Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had my renewal through from Hastings direct and without any  changes to my details, and due to price hikes it's gone up from £233.75 to £322.83 so an increase of £89.08. Obviously did the compare but found Hastings to still be the cheapest for me. I then went on top cashback and got £36 cashback so reducing it to £286.83. So all things considered, an increase on last year of £53.08. Still not happy but I've heard some horror stories so I'll have to settle for that. I dare say insurance companies will hike it up again next year.

4 hours ago, graham8370 said:

Mine went from £330 to £880, no changes in circumstances. Did all the comparison sites, couldn't get it cheaper.

Don,t You Think Graham it Depends on what kind of Mood the insurance companies are in Regarding fluctuating Markets But More importantantly What they can get away with...My insurance this year only went up Marginally whereas your's as Taken a Hike.. What,s the Mathematics / calculation Governing there prices or is it simply related to your Location Ie Risk factor Etc Prices on the Go-Compare site for the same quote can change Daily or indeed in the blink of an eye..Good grief its like dealing with the stock Market....Its a Nightmare..Car Insurance

9 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Don,t You Think Graham it Depends on what kind of Mood the insurance companies are in Regarding fluctuating Markets But More importantantly What they can get away with...My insurance this year only went up Marginally whereas your's as Taken a Hike.. What,s the Mathematics / calculation Governing there prices or is it simply related to your Location Ie Risk factor Etc Prices on the Go-Compare site for the same quote can change Daily or indeed in the blink of an eye..Good grief its like dealing with the stock Market....Its a Nightmare..Car Insurance

I think it's what they think they can get away with.

My renewal quote was £880, up from £560. Shopping around wasn't much help, but a quick call to my insurer resulted in a reduction to £660 for the same cover.

• Thanks 1

I went on a comparison website to sort out the comprehensive insurance for the New to Me Mk1 Ls400 I bought last month 

They mirrored the NCD earnt on existing Saga policy for my Mk3 Ls400 and Honda Legend ......  max 16 years it seems .  bit odd that but there we are ......  Full NCD mirrored

Then I had to make some adjustment to the quotation status .....  bigger wheels, 16" rather than the OEM 15" .  I just wasn't able to do that on the Comparison site with the Insurer they reckoned I should use 

SO I simply went to the nominated insurer and bypassed the comparison site and WOW WOW WOW exactly the same insurance with the same insurer ( Sterling / Adrian Flux/ Trinity ) but about £100 cheaper than thru the Comparison site  ( Supermarket summat or other ??? ) 

Maybe an idea for others to pursue with their new insurance ....

I'm sure they all make it up as they go along and try it on for sure !  Just to get what they think the punter will bear to pay eh !

Malc

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, lex - eleven said:

Just had my renewal through from Hastings direct and without any  changes to my details, and due to price hikes it's gone up from £233.75 to £322.83 so an increase of £89.08. Obviously did the compare but found Hastings to still be the cheapest for me. I then went on top cashback and got £36 cashback so reducing it to £286.83. So all things considered, an increase on last year of £53.08. Still not happy but I've heard some horror stories so I'll have to settle for that. I dare say insurance companies will hike it up again next year.

That's a certainty Mark Before i renewed I got a quote from Adrian Flux who tend to insure top end cars ..The price didnt seem too bad but when i read all the negative reviews about them i had a change of Heart and Stuck with my original Provider.....

• Like 1

Ronnie you’re not wrong 

my prior claims experience with AdieBlxFuchs was just TERRIBLE and I vowed never never ever to use them again ! 

I hold out zero hope of any good outcomes or satisfaction in the event of a claim …… insuring with them or indeed anyone with a negligible value Lexus ancient V8 is a requirement by Law 

God help me in the event of a claim tho’ 

Malc 

Up until last year I was with Direct Line and had been for years with no real problems, however the price jump made me look elsewhere and finally settled on Tesco of all places and it was cheaper than I had been paying. Now I am getting near renewal time and may have another car to insure and of course Tesco don't do multi car policy's so I might be moving again. As my car is now 18 years old I think I can get it on a classic policy and make it the "weekend" car. But as I live in Northern Ireland it can be tricky enough as some insurers wont take a non British car on unless its 20 years or older - but I will just have to see when the time comes. 

Be cautious with “Classic” insurance policies, they don’t use NCD so unless you have another vehicle that disappears after 2 years.

I found this out from personal experience when my “classic” insurers refused to insure my 2004 Celsior as “it’s not on our database” I ended up paying over £600.00 because I had no NCD and even getting cover was very hard with most wanting at least a year NCD.

Other limitations are mileage restrictions.

Fortunately having now gained 2 years NCD my premiums are now more reasonable.

• Like 1

Steve I remembered your saying earlier about Classic Insce just being proscribed from earning its own NCD 

that’s why I was worried when Saga wouldn’t insure my Mk1 as it’s over 30 years old and in a couple of years my Mk3 will also have to go the Classic way too

But they Sterling did  “ mirror” the NCD going forward and so long as I insure at least one younger car that earns NCD  ( the 2006 Honda Legend ) then I should be ok I’m thinking 

Heaven forfend I have a knock Claim tho ! 

and of course they’ll change the rules as they go along too

They make it up as they go along I’m sure   Things will be different again next renewal no doubt ! 

Malc 

I've had classic before on my old XJ so am aware of the NCD thing, and was in the same boat as it was my daily driver for years and it did cost me a few quid when I changed over to a different car but the LS will be my 2nd car going forward so I will be keeping my NCD on the next car. Its hard to tell at the moment as I can't really go looking for quotes as I am not 100% sure what I am getting as I have to wait and see what the finances are in a months time. I have a feeling its not going to be cheap but at least I don't have to worry about ulez stuff (yet)  

• 4 months later...

I usually change insurers every year, however, for the last three years no-one has been able to beat Chris Knott.  Adrian's Flux's quote was double.  I don't even bother with comparison websites anymore as they don't come close either.  I was about to call Hastings direct to see what they can offer, but can't find a phone number anywhere!  Ridiculous

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edus Amedda said:

I usually change insurers every year, however, for the last three years no-one has been able to beat Chris Knott.  Adrian's Flux's quote was double.  I don't even bother with comparison websites anymore as they don't come close either.  I was about to call Hastings direct to see what they can offer, but can't find a phone number anywhere!  Ridiculous

CCHellp,

I am not an expert and do not work in the industry.

Car insurance is complex. It is all made up of risk!

So the area you live in  your work status, the type of car, availability of parts and other kinds of profiling. etc

Also note, any kind of claim. fault or no fault is recorded and IMHO works against you.

Nowadays you  are more likely for an inurance  company to say we don't want you anymore on your renewal and they are happy to take on a new customers  so loyality does not really pay any more.

The good news, it pays to shop around..eR

Renew ideally 3 weeks before date and if using comparison sites  start afresh and use a new email address!

It is important to get the best policy not necessarily the cheapest.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

An important point to consider.  In fact, I would go as far as to suggest that the cheapest policy is rarely the best!  And that’s something you discover if you ever have to make a claim against it.

My Lexus renewal has just come up and I shall be having a meaningful discussion with the AA about the increase!  I already know I can get it cheaper but with companies I’m not keen to do business with.

The only time I really had to test the efficiency of the AA was when my last car was written off by an HGV changing lanes on a motorway.  The claim was resolved swiftly and entirely to my satisfaction - and virtually paid for the Lexus.  

To me, that’s worth a extra few pounds. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

CCHellp,

I am not an expert and do not work in the industry.

Car insurance is complex. It is all made up of risk!

So the area you live in  your work status, the type of car, availability of parts and other kinds of profiling. etc

Also note, any kind of claim. fault or no fault is recorded and IMHO works against you.

Nowadays you  are more likely for an inurance  company to say we don't want you anymore on your renewal and they are happy to take on a new customers  so loyality does not really pay any more.

The good news, it pays to shop around..eR

Renew ideally 3 weeks before date and if using comparison sites  start afresh and use a new email address!

Absolutely Spot On..!!!

• Like 1

I completely agree that you get what you pay for, - and buying cheap sometimes means you buy twice.  HOWEVER (!), I can vouch for Chris Knott, - I have been using them for decades on & off, and found their custom service to be personable & excellent.  Realising how that sounds, I should say that I have absolutely no affiliation with them 🙂

I'd be hugely interested in any other insurance company recommendations 👍

• Like 1

The insurance renewal for my NX350h comes up in the middle of February - I'm currently with Lexus Insurance - so I'm waiting with trepidation as to what the renewal price will be.

I had an email from the AA a few days ago advertising their car insurance (I have home insurance with them) so I thought there's no harm in getting an online quote. I couldn't quite believe the price that came back - £2,717 😲 (Full no-claims; early 60's in age; retired; 6,000 miles per year; car kept in garage overnight; fairly safe neighbourhood). I'm guessing that they didn't really want to insure me (or more likely, the car).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Also 

There is no issue with recommendations. But there is no guarantee what works for 1 will work for the other.

The underwriters if they so wish can change the criteria overnight, mid insurance, this could be an issue where you make a change and are told sorry we cannot carry on the rest of hhe year to insure you as our criteria means you are now high risk than before! all in T&Cs.

46 minutes ago, Andy B said:

I'm guessing that they didn't really want to insure me (or more likely, the car).

Having just now renegotiated my car insurance with the AA, I’m inclined to agree with you, Andy.

The proposed increase took it from £490 to £780 and the justification was the generally increased cost of repairs and risk of theft.  Negotiation reduced that to £640 which, in view of the general increases, I have accepted.

The cheapest online quote I had was for £466 from Admiral - not a company with whom I wished to do business.  Curiously, Saga - who insure my wife’s car and every year pop up offering to take on the Lexus and undercut the AA by about £20 - this year thought I would find their quote of £900 irresistible!   And me a shareholder too!!

One curious feature of the Insurance is that MrsT has always been a named driver on the Lexus, despite never wanting to drive it.  But - in common with other insurers - removing her would actually increase the premium.

On behalf of the rest of you, I did enquire if a reduction was obtained by adding one wife to the policy, would a second wife produce another reduction?

Apparently, it wouldn’t.  🙁

• Haha 5

I just had the renewal through for my home insurance. It has increased by £149 to £386 (no claims, no changes). It was £237 which is a 64% increase year on year. On comparison sites I have had quotes as low as £220 which is £17 cheaper than last year. I have tried to call my insurer (esure) 4 times over 2 days but got bored of waiting in a queue so have emailed them telling them to cancel the renewal. I will probably go with the quote from LV at £20 more than last years as they are a known brand.

I suspect that they have hiked everyone's insurance by a similar amount and so their phone lines are swamped.
They won't be happy later this month when I also fail to renew my car insurance with them.
****ty business practices like this make me no longer want to spend my money with them.

I will post what my car insurance renewal comes though at on here. They might surprise me with a reasonable renewal price,... but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Well...  Tesco quoted £300 more than last year! 🙄 Eventually went with a local company and got insured for about £60 more than last year so acceptable enough. I will have my full NCD next year so I expect it to come down a bit (or stay the same depending on what mood they are in) NI insurance was always expensive during the dark days (as cars tended to get damaged a lot) but as things settled down so did the prices but as has been noted recently there have been massive spikes and I am still at a loss as to why that is. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links