Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

In our 2002 LS430 we've had this problem for a while now but never got round to fixing it. The sat nav screen constantly says "check CD-Rom" with a Japanese translation also provided😀 It seems that the sat nav in in some of these cars can get quite temperamental, had a different issue with the sat nav in a facelift LS430 I bought some months ago as a restoration project.

Question is, do you guys think the reader in the boot is bad or could it actually be the nav disc itself? It does say to check the CD after all. I'm skeptical that a plastic CD could stop working but who knows?

Does anyone have a nav disc from a 52 plate LS lying around (attached image of the correct one) and/or is anyone looking to sell a nav disc reader? (would have to be part no. 86841-13020 as printed on side of our reader)

Just don't want to go buying a new reader if it could actually just be a bad old CD. Anyone had the same message? 

It would look way better with a working map screen. The other screens work when you press the other buttons, just not the map. Still want to get the map working though, it's one of the retro charming features of the interior in my opinion. 

Cheers,

hope everyone's well on the forum

Alex 

20230629_145151.jpg

20230723_134810.jpg

20230723_135200.jpg

Crikey, a 2001 DVD. Only 22 years out of date then. 🤣
CDs/DVDs were originally designed to be made of laminated glass with a silver foil data layer.
Those original CDs could be used as a coffee cup coaster, wiped off and put in the player and would work perfectly.
Then the accountants got involved and in the end CDs/DVDs got made from plastic and aluminium foil.
The plastic gets damaged or discolours, the aluminium corrodes, and the layers separate, so the actual DVD becoming unreadable it quite possible.
However, the location of the reader leaves it vulnerable to water and dirt getting in, and of course it can suffer from the inevitable dry solder joint (lead-free solder).

Hopefully someone near you has a pre-facelift so you can test with their DVD.

Edited by BigBoomer
Edited as Phil correctly pointed out it's a DVD. :-)

First of all it is not a cd player ,The dvd was brought in when the 430 came into existence prior to that the ls400 used a cd. Apart from the extra capacity the dvd offered it was  basically the same system although they are not interchangable units.

The same issue occurs with the cd player in the 400 I had to change mine a few years ago when it would freeze during operation and need a reboot to continue ,this entailed stopping  the car so was very inconvenient.

I still have the faulty unit as it may be a minor issue but at the time it was easier to get one from a breaker, probably impossible now.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's much help as it's from a post-facelift (2006) but I do still have the old Nav disc that was in my car, dated 2011. It is also an aftermarket one but worked fine in my car before I changed it for a more updated one.

I'd be happy to send it your way if it's any help.

35 minutes ago, DomTurner said:

Not sure if it's much help as it's from a post-facelift (2006) but I do still have the old Nav disc that was in my car, dated 2011. It is also an aftermarket one but worked fine in my car before I changed it for a more updated one.

I'd be happy to send it your way if it's any help.

Thanks so much mate but I think that it has to be the exact same disc that came with the car otherwise it won't read it. Sadly I can't find neither the same CD or the correct part number reader for sale online anywhere 😔 at least not for reasonable money. 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:11 AM, ambermarine said:

from a breaker, probably impossible now.

I don't suppose by any chance you kept the Radio /CD / Tape Unit from your Mk1  ?   I'd like to replace the " updated " Alpine unit that I have with this new to me Mk1

Thanks

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links