Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Can you turn your lights off?

eightk

Calling early LC owners (or those outside Europe). Do you have an option to switch your headlamps off? Mines a 2021 and I have the options of sidelights, headlights or ‘auto = flashy flashy onny offy in cloud, dusk or when crossing a leyline’. It’d be really cool to be able to actually switch them off. Anybody with an early car - can you do this? If so, I’m tempted to see if I could ‘upgrade’ to a grownup headlight stalk.

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Why do you want to turn the headlamps 'off'?

It costs nothing to keep them on, it's arguably safer to have them on...?? 

In variable weather or going under trees and back out into brighter areas the headlights are far too sensitive, sometimes switching between dipped and running lights as often as every few metres. I have been ‘flashed at’ by oncoming traffic a couple of times - the LC dipped beams are quite bright and it’s very obvious when they’re on during daytime. I have the same nanny state problem with my wife’s Honda E. 

Simplest option if all stalks are the same is to put it into sidelight mode every time I start the car I suppose. 

12 hours ago, eightk said:

Calling early LC owners (or those outside Europe). Do you have an option to switch your headlamps off? Mines a 2021 and I have the options of sidelights, headlights or ‘auto = flashy flashy onny offy in cloud, dusk or when crossing a leyline’. It’d be really cool to be able to actually switch them off. Anybody with an early car - can you do this? If so, I’m tempted to see if I could ‘upgrade’ to a grownup headlight stalk.

Just been out and looked at mine and no you can't turn them off. Just as you have said, it's either Auto, sides only or headlights. There is no facility/ability to totally turn off your lights.

Now, having said that, I seem to recall there is a setting that allows you to adjust the light threshold at which "Auto" turns any light on. I'm pretty sure that is the case on the LC, but in fairness I might be wrong. I'll have a look see later and advise.

13 minutes ago, Brian R said:

Now, having said that, I seem to recall there is a setting that allows you to adjust the light threshold at which "Auto" turns any light on. I'm pretty sure that is the case on the LC, but in fairness I might be wrong. I'll have a look see later and advise

I’m pretty sure it will be there, it is on every other Lexus. 

10 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Why do you want to turn the headlamps 'off'?

It costs nothing to keep them on, it's arguably safer to have them on...?? 

Not the OPs problem but on a hybrid where you cannot run the radio etc. for more than a few minutes without impacting the aux Battery you need to be in Ready mode and the lights will be on. If I’m waiting for someone in a car park I often get other drivers wanting my space expecting me to start driving off because they see my lights on. In this scenario I’d like to be able to turn them off.

I've just been out and had a look and yes you can adjust the light sensitivity threshold. Go to the main menu, select "Settings" then "Vehicle" then the respective sub menu setting. You can then adjust up or down as necessary.

Frankly I'm not sure how much difference it will make but given it's the only option then suck it and see.

• Like 2

Thanks for fiddling Brian, it’s already set to -2 which I assume is the least sensitive setting. 
It’s not a major problem, it just annoys me I can’t control my own bl**dy lights! I was driving the Honda yesterday and was flashed by a Police van, almost definitely because the LED headlamps were momentarily on in broad daylight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eightk said:

Thanks for fiddling Brian, it’s already set to -2 which I assume is the least sensitive setting. 
It’s not a major problem, it just annoys me I can’t control my own bl**dy lights! I was driving the Honda yesterday and was flashed by a Police van, almost definitely because the led headlamps were momentarily on in broad daylight.

Hmm, curious Andy because I've never had that experience. Out of interest, do you see the green "side light" icon to the left of the speed/RPM display when this happens? I normally see it light up when I'm in significant shade but not in broad daylight. My setting is midway so in theory more light sensitive than yours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Not the OPs problem but on a hybrid where you cannot run the radio etc. for more than a few minutes without impacting the aux battery you need to be in Ready mode and the lights will be on. If I’m waiting for someone in a car park I often get other drivers wanting my space expecting me to start driving off because they see my lights on. In this scenario I’d like to be able to turn them off.

When I'm waiting in this scenario I turn the headlights to sidelights (positional) only.

4 hours ago, eightk said:

It’s not a major problem, it just annoys me I can’t control my own bl**dy lights! I was driving the Honda yesterday and was flashed by a Police van, almost definitely because the led headlamps were momentarily on in broad daylight.

I find this very curious, that a Police vehicle would flash it's headlamps for any reason, other than to alert another road user of it's presence, which is the only legitimate reason for doing so (rule 110 Highway Code) which the Police officers would know...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian R said:

Hmm, curious Andy because I've never had that experience. Out of interest, do you see the green "side light" icon to the left of the speed/RPM display when this happens? I normally see it light up when I'm in significant shade but not in broad daylight. My setting is midway so in theory more light sensitive than yours.

Yes, I get the green lights on symbol. Dappled light through trees and I can have the lights on the whole time. I'm wondering if mine's more sensitive - I'm going to try it for a bit with the sensitivity set to +2 (currently -2) and see what happens - you never know, it could be arse about face. I wouldn't expect it to be with Lexus though!

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I find this very curious, that a Police vehicle would flash it's headlamps for any reason, other than to alert another road user of it's presence, which is the only legitimate reason for doing so (rule 110 Highway Code) which the Police officers would know...

Definite flash of the lights and a hand over the eyes - standard Police transit type van. Or more likely it could have been a 'wow I love your Lexus' flash and a brief salute to my tastefulness.

• Haha 3

Actually, it's quite funny having come from TVR and Maserati forums, heck, even Tesla, Merc & BMW areas - my lights being (in my humble opinion, not the Takumi craftsmen!) slightly temperamental is a conversation piece.

I'm used to exploding flywheels, seized engines, Titanic-like corrosion, unfathomable electrical faults, piles of trim falling off... I LIKE my Lexus 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

When I'm waiting in this scenario I turn the headlights to sidelights (positional) only.

That's the best I can do, although it doesn't help if the person is seeing your rear lights that are on.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:37 PM, ColinBarber said:

I don't think the older ones are any different, and the stalks are the same design as used on the UX, ES and probably other models too - they don't have an 'off' position.

I’m in my RCF now and it’s not got an off either!  Never really thought about it before but if I don’t want my lights on at night, for example, I just switch to sidelights only…..I think!

Sidelights it is. But then it'll bong when I open the door because I'll have forgotten to turn them off. Although to be fair it bongs anyway because the doors open. Or the windows down. Or something. Too clever.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links