Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying SC430

Fractaltrader

38 minutes ago, Fractaltrader said:

Looking at these two cars in the next week or so. Blue is 2003 with 75k on the clock. Black is 2005 with 94k. Black is lower tax band. Both about the same price 9.5 - 9.7.

what do you guys think?

IMG_3108.jpeg

IMG_3107.png

They will both be the same road tax as they are both pre 2006 when road tax changed. Currently they will be £395 pa.

If you have no preferences for colourway etc then it really comes down to exactly what is the inspection condition and what does the history for works look like paying attention to the usual suspects like belt/pump et. A good look underneath worth doing if you have no idea of previous ownership to converse with.

If you can't look get written statments on everything major re condition as they form part of the contract you may end up making.

Also worth noting at least 4 cars on autotrader dropped their price in recent weeks in recognition that summer car buying is over and they want them gone sooner than later so start with wiggle room price.

4 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

They will both be the same road tax as they are both pre 2006 when road tax changed. Currently they will be £395 pa.

If you have no preferences for colourway etc then it really comes down to exactly what is the inspection condition and what does the history for works look like paying attention to the usual suspects like belt/pump et. A good look underneath worth doing if you have no idea of previous ownership to converse with.

If you can't look get written statments on everything major re condition as they form part of the contract you may end up making.

Also worth noting at least 4 cars on autotrader dropped their price in recent weeks in recognition that summer car buying is over and they want them gone sooner than later so start with wiggle room price.

Thank you

The 03 blue SC430 has only had minor issues and advisories throughout its MOT history. I never like to see cheap tyres on a performance car, that always speaks to me about the owner or the dealer selling it but from the pics it looks in reasonably good order. 

The later 6 speed would be my default choice as it's a better newer car but I can't see where it's being sold or any details about it to make a remote assessment. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Neil. I wondered how you knew the MOT details and went looking and found you know what is available online. How useful is that. Just looked up my cars MOT history which was just what I expected ,but reassuring anyway. Thanks again for bringing me to that facility.

Note, I can't see the black car online either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Thanks Neil. I wondered how you knew the MOT details and went looking and found you know what is available online. How useful is that. Just looked up my cars MOT history which was just what I expected ,but reassuring anyway. Thanks again for bringing me to that facility.

Note, I can't see the black car online either.

Some details can be gained on line for free, there are also subscription services that provide known service history, number of owners, and details of accident damage, finance owing, etc. 

It's had a few issues to resolve in recent years. 

Looking at the history, the front and rear tyres are wearing on the insides so perhaps an alignment check should be done if it hasn't been done by the dealer.

image.thumb.png.5fa7ca345be91b93442dad0e0de085e1.png

image.thumb.png.f1244e406fa9ae2e62c3d5959dbdf6a0.png

• Like 1

Might be my imagination ,but as there been a bit of an uptick in people buying the SC lately? 

It appears to me that the stock for sale in the 'sweetspot' is shrinking by the day. By that I mean cars that are either not rubbish and shouldn't be bought at any price, and those not overpriced .

• Like 1

maybe just older people with an itch to scratch and no idea what to do with their surplus funds ............. it's always a " luxury " purchase but always by the discerning purchaser  .....  and now in readiness for next spring's good weather upcoming 😃

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Malc1 said:

maybe just older people with an itch to scratch and no idea what to do with their surplus funds ............. it's always a " luxury " purchase but always by the discerning purchaser  .....  and now in readiness for next spring's good weather upcoming 😃

Malc

"maybe just older people with an itch to scratch and no idea what to do with their surplus funds"

Damn, that's a good crystal ball you got there. 

Another one came back on today £500 off the start price. Unusual really 'cos it had only done 30k miles upto 2015 and then it's basically put 100k on since. Benn a main drive for someone. Their problem is at £7k the mileage does not compare well with the market now regardless of any other issues.

I only really looked because normally I would not like that colour, but with the Ecru it actually looks really well.

2007 Bronze Lexus SC 430 4.3 Convertible 2dr Petrol Automatic (269 g/km, 282 bhp) for sale for £6,990 in CANTERBURY, KENT (autotrader.co.uk)

• Like 1

Wonder if that’s the Lexus Main Dealer in Canterbury selling ? 
or it came in as a p/ex and too old for them to sell themselves now !

No mention of cambelt waterpump change at any time AND it’s an ‘orrible body colour …… piccys could have been better taken in the sunshine maybe ……. Cest le vie 

Im tooooo picky 😄

Malc 

• Like 1

I have to say the more I get to know about this car SC 430 the more I change my mind on valuations. A few have come up 2007 -2009 fairly low mileage and appearing to be well maintained. I had at first thought 13k and upwards was overpriced. However, I am changing my mind on this subject. The scarcity and characteristics of the car when well maintained is in my view worthy of the price tag when I look at comparative vehicles. Indeed, unless demand for them drops for some reason I would think the pricing will remain solid.

Obviously there are some out there you would approach with extreme caution , because they are hardly worthy of buying at any price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Very odd question.

Can rear seats be easily removed? Extra luggage space for continental touring.

That’s really what turned me off buying one a few months back …… rear space 

Met a guy outside my house with one by chance and he went thru it all with me …… hardly room for a pack of sandwiches in the boot with the cover open …… just got to have all your baggage actually in the car 

Super car of course…….  but I’m spoilt with the cavernous Ls400 space 

Value in buying one for sure, prices now I think will only rise as there’s so few in the UK 

And so many older people with surplus funds to play with 

AND maybe there’s an opportunity to get a distressed sale one, an estate being wound up etc …… after all it’s largely us “ oldies “ that have them these days ! 

And there’s zero personal tax on any profit from a single car sale …… if you’re not a Trader whatever 

Food for thought !

Malc 

15 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Very odd question.

Can rear seats be easily removed? Extra luggage space for continental touring.

With the SC430 you can remove the rear seats (I did to recolour my leather) but there is a solid bulkhead behind them - so no extra space.

My Mercedes CLK320 has fold down rear seats which gives a "lot" of extra luggage space.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigel Coleman said:

With the SC430 you can remove the rear seats (I did to recolour my leather) but there is a solid bulkhead behind them - so no extra space.

My Mercedes CLK320 has fold down rear seats which gives a "lot" of extra luggage space.

It’s true there is no extra space behind the seats and with the roof down there is very little space in the boot.  However the majority of sports cars are just two seater with no space at all behind the seats so the SC being 2+2 adds quite a bit of space for luggage etc. A lot more than the BMW and TVR I had some years ago.

I think the rear seats were added to make insurance cheaper in America?

They are useless for passengers (except small children) but I use them all the time for shopping and would not mind placing luggage there.

I got the car because I wanted a large, powerful and comfortable 2-seater convertible car - luggage space was not an issue.

I looked at newish MX5's, they look great but are tiny and difficult to get in and out of.

So pleased with my SC430.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

It’s true there is no extra space behind the seats and with the roof down there is very little space in the boot.  However the majority of sports cars are just two seater with no space at all behind the seats so the SC being 2+2 adds quite a bit of space for luggage etc. A lot more than the BMW and TVR I had some years ago.

Indeed, and I think the point is being missed. You drive the SC 430 you either, Fed Ex your luggage, or just buy a new wardrobe when you get where you are going. No, fetching your supermarket shopping home in it is expressively forbidden. Look in the small print at the back of the manual where it states " Persons of absolutely no taste whatsoever may never be permitted to own this car although you may ride as a passenger if you remember not to talk".  😏

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links