Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Might I trouble the esteemed RX owners.   I have come into a little money - though would prefer its former owner to be still with us.    I am minded to replace the trusty Rx400h with 194k on it with a later model RX450h.  I'm caught between two options:  an 18-Plate Sport with 18k on clock and a Mark Levison stereo upgrade on for £35K, or a 67 plate Premier with 42k on clock for a smidgen under £31k   on toys the Premier only has the heated steering wheel over the Sport so far as I can make out - and I'm not sure I like the partially hard steering wheel.   Both are with main dealers - though sport is from Beemer (someone swopped from Lexus to Beemer!)    I'm seized with indecision - what do the esteemed group think?   fair prices?  which would you go for?

Regards  Brunel

33 minutes ago, Brunel said:

Might I trouble the esteemed RX owners.   I have come into a little money - though would prefer its former owner to be still with us.    I am minded to replace the trusty Rx400h with 194k on it with a later model RX450h.  I'm caught between two options:  an 18-Plate Sport with 18k on clock and a Mark Levison stereo upgrade on for £35K, or a 67 plate Premier with 42k on clock for a smidgen under £31k   on toys the Premier only has the heated steering wheel over the Sport so far as I can make out - and I'm not sure I like the partially hard steering wheel.   Both are with main dealers - though sport is from Beemer (someone swopped from Lexus to Beemer!)    I'm seized with indecision - what do the esteemed group think?   fair prices?  which would you go for?

Regards  Brunel

Personally I’d always go with the newer car and lower mileage, but it depends a lot on condition as well as these cars - as you know - take miles without effort!

If it is a Sport rather than the F-Sport then I think it has standard suspension and seats, so should be little if any difference in ride comfort (I found the F-Sport too hard for my taste).

That does sound like quite a lot for a 2018 car though. Looking on Autotrader you could be into a 2020 Luxury model with 20-30k miles for about the same from dealers (not Lexus I should add based on what I’ve seen). The Luxury spec was the same as Sport as far as bells and whistles went as far as I can remember from buying mine - get a Luxury with tech and safety packs and you get most things, such as pan roof, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats etc.

37 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Personally I’d always go with the newer car and lower mileage, but it depends a lot on condition as well as these cars - as you know - take miles without effort!

If it is a Sport rather than the F-Sport then I think it has standard suspension and seats, so should be little if any difference in ride comfort (I found the F-Sport too hard for my taste).

That does sound like quite a lot for a 2018 car though. Looking on Autotrader you could be into a 2020 Luxury model with 20-30k miles for about the same from dealers (not Lexus I should add based on what I’ve seen). The Luxury spec was the same as Sport as far as bells and whistles went as far as I can remember from buying mine - get a Luxury with tech and safety packs and you get most things, such as pan roof, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats etc.

Thank you for your prompt reply.   Its an F Sport when I check - I have had hard  (shall we say firm) riders like a Saab Aero in the past so may be OK.  Autotrader are telling me its a 'great price' for both cars.   Did not know luxury had a pack with upgrades like that. How do you like hard parts on your heated steering wheel?

56 minutes ago, Brunel said:

Did not know luxury had a pack with upgrades like that. How do you like hard parts on your heated steering wheel?

The Luxury doesn’t have the hard wooden parts, just a soft leather wheel all around that is heated. Believe only Takumi or Premier spec had the wooden steering wheel.

Check the spec carefully as it's quite complex for these cars.

3 hours ago, Brunel said:

I'm caught between two options:  an 18-Plate Sport with 18k on clock and a Mark Levison stereo upgrade on for £35K

I suspect this is an F-Sport with the Premier pack, check which buttons are fitted on the right hand side of the dash, should be options for heated steering wheel, head up display and panoramic camera.  If so this is the one I would go for as I have this version myself.

4 hours ago, Brunel said:

Regards  Brunel

instead of this, go for that

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306228802974

Lexus RX Estate

450h 3.5 Takumi 5dr CVT

2019 (19 reg)

£35,715

Mileage

38,850 miles

5,685 miles  above average

Registration

2019 (19 reg)

you will still get 10K warranty and it is a better car

• Like 1

Hi Finlay - I'd opt for the most luxurious.  After all, the RX is a luxury car - no point sacrificing those little luxuries.  If you can find one with head-up display I would recommend that.  I didn't realise how useful they were until I bought a Lexus.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t buy anything rather than the top spec Premier 2016-2019 but being a pre facelift shouldn’t cost more than 26-27k regardless the mileage. 

For your 35k budget get the facelift 2019+ facelift Takumi (you will recognise it by the front grill). 

Something like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308221054624

Way better value for money. 

Or of a lower budget : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309202170277 (mileage doesn’t really matter to these cars if they been maintained correctly) 

The F-Sport is the “cooler” version that has better seats (for my particular back problems) and nicer speedometer (similar to the one in the latest model) but you would need to find one with Premium or Takumi pack to get all the extra optionals like : Marks Levinson, HUD, Heated steering wheel, 360 cameras, Sunroof/ Panoramic, Rear electric and heated back seats (on the 2019+ facelift one) and probably i m missing a few other options. In conclusion they seem to be harder to find and more expensive. 

On 9/30/2023 at 2:38 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Check you can insure it OK, and also whether the security plate has been fitted.

Thank you for this  - wise advice on insurance.   What is security plate?

1 minute ago, Brunel said:

Thank you for this  - wise advice on insurance.   What is security plate?

Discussions about it here, it helps to slow down / prevent easy access to the wiring that makes the 2016-on model vulnerable to theft.

57 minutes ago, John Walker said:

I wouldn’t buy anything rather than the top spec Premier 2016-2019 but being a pre facelift shouldn’t cost more than 26-27k regardless the mileage. 

For your 35k budget get the facelift 2019+ facelift Takumi (you will recognise it by the front grill). 

Something like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308221054624

Way better value for money. 

Or of a lower budget : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309202170277 (mileage doesn’t really matter to these cars if they been maintained correctly) 

The F-Sport is the “cooler” version that has better seats (for my particular back problems) and nicer speedometer (similar to the one in the latest model) but you would need to find one with Premium or Takumi pack to get all the extra optionals like : Marks Levinson, HUD, Heated steering wheel, 360 cameras, Sunroof/ Panoramic, Rear electric and heated back seats (on the 2019+ facelift one) and probably i m missing a few other options. In conclusion they seem to be harder to find and more expensive. 

Thank you for thorough reply..  I thought the 360 cameras were standard and didnt know you could get heated rear seats - always amazed me its not been offered before: front seat warm and toasty, rear cold bottom.   

On 9/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, talaipwros said:

Lexus RX Estate

450h 3.5 Takumi 5dr CVT

2019 (19 reg)

£35,715

Mileage

38,850 miles

5,685 miles  above average

Registration

2019 (19 reg)

you will still get 10K warranty and it is a better car

Thank you for taking the trouble - I see what you mean.   Would this one have the 360 degree cameras - I can see no mention of it.

3 minutes ago, Brunel said:

Thank you for taking the trouble - I see what you mean.   Would this one have the 360 degree cameras - I can see no mention of it.

Yes it does. If you look in photo 7, underneath the right side vent, you will see 5 buttons, this means that it has all the optionals offered for UK and that includes the 360 camera 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, talaipwros said:

Lexus RX Estate

450h 3.5 Takumi 5dr CVT

2019 (19 reg)

£35,715

I think this is actually a late pre-facelift Premier not a Takumi, still a very nice car with all the options.  Main difference apart from the cosmetics is the older generation infotainment system.

11 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I think this is actually a late pre-facelift Premier not a Takumi, still a very nice car with all the options.  Main difference apart from the cosmetics is the older generation infotainment system.

Definitely overpriced for what it is 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, Goodplan53 said:

Hi Finlay - I'd opt for the most luxurious.  After all, the RX is a luxury car - no point sacrificing those little luxuries.  If you can find one with head-up display I would recommend that.  I didn't realise how useful they were until I bought a Lexus.

Thank you.  Wise advice.  Drove a HUD briefly as a courtesy car so didnt really get the feel youve had.

21 hours ago, John Walker said:

Yes it does. If you look in photo 7, underneath the right side vent, you will see 5 buttons, this means that it has all the optionals offered for UK and that includes the 360 camera 

You're Lexus Ninja (photo 5 your mean presumably) 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links