, this will definitely stop the thieves unlocking the car and starting it.

I have seen some advertising of relay with cutoff remote that can replace the original relay.

No they're using the canbus ecu so I'd imagine it's not something you can immobilise without a Ghost or similar.

Re the complete electrical cut out option - there used to be a similar big cut out relay that kept a low current fused feed to the car across the opened relay to keep teh clock, alarm etc running. As soon as the car starts the fuse pops and it's game over.

• Like 1

As NX owners you *really* need to hassle Lexus Customer Services, your local dealer and Lexus via any social media means possible - you need a metal plate solution just as much as me (LC) and the remaining RX owners.

I have a Tracker, Immobiliser, Smart water and other entertaining things on my car but the problem is the bumper would be ripped off before the thieves realised. Annoying!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up from the RAV4 forum. It's a detailed read but worth it if you're interested in the technology associated with CAN bus thefts.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/04/crooks-are-stealing-cars-using-previously-unknown-keyless-can-injection-attacks/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Picked this up from the RAV4 forum. It's a detailed read but worth it if you're interested in the technology associated with CAN bus thefts.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/04/crooks-are-stealing-cars-using-previously-unknown-keyless-can-injection-attacks/

Just one further point. On the RAV 4 thread they showed a video of another CAN bus theft though this time they accessed the CAN by pulling out the front bumper. This would seem to cast doubt on the retro fitting of a steel plate in the wheel arch unless the Lexus is wired differently 

On 8/10/2023 at 1:35 PM, Duggie B said:

As soon as you inform your insurance company it will have a negative impact on your renewal invitation, claiming or not still goes against you as it is recorded as an event.

yes... Your Absolutely Correct in what you say Doug..Insurance companies will use any excuse Whether the incident is your fault OR NOT to hike up your premium The following year and this will be recorded with the central bureau Claims department and will be held on record even although you had no part in the incident..Terrible !!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Just one further point. On the RAV 4 thread they showed a video of another CAN bus theft though this time they accessed the CAN by pulling out the front bumper. This would seem to cast doubt on the retro fitting of a steel plate in the wheel arch unless the Lexus is wired differently 

On the RX I believe the steel plate covers the headlight ecu in the wheel arch. Maybe the RAV4 has it mounted closer to the front bumper. I’d guess it’s the same principle - find it, plug in your dodgy electronics, steal car.

I needed a cat 5 tracker for my Lexus insurance and I upgraded for £100 to include immobilisation - no fob, no start, so the theory of stealing the car and leaving it for a while to see if the tracker is being monitored won’t work - they’d have to rip it out on-site/where the car is being stolen from. I’ve seen what’s involved in accessing the wiring that’s immobilised while it was being installed and honestly there’s no chance of taking it without a tow truck, without my fob or without stripping out a LOT of the electronics to get anywhere physically close to being able to bypass the immobiliser. I can track the car anywhere and view speeds and I think I can remotely immobilise it via the app even if they’ve taken the fob. Recommended - but a sad state of affairs really that it’s needed.
Hassle your dealers!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Andy

What tracker did you go for?

Hi, I used a company called trackerteam who fitted a Scorpion S5 with immobiliser - I think it’s technically an S5+ because of the immobiliser. Sad that I needed it but it works very well. I paid extra for a second fob just in case. Try to move it without the fob present and you’ve got no chance. Trick is to keep the fob separate from your key!

There is an annual subscription needed as it must have a mobile phone chip or similar built into it for comms, or you can save a bit by going for a 2 year or 3 year sub if I remember correctly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eightk said:

Hi, I used a company called trackerteam who fitted a Scorpion S5 with immobiliser - I think it’s technically an S5+ because of the immobiliser. Sad that I needed it but it works very well. I paid extra for a second fob just in case. Try to move it without the fob present and you’ve got no chance. Trick is to keep the fob separate from your key!

There is an annual subscription needed as it must have a mobile phone chip or similar built into it for comms, or you can save a bit by going for a 2 year or 3 year sub if I remember correctly.

Yes.. Andy Have heard lots of good comments about this Company  Thanks for the heads up..!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, Spock66 said:

I believe technically you should always notify your insurance company of any incident.....

In practice depends on your excess and future impact on your policy, I think the wheel arch trims are reasonably cheap, but if the bumper is damaged that will be expensive.

If you notify the insurance company it will affect your renewal premium EVEN IF you do not claim on the insurance

On 8/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, Mad_4u said:

Hello All,

I just woke up this morning and found damage on my car Lexus NX 2017 F sport.

They try to access the wires trough the passenger side headlight but they could not open the vehicle.

So now what you suggest fix the damage myself or call the insurance?

FB0E85CC-7584-4A53-8C34-0024952A01CC.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

Sorry to read this Abdul. I would repair it myself - it appears though that you will either need to take the wheelarch trim off completely, and repair the clips that look to have broken off.

I have had success repairing lots of plastic things with either a hot soldering iron (literally melting it back together), or blow torch and stainless mesh - cut the stainless mesh to size, get it to red heat and drop onto the area needing repair, or combination of both. 

Alternatively buy a new wheelarch trim or get one from a breaker's yard, and fit it. Good luck either way - if you pass this to insurance there will be the usual feeding frenzy and will cost more than you thought possible - your NCB may go and the excess will be lost too. 

On 9/15/2023 at 2:39 PM, Nick0 said:

Sorry to read this Abdul. I would repair it myself - it appears though that you will either need to take the wheelarch trim off completely, and repair the clips that look to have broken off.

I have had success repairing lots of plastic things with either a hot soldering iron (literally melting it back together), or blow torch and stainless mesh - cut the stainless mesh to size, get it to red heat and drop onto the area needing repair, or combination of both. 

Alternatively buy a new wheelarch trim or get one from a breaker's yard, and fit it. Good luck either way - if you pass this to insurance there will be the usual feeding frenzy and will cost more than you thought possible - your NCB may go and the excess will be lost too. 

Thank you, the damage was only missing the fastener clips purchased it online for £10 and put everything back together.

Since the attempt when i park at night i just park it as much close i can be from the wall blocking access to passenger side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Friends of ours had their 18 plate F-Sport stolen from their drive last weekend and just seen another reported overnight on Facebook. Their neighbour's CCTV showed them at the wheel arch.

After their car was stolen we noted that our wheel trim was off and thought they must have been to ours first as they are only a road or so away, but CCTV showed no evidence.

However dashcam footage showed a few days earlier in a cinema car park, a dude trying the wheel arch. Not sure if he was disturbed, but no cigar for him that time.

We do have a secondary immobiliser that Lexus Insurance fitted free gratis a year ago, so, hoping this did the job and saved them thousands!

In our part of London we will soon have the only NX in the village 🤣

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I note on the RAV4 forum many owners are having the steel plate fitted to protect the canbus. The official part is supplied and fitted by Toyota dealers at a labour only cost of £70. Do we know for sure if the Newgen NX has the same canbus vulnerability?

On 9/15/2023 at 12:39 PM, MarcG said:

If you notify the insurance company it will affect your renewal premium EVEN IF you do not claim on the insurance

Absolutely Correct Mark..!! Information regarding any incident irrespective of fault is recorded with the Central insurance Claims Bureau...!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Absolutely Correct Mark..!! Information regarding any incident irrespective of fault is recorded with the Central insurance Claims Bureau...!!!

And THEN wait till you get your next years Premium...Its essential You have a Bottle of Brandy at Hand....

• Haha 1

Thanks guys i did not inform the insurance company to keep my premium as it but as you all aware the insurance prices going up with claim or without.

I just contacted customer relations @ lexus and was told that the protection palet introduced for RAV4 will not fit the NX.

And they don't have plan for now.

They redirect you to this link, and just read the comments to see how many NX and RX has been stolen.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/car-security-advice-and-tips.

On 10/22/2023 at 11:03 PM, Hayzee said:

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I note on the RAV4 forum many owners are having the steel plate fitted to protect the canbus. The official part is supplied and fitted by Toyota dealers at a labour only cost of £70. Do we know for sure if the Newgen NX has the same canbus vulnerability?

I will be picking up my NX 450h+ (MY24) this weekend and when chatting to the dealer last week he said they have taken steps to prevent the wheel arch related attacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazetta said:
On 10/22/2023 at 6:03 PM, Hayzee said:

I will be picking up my NX 450h+ (MY24) this weekend and when chatting to the dealer last week he said they have taken steps to prevent the wheel arch related attacks

lol

6 hours ago, Gazetta said:

he said they have taken steps to prevent the wheel arch related attacks.

In the current climate it may be wise not to spell out what those steps are.  There may be some dodgy characters reading these comments right now!  😡

Maybe when you collect the car, he’ll relent enough to write them down on condition that you eat the paper before driving off!  

So, Gary, here’s wishing you and your new Lexus many happy years …together.  😊

• Like 2

Gazetta - rather than publicise anything useful to thieves if your dealer ‘has taken steps to prevent wheel arch attacks’ it may be useful to name them here, then other owners can at least refer their own dealers to yours for advice. Here’s hoping they can use those same methods on my LC!

17 minutes ago, eightk said:

Gazetta - rather than publicise anything useful to thieves if your dealer ‘has taken steps to prevent wheel arch attacks’ it may be useful to name them here, then other owners can at least refer their own dealers to yours for advice. Here’s hoping they can use those same methods on my LC!

I think it is "Lexus" that has improved security in the later models rather the actual dealer doing something.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links