Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealership offer of fuel cleaner

Dealership offered me a "fuel cleaning" additive at my last service. I turned it down without enquiring any further as I am more than capable of buying and pouring in a bottle of Redex myself. Out of pure curiosity has anyone else paid for this, how much did Lexus charge and any idea of what they actually put in your tank?

Many Thanks!

7 hours ago, Maxz said:

Dealership offered me a "fuel cleaning" additive at my last service. I turned it down without enquiring any further as I am more than capable of buying and pouring in a bottle of Redex myself. Out of pure curiosity has anyone else paid for this, how much did Lexus charge and any idea of what they actually put in your tank?

Many Thanks!

This is probably what they would add - it's a Toyota branded product - whether it is of any use can take pages if discussion on the forum... (I've posted one thread below about it - there's probably others. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner/

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

This is probably what they would add - it's a Toyota branded product - whether it is of any use can take pages if discussion on the forum... (I've posted one thread below about it - there's probably others. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner/

Yes, that was an interesting thread, Phil.

Referring back to it, I see that I suggested that the Lexus product supplied by Texaco was probably a repackaged version of their Techron detergent cleaner.

If Max is already using a Premium fuel (eg BP Ultimate etc) then he is already benefiting from an effective additive package.  Adding one bottle of Lexus branded stuff to a full tank, say, is unlikely to produce any significant detergent improvements.

Equally, unlikely to do any harm.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maxz said:

. I turned it down without enquiring any further as I am more than capable of buying and pouring in a bottle of Redex myself.

The Texaco product is nothing to do with Redex, of course, which is now owned by Holts.

The original ‘one-shot’ forecourt product from the brand launched in 1922 was an Upper Cylinder Lubricant useful when oil technology was nothing like as advanced as it is today.

The problem was that the oil film deposited on the cylinder walls would break down and drain off, reducing the degree of protection available on start up.  So the most significant period of engine wear was the metal-to-metal contact during cold starts.

The aim of the Redex shot was to reduce the rate at which this oil film exposed the metal.

In fact, even more effective is NOT to do what many drivers do - namely, give the throttle a last parting blip as they switch off!  This merely injects neat fuel into the cylinders which washes the oil film off the cylinder walls!

The correct procedure when switching off is to allow the engine to tick over for a few seconds first, thus allowing a protective film of oil to form.

Fot the curious, this is the current Redex range…

https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/

• Like 2

I use a bottle of redex every year on my Integra as it used to fail its MOT on emissions and the Garage told me to put a bottle in, go away and cane it about for 20 mins and bring it back. It would then pass. Whats important to note is that its a Jap import that only runs on Premium fuel so redex is doing something that fuel additives in premium fuel dont. All that said i was also asked by my Lexus dealer if i wanted fuel cleaner during my service which i agreed to, though i doubt they did it as they dont seem to do anything much when i give them it for a service.

Rob

On 8/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, agent_dess said:

I was asked back in Jan when i went in for service... i opted for it that time but its not something i would do regularly and yes it was chargeable.

Cool, how much did they charge out of interest? Just curious if it is just for the additive or + "labour".

I have bought a couple of these off Lexuscarparts, and have added them to a tank 3/4 full, before a long drive (going to south France for example). But I got them without the expectation that the car would be any different. I just thought if it's a Toyota product it won't do the engine any harm once or twice a year and it's not expensive.

4 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Confusing but that is what the paperwork says

I assume the that was the price for 2x of the bottles? Did they add both to the fuel tank or just one and you have one that you took away?

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

I assume the that was the price for 2x of the bottles? Did they add both to the fuel tank or just one and you have one that you took away?

They must have added it to the fuel tank.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 10:45 AM, agent_dess said:

Just had a look over the invoice....

2 x power max additive's £0.00
Engine Flush £41.66

Thanks for that, so dealership charges just under £10 labour to tip it in for the customer if it is £11.40 a bottle over the counter. Might have a go myself then if the dealership sells it from the parts counter (as Lexus parts direct you have to consider the £7 postage unless you live in Swindon and can pick it up!)

I'll time how long it takes to tip it in to work out the hourly rate. Might even be on more money than a premiership footballer for a few seconds of my life 🤣

• Haha 1

But what is the difference vs other fuel system cleaners that you can pick up locally? Why buy the official one when you can get redex for like 4 or 5 quid. Im sure even lexus / toyota source it elsewhere and don't make it themselves. 

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

But what is the difference vs other fuel system cleaners that you can pick up locally? Why buy the official one when you can get redex for like 4 or 5 quid. Im sure even lexus / toyota source it elsewhere and don't make it themselves. 

They are all different, but whether this is a good or bad one I don't know. Ideally you want something with PEA in it to try and remove carbon. Toyota don't make any fluids, this one is from Texaco and some of their products do have PEA so......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going for Redex, Tesco have tonnes of it in at the moment going half price if you have a clubcard. For £2.50 I couldn't resist so poured half of the two shot bottle in when I filled up on Saturday.

20230924_111608.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links