Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just curious,

LS600H owners,

How much time in pure EV mode (with car stood still) do you get? I looked at my Battery which was 80% and got 8 mins in EV mode before engine kicked in. It took another 4 mins to get Battery upto 50% before I could use EV mode, but I gave up then. My experiment of watching a DVD in the back failed!

I was under the impression that the Lexus full  hybrid system would only give  you single digit use in EV mode if moving unlike a plug in hybrid which are good for around 30-40 miles on Battery only if moving.  Static electric only use is something I hadn't considered would allow very much time powering a vehicle option like a dvd player. 

• Like 1

Forced EV mode is designed for very small distances where you don't want any emissions or noise - e.g. moving your vehicle out of a garage, or pulling up the driveway late at night. You shouldn't really use it in normal driving - it is less efficient than letting the car control when to use the petrol engine or not.

If you want to use when stationary that's not a problem. The time you you get will vary depending on the power draw, e.g. if you have lights, AC, heated seats on etc. If the Battery gets low the petrol engine will kick in to charge it back up and shut off again, and the cycle will repeat indefinitely (until you run out of petrol).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

I was under the impression that the Lexus full  hybrid system would only give  you single digit use in EV mode if moving unlike a plug in hybrid which are good for around 30-40 miles on battery only if moving.  Static electric only use is something I hadn't considered would allow very much time powering a vehicle option like a dvd player. 

I don't really use it when driving as in town the revs counter goes to zero so running on Battery for a short while.

I think EV mode is for dribing around  20mph so good for when going Iver speed bumps, quiet times etc

7 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Forced EV mode is designed for very small distances where you don't want any emissions or noise - e.g. moving your vehicle out of a garage, or pulling up the driveway late at night. You shouldn't really use it in normal driving - it is less efficient than letting the car control when to use the petrol engine or not.

If you want to use when stationary that's not a problem. The time you you get will vary depending on the power draw, e.g. if you have lights, AC, heated seats on etc. If the battery gets low the petrol engine will kick in to charge it back up and shut off again, and the cycle will repeat indefinitely (until you run out of petrol).

Yes only looking at EV when car is on drive and watch a dvd film,like it when car is silent, the engine comes on and then goes off, not a problem, just watch the film loud!!

When I was looking to buy my next car, I ruled out the NX350 because, with my commute, I would have benefitted from EV mode for about 20 yards when leaving home or my place of work and thereafter been running on the ICE. It didn't seem sensible to carry the extra weight around for such a dubious benefit. Hence, I bought the NX450 plug-in hybrid and can do 100% of my commute on Battery.

However, whilst I wouldn't swap my NX450, my thinking was flawed. Colin explains very well how a mild hybrid should be used. The NX450 can be forced into HV (ICE) mode, which I do frequently, but even in this mode, the Battery takes over in slow moving traffic (ie. the car is operating as a mild hybrid). The main reason it does so is to reduce emissions. The ICE is at its most inefficient and most polluting at low rpm trying to accelerate 2500Kg from standstill so it is much cleaner and more environmentally friendly to let the Battery overcome this initial inertia. I want to be green and not pollute the people in our towns so a mild hybrid is a very good choice, as long as people don't expect to travel miles using Battery power alone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

When I was looking to buy my next car, I ruled out the NX350 because, with my commute, I would have benefitted from EV mode for about 20 yards when leaving home or my place of work and thereafter been running on the ICE. It didn't seem sensible to carry the extra weight around for such a dubious benefit. Hence, I bought the NX450 plug-in hybrid and can do 100% of my commute on battery.

However, whilst I wouldn't swap my NX450, my thinking was flawed. Colin explains very well how a mild hybrid should be used. The NX450 can be forced into HV (ICE) mode, which I do frequently, but even in this mode, the battery takes over in slow moving traffic (ie. the car is operating as a mild hybrid). The main reason it does so is to reduce emissions. The ICE is at its most inefficient and most polluting at low rpm trying to accelerate 2500Kg from standstill so it is much cleaner and more environmentally friendly to let the battery overcome this initial inertia. I want to be green and not pollute the people in our towns so a mild hybrid is a very good choice, as long as people don't expect to travel miles using battery power alone.

Thanknyou. I used to drive in eco mode, but now drive in normal mode and only in stop start traffic for I switch on eco mode.

I have no issues the car as it is and let the hybrid batteries and engine do its thing.

Regarding the encironment, I work in Central London  (use piblic transport only) and it is all about the environment there, unlike sunny Oldham where, well we don't take it seriously!

I like sitting in the back of the car and warch the odd DVD film and wanted to know if the EV mode was supposed to be short and down to my Battery wear or whether it was normal. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links