Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus NX 450h+ rear kick sensor not working properly

I'm having an issue with the kick sensor. It beeps twice when I try and use it but nothing happens so I tried using the new Google AI search to see what it might suggest - here's what it said -

There are a few possible reasons why the Lexus NX 450h+ UK 2024 model rear kick sensor might beep twice but fail to open:

• The sensor is not aligned properly. This could happen if the sensor has been bumped or knocked out of alignment. To fix this, you can try to realign the sensor yourself or take it to a Lexus dealership to have it done for you.
  • The sensor is dirty or obstructed. If the sensor is dirty or obstructed, it will not be able to detect your foot. To fix this, you can clean the sensor with a damp cloth or remove any obstructions from the area.
  • The sensor is defective. If the sensor is defective, it will need to be replaced. You can take it to a Lexus dealership to have it diagnosed and replaced if necessary.

Here are some additional things you can try:

• Make sure that the kick sensor is enabled. You can check this in the car's settings menu.
  • Try kicking the sensor harder. If you are not kicking the sensor hard enough, it may not detect your foot.
  • Try kicking the sensor from a different angle. If you are kicking the sensor from the wrong angle, it may not detect your foot.

If you have tried all of these things and the kick sensor is still not working, you will need to take your car to a Lexus dealership to have it diagnosed and repaired.

From experience,  I have found that kicking in and out, rather than side to side, is more effective. It now works for me first time, most of the time. The in,out action is also quite subtle and gives me a good chance to show off the magic opening door as I wave my hands around in various poses! It amuses the kids and totally bamboozles the sister-in-law!

• Like 1

Yes I find a kick action works and then immediately step back from the car. If it detects any object within a few feet it will not operate.

After you have mastered this it works every time!

• Like 1

Many thanks for the tips! I'll give them a go when this rain stops!

I know it won't work when the Lexus tow bar hitch is inserted but I can't get it working at all. Just beeps at me😬

Whatever you do, don't actually kick the sensor (as suggested in that list), just kick quickly in and out under the bumper.

Do the other methods of opening the tailgate work?

It is important not to stand too close to the car, because the safety cut out will operate to save your chin or your nose.

I had a lot of trouble with it at first until I found the right distance, and now it works every time. I kick from side to side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 5:41 PM, Ken R said:

Yes I find a kick action works and then immediately step back from the car. If it detects any object within a few feet it will not operate.

After you have mastered this it works every time!

On 10/13/2023 at 3:49 PM, Harrier Man said:

From experience,  I have found that kicking in and out, rather than side to side, is more effective. It now works for me first time, most of the time. The in,out action is also quite subtle and gives me a good chance to show off the magic opening door as I wave my hands around in various poses! It amuses the kids and totally bamboozles the sister-in-law!

I'm with Harrier Man - I used to kick side to side and all I got was funny looks from passers-by.

Kick forward at the centre of the car and it will beep once. Then step back and the tailgate will lift

• Like 3

Thanks for the tip. It was booked into Lexus today to sort out a few other "dealer only" software customisable things. My kick sensor wasn't working properly, probably because they'd fitted my tow bar ( factory were meant to have done it but didn't) and the sensor I presume needed adjusting. However, they explained I need to kick on the left-hand side of centre as the tow bar mechanism obscures part of the beam.  I didn't know you can also kick close the boot too. It works fine now - every time.

Other changes done today successfully are the rear hatch can now be opened and closed from the remote fob without first having to unlock the whole car. The  remote fob can now also remotely open/close the moon roof and all the windows by holding the fob button open/close.

The "Welcome Home" facility was explained to me as I couldn't find a reference to it in the manual. After turning off the car power button and you want to illuminate your path to the front door or wherever, you simply pull the headlamp stalk towards you, exit and lock it. The main headlamps will stay on for 30 seconds. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links