Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cherished Plate

I never saw a need for a personalised plate as a person who has done 45 years of community service for free. Why create a problem with your car plate that will only create a focus point and someone then stealing the car 

at the end of the day thou each to his own ☺️

Ive 3 cars at present all with personal plates on and for the past 23 years ive had personal plates on,plus in my household we have a extra couple on retention my son has personal plates on his car and motorbike, my youngest has a old personal plate of mine to put onto his car my ex missus has a p/plate that i bought for her…… yeah i dont see the point of personal plates either 😂…. Be a strange old world if we all conformed with each others likes and dislikes…. 

On 10/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, Boomer54 said:

Just been looking for a private plate for Lexigirl. Never got into it before. I am sure there must be some logic to the pricing ,but for the life of me I have not worked it out. Is there a system at all, or is it purely random with a bit of scarcity value applying in some cases?

Two Letters Two Numbers I.E. LY21 One of the most expensive..Approx 45 Grand...The more letters or numbers Bring the price Down i.e 5 Letters and Two numbers Around £500  Etc  Swiftreg are Really Good for buying cherished Numbers Great service.. They do everything for You...

• Thanks 1

Here's one for you cherishers.  Local Sainsbury's car park this Summer.  Incredible that the number is worth more than the car!!  Since been transferred to an EasyRider 'monkey bike'! 

IMG_1472.thumb.jpg.5ae80a2793a78f0a02ebc0fc3f65c760.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Here's one for you cherishers.  Local Sainsbury's car park this Summer.  Incredible that the number is worth more than the car!!  Since been transferred to an EasyRider 'monkey bike'! 

IMG_1472.thumb.jpg.5ae80a2793a78f0a02ebc0fc3f65c760.jpg

lucky he's not in a Public Car Park .  a traffic warden would book him for parking other than totally within the bay area ...........

They do my way for sure ......  Swale in Kent 🥶

Malc

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Malc1 said:

lucky he's not in a Public Car Park .  a traffic warden would book him for parking other than totally within the bay area ...........

They do my way for sure ......  Swale in Kent 🥶

Malc

Hmm, was that the traffic warden Swine in Kent ?

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, Boomer54 said:

Just been looking for a private plate for Lexigirl. Never got into it before. I am sure there must be some logic to the pricing ,but for the life of me I have not worked it out. Is there a system at all, or is it purely random with a bit of scarcity value applying in some cases?

Usually - less characters means higher price.

As for standard plates - they are basically worthless, unless they have special meaning for somebody, but that is key problem - possibility of finding that somebody is slim, and for them to be willing to pay more than £250 for it is even smaller. There are some key words, I know V8 or V12 has some demand, RCF would be good combo, but as already mentioned RCFs are rare, so if we have to compare say M4 or RC-F, M4 will be much more valuable, because there are so many more people who may want to buy it. 

So logic - private plate prices are usually symbolic outside of known combos. 2 characters are £100k+, 3-4 - £10k+, all the rest (except standard) are ~£1000 +/- £1000 based on relevance e.g. I can see V8 RCF selling for £2000 easily. All the standard plates are sub-£1000. For example once upon the time I bought car with LP03LEX, pure coincidence that somebody put plate with "LEX" 2008 IS250 and it just happened to match my initials, so for me it was kind of nice touch and completely free, but for anyone else it isn't worth even £100 and to be fair I myself would not spend money on such plate. Another total coincidence, when I had said 2008 IS250, there was another 2008 IS250 in the country, black SE-L exactly like mine with plate L1 NAS... don't know what happened to the car, I think plate was later on Ford Transit van and now it is not in use anymore. That probably would be worth some money for me, but for 99.9999% of British people it is meaningless. Remember my mate long time ago got car with E8 PUR, the seller said "the plate alone is £1500"... no it isn't, as far as I know car got scrapped with that plate and nobody ever considered preserving it, it is meaningless and worthless. Would it be V8 PUR - another story!

• Thanks 1

An earlier Ls400 I bought from a car sales guy in Windsor many years ago,  at a very competitive price, coz he had sold the original regn for shed loads ££££ ….. it was    BCA3 

British Car Auctions people bought it I guess ! 

Malc 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Brian Ellis said:

My partner is the last of her family so her surname means a lot to her especially as none of our kids have it. The surname is Wishart and I got her WW15 ART which meant a lot to her. 

I know I've mentioned this before but you don't "own" the number. What this means is in the event of a write-off, heaven forfend, you will lose the number unless you arrange to cover it via your insurance company. 👍

Certain numbers have proved to be an investment like the one I purchased some years ago, kept for a few years and then sold at a good profit above the purchase price plus inflation. I subsequently bought another plate with a 1 prefix which has graced several of my cars. I could now sell for much more than I paid for it.  I like distinctive plates, as stamp collectors like rare stamps, so each to his/her own. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Certain numbers have proved to be an investment like the one I purchased some years ago, kept for a few years and then sold at a good profit above the purchase price plus inflation. I subsequently bought another plate with a 1 prefix which has graced several of my cars. I could now sell for much more than I paid for it.  I like distinctive plates, as stamp collectors like rare stamps, so each to his/her own. 

I have the sense that your cherished number plates will ultimately prove a much more rewarding investment than NFT's. Everytime I think I have seen all the silliness people can invent in terms of investment they prove me wrong and come up with a new one.

Tulips anyone ?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

I have the sense that your cherished number plates will ultimately prove a much more rewarding investment than NFT's. Everytime I think I have seen all the silliness people can invent in terms of investment they prove me wrong and come up with a new one.

Tulips anyone ?

Financial tip (insider trading probably!) 

BOILER SUITS

They are the future of clothing!

There are Lots of Reasons to buy a Private /Cherished number plate..But You Will Find a Complete Myriad Of Reasons Which are all Associated With Our Ideology Of driving around with some aspect of how we envisage ourselves in Society..... I Agree With Comments on this subject that The cost of a Private Plate is down to the Person who wants it.. I.e The value He/She puts on it...I Think in Terms Of Cost The Fewer the letters and Numbers combined with The combination to Produce a word/symbol will Define How much it Costs.. I Personally have a Plate which has important Letters Only To me Because it MEANS something to me And not to Show Off Or Perceive that i am any Better than anyone else But Is Special In My Mindset..Again Personally A private plate is SO useful when you park in a BIG Car Park And you are able to Spot your car from a Country Mile Away....But Once again its ALL down to Ideology In My Opinion....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

There are Lots of Reasons to buy a Private /Cherished number plate..But You Will Find a Complete Myriad Of Reasons Which are all Associated With Our Ideology Of driving around with some aspect of how we envisage ourselves in Society..... I Agree With Comments on this subject that The cost of a Private Plate is down to the Person who wants it.. I.e The value He/She puts on it...I Think in Terms Of Cost The Fewer the letters and Numbers combined with The combination to Produce a word/symbol will Define How much it Costs.. I Personally have a Plate which has important Letters Only To me Because it MEANS something to me And not to Show Off Or Perceive that i am any Better than anyone else But Is Special In My Mindset..Again Personally A private plate is SO useful when you park in a BIG Car Park And you are able to Spot your car from a Country Mile Away....But Once again its ALL down to Ideology In My Opinion....

Seeing a Lexus Ls400 in any car park you’ll know it’s yours whatever the number plate 🤩

Distinctive number plates abound and relieve the mediocrity of ordinary cars and often their owners …… 

One of my Ls400s is. N7GNT  for any aficionado of a Gin and Tonic …… personalised long before I bought her 

if anyone has   WBT 1    then I’ll get my business to buy it for me ….. any offers ?

worldbesttravel.co.uk = WBT 1  👍

Malc

and as for those. “ tulips. “ Blimey you’re going back ‘undreds of years ….. even before cryptocrap  😴

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Seeing a Lexus Ls400 in any car park you’ll know it’s yours whatever the number plate 🤩

Distinctive number plates abound and relieve the mediocrity of ordinary cars and often their owners …… 

One of my Ls400s is. N7GNT  for any aficionado of a Gin and Tonic …… personalised long before I bought her 

if anyone has   WBT 1    then I’ll get my business to buy it for me ….. any offers ?

worldbesttravel.co.uk = WBT 1  👍

Malc

and as for those. “ tulips. “ Blimey you’re going back ‘undreds of years ….. even before cryptocrap  😴

Let's move on another 100 years then and cry Mississippi anyone ! Not specific enough link John Laws.

Tulips ,John Laws, Black Friday Gold, Cryptocrap...it's always human behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Let's move on another 100 years then and cry Mississippi anyone ! Not specific enough link John Laws.

Tulips ,John Laws, Black Friday Gold, Cryptocrap...it's always human behaviour.

The fundamental issue is there's far too much money trying to find a home. Try selling a George III mahogany writing bureau in Liberia for other than firewood. 🙁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

The fundamental issue is there's far too much money trying to find a home. Try selling a George III mahogany writing bureau in Liberia for other than firewood

They would not touch it. Burns too quick. Evergreen oak is the best, aged/dried for at least 12 months, burns all night. Fantastic calorific value. Cheaper than any other energy source at the time.

In France we paid £60 per stere, ready cut in 50cm blocks ( cubic metre ) I have seen rubbish wood for fires for sale over here and the price is ridiculous.

Anyway our government doesn't like us burning wood.  Hang on ...our government doesn't like us full stop.🔥🙀

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Getting back on topic I wondered if anyone had ever seen a plate 1 GOD and what that would be worth.

How about L1 VED,

On a roll now so ME 666

MO 5ES (MOSES)

I can feel a new sub forum coming on "Boring Men" where we spend all year coming up with plate numbers and other intriguing issues.

I bought an Audi 200T with the reg number  XBA 666 X  without realising the significance. I really did have one or two very odd people coming up and wanting to talk to me. It was a bit concerning. :devil:.

At best 17mpg and in town 14mpg or less  and insurance through the roof I only kept it for 2 or 3 years.

I was at an auction some years ago and there was a mint 3 year old Aston Martin Vantage. I spoke to a dealer about it and they said they were going to bid for it up to £ 45k - very low price as a very risky buy as it didn’t have a V5. I watched the auction and the bids stalled at £ 48k and then someone on the internet bought for £ 49k. Saw the dealer a few weeks later and he said he was so wrong about the car. The reason the car didn’t have a V5 was that the personal plate had been taken off and DVLA hadn’t yet issued a replacement V5. The buyer on the internet had somehow (police contact maybe) found out that the personal plate and car were registered to Buckingham Palace and he sold the car within a week for £ 80k !

I put a personal plate on a new BMW and the dealer gave me more (allegedly) to leave it on when I px’d it - he said it made him smile and looked forward to selling it - RU 69 BOB - apparently younger people read it to mean a different thing to older people !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundance said:

Thisisit.jpg.3c92e1ccc1ad8a6a311951fff9831d53.jpg

Well now, someone is struggling to contain their excitement. You have obviously been waiting for this for a long time. Some members of the committee thought you might be too excitable to be a "Boring Member", but I have won them over with the argument that you are at least predictable and that should be enough to qualify.

Welcome aboard and wishing you many boring years ahead. 😉

• Confused 1

Boring -  MOI !!!

Hankies at the ready:-

Here goes:-

For some strange reason I find people don't like me very much. At least that's what my wife tells me, and she should know.

My areas of conversation are limited to my knowledge of the following topics .

1 Wine

2 Motorbikes ( all of them - the older the better )

3 Wine ( Mostly Bourgogne )

4 Opera (Mostly Wagner - Oh No! )

5 Wine

I find that people don't listen to or understand what I am saying and tend to broadcast their own information about rubbish topics that are of no interest, such as; their holidays or their operations or their dead friends.

Is that because I am boring? Or just plain annoying?     Answers on a postcard please to:

The Xenophobia and Misanthropism Society, Preston Town Hall.

BTW -  Notice there was no Lexus in the list😉

20 minutes ago, GMB said:

Boring -  MOI !!!

Hankies at the ready:-

Here goes:-

For some strange reason I find people don't like me very much. At least that's what my wife tells me, and she should know.

My areas of conversation are limited to my knowledge of the following topics .

1 Wine

2 Motorbikes ( all of them - the older the better )

3 Wine ( Mostly Bourgogne )

4 Opera (Mostly Wagner - Oh No! )

5 Wine

I find that people don't listen to or understand what I am saying and tend to broadcast their own information about rubbish topics that are of no interest, such as; their holidays or their operations or their dead friends.

Is that because I am boring? Or just plain annoying?     Answers on a postcard please to:

The Xenophobia and Misanthropism Society, Preston Town Hall.

BTW -  Notice there was no Lexus in the list😉

Not only have you qualified for entry to the "Boring Men" you may be bored to hear that you have been universally voted to become Chairperson for the group. In your role as spokesperson for the group we are confident nobody will be interested in our aims and activity which is also our mission statement.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links