Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

No more 15 year battery warranty?

I could have sworn that when i bought my car last year lexus used to offer a 15 year warranty on the hybrid Battery as long as its had a hybrid health check every year which they do anyway when you service your car at lexus. However i was browsing the lexus site today and I don't see this info anywhere it sounds like now the hybrid Battery / component warranty is 5 years or 60k miles only. And its upto 10 years or 600k miles for electric batteries. Is this real? Is there no 15 year warranty on the hybrid Battery anymore? 

5 year / 60k is the manufacturer warranty - it's always been this.

Relax gives you 1 year 'poor mans' extended warranty for 1 year / 10k miles up to the vehicle being 10 years old, and that includes HHC to cover the hybrid Battery.

HHC is still available stand alone but Lexus seem to be removing reference to this being available for vehicles being up to 15 years old in their brochures and website, and I get the feeling they will roll this back to 10 years as they do in most other European countries (even though Toyota is still giving 15 years).

You will need to enquire at your dealer to get confirmation if 15 years is still being provided for the IS300h.

• Thanks 1

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-warranty-how-it-works/#:~:text=Lexus warranty and hybrid vehicles&text=The warranty includes cover for,alone scheduled Hybrid Health Check

Lexus warranty and hybrid vehicles

For customers with hybrid vehicles, the Hybrid Health Check forms part of the scheduled servicing. The warranty includes cover for the hybrid Battery and components for up to 10 years/100,000 miles. After this time, customers can still extend the cover for up to 15 years with a stand-alone scheduled Hybrid Health Check.

2 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-warranty-how-it-works/#:~:text=Lexus warranty and hybrid vehicles&text=The warranty includes cover for,alone scheduled Hybrid Health Check

For customers with hybrid vehicles, the Hybrid Health Check forms part of the scheduled servicing. The warranty includes cover for the hybrid battery and components for up to 10 years/100,000 miles. After this time, customers can still extend the cover for up to 15 years with a stand-alone scheduled Hybrid Health Check.

Good spot! Save a copy!

• Like 1

This is in the latest price list (July 2023) - so 15 years should still be good for now:

HYBRID Battery WARRANTY COVER AND HYBRID HEALTH CHECK (HHC)

A Hybrid Health Check is included in all services for hybrid vehicles, where a technician will test the entire hybrid system and provide a written report.

With each Hybrid Health Check, the customer will receive an extra 1 year or 10,000 mile (whichever comes sooner) hybrid Battery warranty extension, until the vehicle is 15 years old.
An annual Hybrid Health Check is free of charge as part of any Lexus Service. If a service isn’t due for a while, a standalone Hybrid Health Check is available for just 59 to offer peace of mind.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

For customers with hybrid vehicles, the Hybrid Health Check forms part of the scheduled servicing. The warranty includes cover for the hybrid battery and components for up to 10 years/100,000 miles. After this time, customers can still extend the cover for up to 15 years with a stand-alone scheduled Hybrid Health Check.

Yeah thats old and not part of the official lexus warranty page. It sounds like 10 years is max now with relax. I think it has changed for toyota too. 

Yeah 15 years for toyota is still on looks like. But for lexus i dont see it on the site. Even the page that details what a hybrid health check is avoids mentioning the 15 year Battery warranty. https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/servicing-mot-hybrid-health-check but maybe its still valid. 

Like someone already mentioned its 10 years in the rest of europe. 

https://www.lexus.eu/owners/maintenance/hybrid-health-check

If I purchased my Lexus today, on the premise I’d get 15 years of warranty if I kept on having the hybrid Battery check each year, I’d be somewhat miffed if the goalposts moved.

It’s a good job I don’t care to get it checked and therefore an not relying on the warranty 

Yes, terms may change for new customers, but if that’s what the salesperson and their literature said when I went for it, it ought to be honoured.

8 hours ago, matt8 said:

If I purchased my Lexus today, on the premise I’d get 15 years of warranty if I kept on having the hybrid battery check each year, I’d be somewhat miffed if the goalposts moved.

It’s a good job I don’t care to get it checked and therefore an not relying on the warranty 

Yes, terms may change for new customers, but if that’s what the salesperson and their literature said when I went for it, it ought to be honoured.

Yeah that was going to be my next question. These policies change all the time so whats really applicable to us? Is it the latest or what was in effect when we bought the car? Im not an expert.. But legally i dont think we have a leg to stand on if they change their policies. Im sure their terms state that they are free to withdraw / change the scope of their warranty as and when they please. 

I see the price list Colin provided still talks about a 15 year warranty but removing it from everywhere else in their communication means something is up. I might mail lexus to get clarity. Will let you know how i get on. 

12 hours ago, matt8 said:

I imagine that is what they would do, and they possibly want to move to 10 years for only the vehicles with Lithium Ion hybrid batteries.

But legally I don't believe they have any need to honour what they originally stated - the owner didn't purchase that service as part of the overall vehicle sale (and I doubt many original purchasers keep their vehicles beyond 10 years anyway).

• Like 2

It's a nice reassurance to have, 15-years unlimited mileage, but how many owners have had to make a warranty claim, I don't recall any posts on the forum for this.

Again seems strange that Toyota as the vanilla brand would have a better warranty, just like pre Relax when Toyota's had a 5-year warranty but Lexus only 3-years.

9 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

but how many owners have had to make a warranty claim, I don't recall any posts on the forum for this.

some series III GS450h owners.

9 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Again seems strange that Toyota as the vanilla brand would have a better warranty

Toyota has better warranty than Lexus as they complete with Kia etc who offer 7 years. Lexus compete with Audi/BMW/MB etc. who only give 3 years. The warranty isn't related to the reliability of the vehicle, just reflects what the market expects.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Notamech said:

I could have sworn that when i bought my car last year lexus used to offer a 15 year warranty on the hybrid battery as long as its had a hybrid health check every year which they do anyway when you service your car at lexus. However i was browsing the lexus site today and I don't see this info anywhere it sounds like now the hybrid battery / component warranty is 5 years or 60k miles only. And its upto 10 years or 600k miles for electric batteries. Is this real? Is there no 15 year warranty on the hybrid battery anymore? 

Eldrid.. Easy Answer to this Query.. Phone the Dealership and ask them...As far as i recall Its 15 Years.........

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Toyota has better warranty than Lexus as they complete with Kia etc who offer 7 years. Lexus compete with Audi/BMW/MB etc. who only give 3 years. The warranty isn't related to the reliability of the vehicle, just reflects what the market expects.

But Lexus built their reputation on beating the competition rather than just matching it, so it's a shame if that is no longer their strategy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

It's a nice reassurance to have, 15-years unlimited mileage, but how many owners have had to make a warranty claim, I don't recall any posts on the forum for this.

Again seems strange that Toyota as the vanilla brand would have a better warranty, just like pre Relax when Toyota's had a 5-year warranty but Lexus only 3-years.

I might not need to claim it. But if it is 15 years and i plan to keep the car i would get the hybrid health check / Service done at lexus. Else if they're not offering the warranty anymore i wouldn't bother servicing or doing the hybrid health check at lexus. 

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Eldrid.. Easy Answer to this Query.. Phone the Dealership and ask them...As far as i recall Its 15 Years.........

I emailed their customer care. Should hear back on Monday. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spock66 said:

There have been two hybrid Battery replacements mentioned on here that I recall. In both cases at some 180k miles IIRC - one done under the hybrid warranty and one paid for their own Battery and replaced it themselves. 

I currently plan to keep my car for the foreseeable future - 2014 model IS 300h with 138k miles on it and so may reach 200k miles (I drive about 15k miles a year) and so I am certainly interested in whether the 15 year unlimited mileage warranty on the Battery is still the current status.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links