Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TAKUMI ELECTRIC SUNROOF - FAILING!

Hello all,

Bought a 2019 RC300H Takumi version (under 17,000 miles) about 3 months ago from a Lexus dealer and this model has the factory sunroof installed from new.

To my horror it sounds like it is about to fail as when I opened it yesterday it made a terrible creaking sound both on opening and then on closing.

It is nothing to do with the rubber seal or something simple like that it is something mechanical sounding.

Has anyone had this issue with their sunroof at all?!  

I am dreading what is going to happen and will contact a Lexus dealer... I only hope that their used car warranty is actually good and not one of those 'get out of repairing' types that second hand dealers offer otherwise I will not be buying another Lexus in the future.

I had the same model/year/grade and experienced the same creaking. I just asked the dealership to lubricate the sunroof (it was in for a service) and that sorted it perfectly.

• Like 1

If you bought it from Lexus dealer then as part of "Used Approved" scheme they usually (always?) offers 12 Month warranty which is very comprehensive and would definitely cover sunroof, but as Peter said it may just need lubrication.

I had 2017 RC, but as far as I know sunroof is 100% identical and not had any issues with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juicedrinker said:

Has anyone had this issue with their sunroof at all?!  

I have occasionally experienced minor but nevertheless irritating noises upon closing rather than opening the sunroof (or "moonroof", take your pick), which have aways gone away of their own accord.  Being an optimist, I attribute them not to any mechanical issue but to grit or other forms of dirt which as likely as not might have come unstuck from the surface of the glass if it is none too clean.  Also, although I can't really explain how it might have any direct effect on noises, it seems helpful to apply a rubber dressing such as GummiPflege to the external roof seal every once in a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

If you bought it from Lexus dealer then as part of "Used Approved" scheme they usually (always?) offers 12 Month warranty which is very comprehensive and would definitely cover sunroof, but as Peter said it may just need lubrication.

I had 2017 RC, but as far as I know sunroof is 100% identical and not had any issues with it. 

Hello @Linas.P it is good news to hear that about the warranty and I appreciate your reply as see that you have a lot of Lexus real world experience from the forums.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

I had the same model/year/grade and experienced the same creaking. I just asked the dealership to lubricate the sunroof (it was in for a service) and that sorted it perfectly.

Hello @NemesisUK, thank you for the reply.  Maybe it is just lubrication then and I am worrying about nothing (I hope).  Just had a battle with Toyota dealer regarding a fault on my partners Yaris (under 11,000 miles on the clock) which I had bought from them and found the issue could be rectified by a Technical service bulletin update regarding a replacement ECU due to the fault.  Anyhow after a long struggle they replaced the ecu free of charge and it all works 100% as it should do now but after that lengthy battle (over a year) I am dreading any future warranty work.

1 hour ago, Juicedrinker said:

Hello @NemesisUK, thank you for the reply.  Maybe it is just lubrication then and I am worrying about nothing (I hope).  Just had a battle with Toyota dealer regarding a fault on my partners Yaris (under 11,000 miles on the clock) which I had bought from them and found the issue could be rectified by a Technical service bulletin update regarding a replacement ECU due to the fault.  Anyhow after a long struggle they replaced the ecu free of charge and it all works 100% as it should do now but after that lengthy battle (over a year) I am dreading any future warranty work.

Are you prepared to name the Toyota dealer in question?  Not good after sales service!

2 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Also, although I can't really explain how it might have any direct effect on noises, it seems helpful to apply a rubber dressing such as GummiPflege to the external roof seal every once in a while.

The same comments as Renato,Peter and Linas.Its most likely a lubrication problem, possibly a bit of grit has got into the system,similar to window grating/grit problem.

As Renato said Gummipflege is a good idea on all the rubber, especially the inner thick seals around the frameless windows..by coincidence,Idid mine all round 2 days ago.

Another possibility -- there hasn't been a Lexus Reading van lurking around your house late at night?….....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Are you prepared to name the Toyota dealer in question?  Not good after sales service!

Hello @NemesisUK it was Hendy Toyota in Christchurch Dorset.  Basically I lived in Christchurch for nearly 30 years and so have a lot of friends there, places that I know really well, close family graves to visit often so am in and out of area at least once per month and bought the Yaris form them.  It is convenient for me for basic work like MOT and service but if it ever needs a large job done on it under warranty then I will have to use somewhere local like Reading as can't risk having to get back from Christchurch by train.  To be honest it was all a bit of a shambles when I initially bought the car, my fiance loved it but I noted a bad scratch on bumper and quite large dent on passenger door (which I knew could be sorted by paintless dent removal) plus passenger door handle didn't feel right in operation and it had only done 3,400 miles.  I ordered a rear bumper protector and arranged to collect the car a week later once they had fitted the protector, removed the dent and sorted out the scratch on the bumper.  When I went to collect the car the sales lady told me all had been done except she forgot to have the boot protector fitted.  However whilst improved there was still a small dent left on the passenger door, the scratch had not been touched on the bumper also.  She said she was told it had been done as best as possible which was a bizarre statement as the scratch on bumper had not been touched at all as per the photos I showed her that I had taken.  She apologised but of course the person who was meant to do it was not at work that day, also my fiances car was being part ex'd so insurance and tax finishing that day.  I took the car and said I will have to get the things sorted out myself, sales lady said she had put the bumper protecter in the boot.  Got home a couple of hours later and bumper protector not in boot, phoned the sales lady and she had it behind her desk so had to post it to me.  Paid a paintless dent remover that I know through my work and he completely removed the passenger door dent, I bought the correct Toyota paint and repaired the scratch so that it is gone and fitted the bumper protector myself.  A few weeks later I went to Reading Toyota as not happy about passenger door handle and they said that yes it was not working properly but it is just wear and tear so not under warranty!  I said how can a car that has only done (at that time) 4,000 miles have a door handle failing especially a passenger door handle that would have had less use than a drivers door and they said they didnt know but it is considered wear and tear so she has had to put up with it because I am not paying for the door handle mechanism when I paid a lot for the car in the first place.       

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

The same comments as Renato,Peter and Linas.Its most likely a lubrication problem, possibly a bit of grit has got into the system,similar to window grating/grit problem.

As Renato said Gummipflege is a good idea on all the rubber, especially the inner thick seals around the frameless windows..by coincidence,Idid mine all round 2 days ago.

Another possibility -- there hasn't been a Lexus Reading van lurking around your house late at night?….....

@DavidCM Ha ha ha very good..... there could well of been a Lexus Reading van as we are not that far from there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, Juicedrinker said:

Hello @NemesisUK it was Hendy Toyota in Christchurch Dorset.  Basically I lived in Christchurch for nearly 30 years and so have a lot of friends there, places that I know really well, close family graves to visit often so am in and out of area at least once per month and bought the Yaris form them.  It is convenient for me for basic work like MOT and service but if it ever needs a large job done on it under warranty then I will have to use somewhere local like Reading as can't risk having to get back from Christchurch by train.  To be honest it was all a bit of a shambles when I initially bought the car, my fiance loved it but I noted a bad scratch on bumper and quite large dent on passenger door (which I knew could be sorted by paintless dent removal) plus passenger door handle didn't feel right in operation and it had only done 3,400 miles.  I ordered a rear bumper protector and arranged to collect the car a week later once they had fitted the protector, removed the dent and sorted out the scratch on the bumper.  When I went to collect the car the sales lady told me all had been done except she forgot to have the boot protector fitted.  However whilst improved there was still a small dent left on the passenger door, the scratch had not been touched on the bumper also.  She said she was told it had been done as best as possible which was a bizarre statement as the scratch on bumper had not been touched at all as per the photos I showed her that I had taken.  She apologised but of course the person who was meant to do it was not at work that day, also my fiances car was being part ex'd so insurance and tax finishing that day.  I took the car and said I will have to get the things sorted out myself, sales lady said she had put the bumper protecter in the boot.  Got home a couple of hours later and bumper protector not in boot, phoned the sales lady and she had it behind her desk so had to post it to me.  Paid a paintless dent remover that I know through my work and he completely removed the passenger door dent, I bought the correct Toyota paint and repaired the scratch so that it is gone and fitted the bumper protector myself.  A few weeks later I went to Reading Toyota as not happy about passenger door handle and they said that yes it was not working properly but it is just wear and tear so not under warranty!  I said how can a car that has only done (at that time) 4,000 miles have a door handle failing especially a passenger door handle that would have had less use than a drivers door and they said they didnt know but it is considered wear and tear so she has had to put up with it because I am not paying for the door handle mechanism when I paid a lot for the car in the first place.       

You should really be taking these issues including the door handle issue to Lexus rather than Toyota. 

If its had lexus services it should still really be covered. 

17 hours ago, rayaans said:

You should really be taking these issues including the door handle issue to Lexus rather than Toyota. 

If its had lexus services it should still really be covered. 

Hi @rayaans, sorry there are crossed wires here, a person was refering to a recent battle that I had with Toyota to get a warranty fault repaired and that I did not want to go through the same thing with Lexus.

• Like 1

That shouldn't really be an issue, Lexus warranty is quite good, especially the 12 month sales one, because it works slightly differently from normal warranties, in a sense that you could argue even wear and tear items are included. It is more of Lexus promise to you that the car you buying is all in working order, rather than normal warranty where something may be broken but not covered. So the question is more whenever this fault existed before sale, or developed after sale. If you only owned the car for couple of months, then I can't see how they can say that creaking sunroof is caused by you.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links