Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After going up massively this past year, my renewal is actually down a fair amount to the same price I was paying when I was 19 - still one of the cheapest cars to insure that I've looked at. I can't complain really when you see what other people my age are paying...

On 1/10/2024 at 11:51 AM, LenT said:

Curiously, Saga - who insure my wife’s car and every year pop up offering to take on the Lexus and undercut the AA by about £20 - this year thought I would find their quote of £900 irresistible!

Just for the record, SAGA came up with a revised offer of £652 but I had already accepted the AA's £640.  But as we are all surely well aware, it does demonstrate the value of not accepting the initial computer-generated value!

SAGA  ......... for possibly useless info ...........

When Roger de Haan sold out to the present owners, investors some 20 or more ? years back and pocketed £1.5bn for the business he had created from scratch ............ Saga has forever had challenges getting it quite right and challenges making money ..  or even covering it's financing costs . ..... the sometimes useless power of corporate investors eh !

The other day I read that his son, the arts guy in Folkestone,  De Haan, had just invested £150mn into Saga to help them out .......... 

Wonder if this is going to mean at some time the de Haan's family will once again be the SAGA owners and bring it back to it's ethos of helping the Over 50's Market 

Doubt anyone else can do it   .  a few potentials have tried to get it together to take them over for sure 

btw Roger de Haan I met doing a business deal about 25 years back .  a sound sane pleasant but businesslike guy at the time whatever ....  never met his son tho'

Malc

On 1/9/2024 at 2:31 PM, Edus Amedda said:

I usually change insurers every year, however, for the last three years no-one has been able to beat Chris Knott.  Adrian's Flux's quote was double.  I don't even bother with comparison websites anymore as they don't come close either.  I was about to call Hastings direct to see what they can offer, but can't find a phone number anywhere!  Ridiculous

Hi.

I'm sorry we weren't able to offer you a competitive quotation.

Regards,

Dan.

Well, esure still don't have enough staff to answer the phone, so I have gone with LV for my Home Insurance (£260). 
My esure renewal for the LS430 also came through at £335 (up from £257 last year) so they can forget that too.
I really don't want to do business with a company whose online "chat" system doesn't work, and whose phone lines are undermanned and overloaded.

I went with Hastings Direct for the LS430 as they have a good reputation and my partner has insured via them for quite a while.
Cost me £337 but that includes UK Breakdown recovery and zero Excess.
I also contacted my credit card provider to block esure from taking automatic renewal payments.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:31 PM, Edus Amedda said:

I usually change insurers every year, however, for the last three years no-one has been able to beat Chris Knott.  Adrian's Flux's quote was double.  I don't even bother with comparison websites anymore as they don't come close either.  I was about to call Hastings direct to see what they can offer, but can't find a phone number anywhere!  Ridiculous

Hi.

I'm sorry we were unable to offer you a competitive insurance quotation.

Regards,

Dan.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

I'm sorry we were unable to offer you a competitive insurance quotation.

Regards,

Dan.  

Hello Dan,

I am not suprised. Insurance is a selected business nowadays.

You will find some insurance companies are sister companies, I think Hastings, Hastings Ditect and Elephant are one company, I think.

Niaz

On 1/12/2024 at 11:04 AM, Malc1 said:

Wonder if this is going to mean at some time the de Haan's family will once again be the SAGA owners and bring it back to it's ethos of helping the Over 50's Market 

An interesting thought, Malcolm.

I bought some shares when they went public  - and they plummeted almost immediately!  I did think that being a shareholder might bring some benefits but if there are, they’ve passed me by!

Mind you, MrsT’s Suzuki 4x4 has always had good quotes from Saga and is currently on a three-year fixed price deal.  And I notice that they seem to have enough funds to finance very large cruise ships.  Pity we avoid large cruise ships like the plague!

On the very few occasions I’ve had to contact Saga, it’s been a very simple process and the individuals involved have been very pleasant to deal with.  Apparently that type of customer service costs a little extra these days!  

20 minutes ago, LenT said:

An interesting thought, Malcolm.

I bought some shares when they went public  - and they plummeted almost immediately!  I did think that being a shareholder might bring some benefits but if there are, they’ve passed me by!

Mind you, MrsT’s Suzuki 4x4 has always had good quotes from Saga and is currently on a three-year fixed price deal.  And I notice that they seem to have enough funds to finance very large cruise ships.  Pity we avoid large cruise ships like the plague!

On the very few occasions I’ve had to contact Saga, it’s been a very simple process and the individuals involved have been very pleasant to deal with.  Apparently that type of customer service costs a little extra these days!  

I’ve always found the Sales people very knowledgable and pleasant …… I’m just a little peeeed that when my 95 Ls400 reaches age 30 Saga won’t insure her they tell me ….. came as a bit of a surprise to the Sales Agent too when renewing my cover last time …… my 91 Ls400 is with Dan’s group so I’ll possibly have them both with his AF setup then …… I’ve been on the Saga 3 yr fixed deals too …… my 2006 Honda Legend  which is the youngster might continue unabated ……. let’s see, there’s zero “ loyalty “ from insurers methinks 

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links