Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy tyres (again)

Apologies but I can't find the previous thread to continue the noisy run flat saga but after a couple of false dawns I have now had the Bridgestones removed and had the Nexens fitted as recommended by Lexus Leicester. So far it's all good. 

Most of my motoring is 'tootling' these days, short runs for school, shops etc. So mostly on crap surface dressed roads. These are awfully noisy when car has runflats I assure you but much better with the ordinary type I now have. Of course I realise that with only the can of juice to reinflate a flat I may come a cropper but that's what the RAC membership is there for!

• Like 2

Nfera ru1 225/50 r19. I just went with the recommendation from the Lexus dealer. I had Nexen on my NX and never had any issues. Looking them up on good old Google they appear to be more Summer than Winter tyres. Thank goodness for Global Warming! 

I have ordered the Nexen N Fera Su4 245/40/18 for my GS. I too hope not to have any issues. Anyway I found them a good balance between quality and price. Not expensive like the premium brands but still performing well. At least according to what I have read and heard.   

10 hours ago, Tel said:

Don,

Take Lexus Leicester's advice which you know works as reported by Charles above.

Your AWD with AVS will deal with your Winter Woes.

Tel

You might be right Tel but I’ve been on those tops at all times in all weathers and been the only one to get off by having all seasons.  It’s a done job now, I’ve paid for them so someone on here can have a real bargain on the run flats.  The Goodyears have the same 70Db drive by noise rating as the new generation run flats.  

15 hours ago, Don C said:

You might be right Tel but I’ve been on those tops at all times in all weathers and been the only one to get off by having all seasons.  It’s a done job now, I’ve paid for them so someone on here can have a real bargain on the run flats.  The Goodyears have the same 70Db drive by noise rating as the new generation run flats.  

You've hit the nail on the head there Don. It's not the drive-by noise levels it's the transferred noise and harshness over rough ground due to the extra thick, less flexible side walls that's the issue with run-flats in my opinion. I think if I were a high annual mileage driver then I would be able to offset the noise issues against the obvious advantages but I'm willing to take a chance.

Had I not changed to standard tyres then Goodyear were my preferred option and to be fair Lexus said they could get those if I wanted them, or any tyre of my choosing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

You've hit the nail on the head there Don. It's not the drive-by noise levels it's the transferred noise and harshness over rough ground due to the extra thick, less flexible side walls that's the issue with run-flats in my opinion. I think if I were a high annual mileage driver then I would be able to offset the noise issues against the obvious advantages but I'm willing to take a chance.

Had I not changed to standard tyres then Goodyear were my preferred option and to be fair Lexus said they could get those if I wanted them, or any tyre of my choosing.

I’ll give a subjective report when they’re fitted Terry 👍

On 9/27/2023 at 7:39 PM, Don C said:

I’ve ordered Goodyear all seasons for mine.  Haven’t got the car yet!

If you’re referring to the Goodyear Asymmetric 6, then I think you’ll be very satisfied with them.  I have an earlier version - only because the Michelin CrossClimates were not available at the time - and they have proved to be excellent performers, especially in the wet.

2 hours ago, LenT said:

If you’re referring to the Goodyear Asymmetric 6, then I think you’ll be very satisfied with them.  I have an earlier version - only because the Michelin CrossClimates were not available at the time - and they have proved to be excellent performers, especially in the wet.

They're Goodyear Vector All Season gen 3 Len.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, UX250h said:

Did you inform your insurance company and what did they say?

What a strange question.  The second part assumes the first part was done.  I didn’t inform them but they said stop wasting our time and you don’t need to tell us what oil or washer fluid or brake pads you put in as long as they are a reputable brand.  I’m being facetious until I understand your motives.  

• Like 1

If the car only comes with runflats (ie. no option for non runflats) then the car suspension has been designed specifically for runflat tyres (with stiffer sidewalls)

If you use non runflat tyres, you are making a change to the car safety (eg. The car will no longer safely tolerate a blowout, it may have different handling characteristics)

If you change all 4 tyres to non runflats with identical specs, you are probably fine. However I recommend checking with your insurance company for piece of mind. 

You don't want to prang your car due to a blow out only to subsequently find out that you invalidated your insurance by replacing tyres (that arent offered as standard)

See https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/car-modifications

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UX250h said:

If the car only comes with runflats (ie. no option for non runflats) then the car suspension has been designed specifically for runflat tyres (with stiffer sidewalls)

If you use non runflat tyres, you are making a change to the car safety (eg. The car will no longer safely tolerate a blowout, it may have different handling characteristics)

Runflat tyres can blowout.

The UX with 17" wheels has standard tyres. The UX with 18" wheels has runflats. Both have identical suspension, unless an F Sport.

F Sport has different rear springs, shocks and anti-roll bars for a more sporty ride, and the optional AVS suspension means an F Sport with that options has different shocks all round.

According to the brochure, the suspension on the f-sport is 'sport tuned' so, its different to the standard model with non runflat tyres 

Just call your insurers and check, you have nothing to lose.Its probably fine 👍 

You have got something to lose if it’s not fine because you’d have to change them.  I’ve discussed it with the insurance before and they fully support all season and winter tyres.  The opening post tells of a dealer recommending a standard tyre.  The tyres are unsprung weight and don’t adversely effect the handling.  My NX was fitted with cross climates from day one and with the insurance company blessing.  

IMG_2615.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The Goodyears are fitted and it’s significantly quieter.   

I’ve got four new run flat Bridgestones to sell if anyone is interested.  Make a suitable offer.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links