Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Theft attempts with no success

Hello All,

I just woke up this morning and found damage on my car Lexus NX 2017 F sport.

They try to access the wires trough the passenger side headlight but they could not open the vehicle.

So now what you suggest fix the damage myself or call the insurance?

FB0E85CC-7584-4A53-8C34-0024952A01CC.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Mad_4u said:

Hello All,

I just woke up this morning and found damage on my car Lexus NX 2017 F sport.

They try to access the wires trough the passenger side headlight but they could not open the vehicle.

FB0E85CC-7584-4A53-8C34-0024952A01CC.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

I can't comment on how much this will cost to fix but please write to Lexus and tell them your NX was subjected to a failed CANbus theft.  According to a Facebook post that @Herbie linked to, Lexus are currently saying that NX is not being targetted.  

Paul 

39 minutes ago, Mad_4u said:

I believe technically you should always notify your insurance company of any incident.....

In practice depends on your excess and future impact on your policy, I think the wheel arch trims are reasonably cheap, but if the bumper is damaged that will be expensive.

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

I believe technically you should always notify your insurance company of any incident.....

In practice depends on your excess and future impact on your policy, I think the wheel arch trims are reasonably cheap, but if the bumper is damaged that will be expensive.

The damage only on the clips holding the bumper they know how to take off the plastic clips I put everything back as it was but I need to order 4 clips for the wheel arch and bumper.

I wonder why, after supposedly getting access to the wiring in the wheel arch, they couldn't start the car and complete the theft. Maybe they were startled by something or someone - or maybe their tried and tested method of starting the car (aka the RX method) doesn't work on the NX (or at least your model of it)? We live in hope.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Andy B said:

I wonder why, after supposedly getting access to the wiring in the wheel arch, they couldn't start the car and complete the theft. Maybe they were startled by something or someone - or maybe their tried and tested method of starting the car (aka the RX method) doesn't work on the NX (or at least your model of it)? We live in hope.

No, my car Battery was dead as I have Battery cutoff in place.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Mad_4u said:

No, my car battery was dead as I have battery cutoff in place.

Can you tell us more about this¿? it doesnt affect other sistems¿?

1 hour ago, c0sty said:

Can you tell us more about this¿? it doesnt affect other sistems¿?

It’s a relay to disconnect the Battery completely so the car will be dead no response to any can bus theft or relay attack.

the down side you need to adjust the time on the car watch every time you use it like me every night.

Also you need to adjust the steering wheel position if it’s electric.

No other side affects 

it’s available on eBay - amazon - Aliexpress 

Here is a video for more info.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Would seriously consider this device over the ghost immobiliser..Only Downside is that your clock has to be reset everytime

I have Ghost immobiliser but this would act as of 1st defeat it will not allow them to use their device to unlock the car, you have a watch on your hand and a phone so it’s not really a big deal. 

They will try once and maybe give it a go on second attempt after that they will find other target even if they see your car every day.

Looks like this would be the same as completely disconnecting your Battery, so i would be concerned about, Radio settings, Cars Alarm system, including glass breaking sensors, tilt sensors, Dash cam movement recording, personal programable settings, ECU learning, mirror, seat, steering wheel settings. 

even if you just spend 10 mins changing a car Battery you lose some of this settings, but disconnecting the Battery for hour's , and possibly day's, iam not sure, he mentions the car is completely dead so its not just taking the power from the starting procedure, and what about Hybrid systems, i would have to do a lot of research before considering fitting this. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wendle said:

Looks like this would be the same as completely disconnecting your battery, so i would be concerned about, Radio settings, Cars Alarm system, including glass breaking sensors, tilt sensors, Dash cam movement recording, personal programable settings, ECU learning, mirror, seat, steering wheel settings. 

even if you just spend 10 mins changing a car battery you lose some of this settings, but disconnecting the battery for hour's , and possibly day's, iam not sure, he mentions the car is completely dead so its not just taking the power from the starting procedure, and what about Hybrid systems, i would have to do a lot of research before considering fitting this. 

Yes.. Agree With You Chris .More to this Than just re-setting the clock..Might Not Be such a good Idea..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

NOW..!!!!!!     I Might Be wrong But Would it Not Be A GOOD Idea To Put A Sticker Saying Ghost 2 Immobiliser On Your Car EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU DONT HAVE ONE FITTED That could Clearly be Seen by the NERDEWELLS To Deter them from Attempting to Steal Your Car.  .I Personally think that would Deter the MAJORITY of Thieves.. and also might just stop them from Trying to access the Wiring loop under the wheel Arch and doing more Damage..Psychology can sometimes be the scientific answer to the Problem..And of course i fully understand that the real professional will get your car but remember the Majority of car thieves are randon opportunists Out To Make a Quick Buck at your expense or simply a luxury joyride..Of Course this it just MY OPINION...But Worth thinking about Where could we get these stickers.. Come On Lets Beat The B******S

• Like 4

On 8/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, Spock66 said:
On 8/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, Mad_4u said:

I believe technically you should always notify your insurance company of any incident

As soon as you inform your insurance company it will have a negative impact on your renewal invitation, claiming or not still goes against you as it is recorded as an event.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

NOW..!!!!!!     I Might Be wrong But Would it Not Be A GOOD Idea To Put A Sticker Saying Ghost 2 Immobiliser On Your Car EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU DONT HAVE ONE FITTED That could Clearly be Seen by the NERDEWELLS To Deter them from Attempting to Steal Your Car.  .I Personally think that would Deter the MAJORITY of Thieves.. and also might just stop them from Trying to access the Wiring loop under the wheel Arch and doing more Damage..Psychology can sometimes be the scientific answer to the Problem..And of course i fully understand that the real professional will get your car but remember the Majority of car thieves are randon opportunists Out To Make a Quick Buck at your expense or simply a luxury joyride..Of Course this it just MY OPINION...But Worth thinking about Where could we get these stickers.. Come On Lets Beat The B******S

I was surprised when i had my Ghost fitter it didn't come with any stickers, you would have thought it would have been good advertising for the company as well as a visual deterrent for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

I have the sticker on the front windscreen and on the driver side window but that did not stop them to try to unlock the car, I am not sure if Ghost 2 immobiliser is affective but they did not had chance to test it.

For the Battery disconnect method I used, it’s personal choice that works for me but anyone want to use it, it’s their responsibility to test and use it.

One thing to mention here !!

I been parking my car on the same spot for over a year never had issue.

On the night before the incident my next door neighbour had issue on his car and RAC they sent a company they use for the service and my neighbour informed me he was looking at my car, next day the incident happen so I suspect him sending car location to someone.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, szhrmp said:

lexus is fitting (retro-fitting) RXs with new metal plates to make the canbus thefts more difficult.

do new NXs come with this plate or can it be added later?

From my reading of the various posts, the answer is currently 'no'. Lexus seem to be concentrating on fitting the plates to RX's in the London area, where the thefts are the most prolific. Some owners have reported that they have been told that Lexus is unaware of Canbus thefts of the NX! However, Lexus does seem to have had its head in the sand when it comes to some customer issues - at least in public, but things are happening behind the scenes.

My NX is being serviced next week and I have already told them that I would like a plate fitted if it is available (I am not expecting that it will be, but I'm forever hopeful and I want to get the issue raised within the dealership as worrying about theft reduces my enjoyment of the vehicle). If I learn anything more when I'm there, I'll post the information here.

• Like 3

Question is if the same plate fits the NX - maybe they offer it at an additional cost.

the statement about "not being aware of canbus thefts of the NX" is obvious BS.

I am wondering if I as consumer can determine if my NX has such a plate fitted or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szhrmp said:

I am wondering if I as consumer can determine if my NX has such a plate fitted or not.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to see a secondary plate fitted inside the upper wheel arch if it has been.

1 hour ago, szhrmp said:

Question is if the same plate fits the NX - maybe they offer it at an additional cost.

the statement about "not being aware of canbus thefts of the NX" is obvious BS.

Unfortunately the RX protection plate will not fit the NX - I already asked about this.

I agree that the "not being aware" line seems a rather thin excuse.

Paul

• Like 1

I am wondering if it is worth to install a third-party tracker into the car.

there are solutions which send an automatic alerts if the car is moved without a fob being present. but this is quite costly - as they require a subscription.

6 hours ago, szhrmp said:

I am wondering if it is worth to install a third-party tracker into the car.

there are solutions which send an automatic alerts if the car is moved without a fob being present. but this is quite costly - as they require a subscription.

As soon as they drive the car they will 1st start looking for a tracker and rip off most of the dash panels.

They will park the car somewhere they know for few days to see if someone will find it

On 8/8/2023 at 11:15 AM, Mad_4u said:

No, my car battery was dead as I have battery cutoff in place

As has been pointed out, disconnecting the power supply can have a downside.  But the concept of a ‘Kill Switch’ is very appealing  - and something I fitted years ago to Lotus Elan convertible.

Rather than isolating the Battery, I have mentioned in other threads  an ingenious solution which involves isolating the fuel pump.  This means that if the thief manages to start the engine, it will simply churn away, gradually flattening the Battery.

Few thieves are going to stick around to run a diagnostics check.  Or call the AA!

It’s a DIY job and I’ll post the link again if anyone’s interested.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links