Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dog Crate Friendly??

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year.

I'm seriously attracted to a RC 300H F Sport but I have a dog (Staffie) and occasionally need to transport him to the vets. I need to use a dog crate for this, and I'm not sure that I could squeeze this into the rear compartment, with the seats folded down.

So, has anybody managed to carry a dog crate please, and/or could someone point me towards a link to the dimensions in the rear of the vehicle please - boot opening into cabin, measurement from top surface of folded seats to roof lining etc...?

Thank you from a wannabe RC driver.

Scrapped the rear seat carry idea when I Iooked at your car choice. Think you will not find a crate of the size you need to fit that and I say that just eyeballing it. Shape is just very unsuited to a dog crate. Your Staffie won't be as big as our German Shepherd so you might get away with a smaller crate, but the crate shape is still not going to work with a boot like that.

• Sad 1

Thanks very much for your reply Boomer but I'm afraid that he really doesn't like to travel by car and I'd be afraid that he might strangle himself in his attempts to break free 🤔. He howls all the way as it is but I can cope with that 😄.

We use a dog hammock for our Cocker Spaniel in my IS 300h - this covers the whole back seat (it's waterproof and very tear resistant). It has a restraint that fixes to his harness (shouldn't connect it to a collar though) and plugs into the seat belt fitting so he can't get to the front of the car or out until we release him. Do a search on amazon etc for car dog hammock and see if this would be an alternative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Scrapped the rear seat carry idea when I Iooked at your car choice. Think you will not find a crate of the size you need to fit that and I say that just eyeballing it. Shape is just very unsuited to a dog crate. Your Staffie won't be as big as our German Shepherd so you might get away with a smaller crate, but the crate shape is still not going to work with a boot like that.

Sadly, you could well be right Boomer but the crate that I have is fairly small and is designed for a hatchback so has a sloping "roof" - so, maybe....  I'm not giving up yet and will obviously have to take a tape measure when I go to look at an RC next week.

We used these when transporting two cats. It kept them calm and no side effects.

Each species has different kinds of pheromones, released under different circumstances to achieve various effects. Nursing dogs, for example, release a special kind of comforting pheromone to let their offspring know they are safe—and that’s exactly the pheromone that’s effective in calming an anxious dog. This pheromone, termed dog appeasing pheromone (DAP), has been produced synthetically. The synthetic version is available in several formats, including room diffusers, spray, edible treats, and wearable collars.

In scientific studies, DAP has proven effective in treating separation anxiety. It can also be used to help dogs stay calm through anxiety-inducing situations such as thunderstorms and fireworks displays.

These are flexible and can be stuffed into a back seat including a superimposed dog picture!?

Medium Small Pet Safety Seat Control Console Pet Nest Portable Pet Dog Car  Seat Car Armrest

• Like 1

The front seat backs really don't fold down much. When putting in child seats, it requires a knack of putting the back of a seat in sideways first, and then turning it around so the squab can follow. Rather than measuring up with a tape, you'll really need to take the crate with you. The boot opening also looks larger than it is, and even getting a microwave or similar size object can defeat you. 

2 hours ago, Parker87 said:

Thanks very much for your reply Boomer but I'm afraid that he really doesn't like to travel by car and I'd be afraid that he might strangle himself in his attempts to break free 🤔. He howls all the way as it is but I can cope with that 😄.

If he howls in tune it's all good, bless him. We are lucky ours just sits and looks around and then gets bored and lies down.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PRT68 said:

The front seat backs really don't fold down much. When putting in child seats, it requires a knack of putting the back of a seat in sideways first, and then turning it around so the squab can follow. Rather than measuring up with a tape, you'll really need to take the crate with you. The boot opening also looks larger than it is, and even getting a microwave or similar size object can defeat you. 

Oh dear, I was hoping that the front passenger seat would slide and tilt forwards so as not to be much of an obstacle. Never mind, as you say, a practical test will be the only way to be sure one way or t'other. Thanks very much for your input.

5 hours ago, Parker87 said:

That's harsh Rabbers. You've got him howling again! 😁

Sorry about that, truly I am.  Wish him a Happy New Year from me, and give him an extra biscuit.

All the Best, R.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:27 AM, Parker87 said:

Sadly, you could well be right Boomer but the crate that I have is fairly small and is designed for a hatchback so has a sloping "roof" - so, maybe....  I'm not giving up yet and will obviously have to take a tape measure when I go to look at an RC next week.

Simply take the crate with you to the Lexus Dealer to try it for size ?

Malc 

• Like 1

If it’s a sensible money savvy dealer they’ll throw in a good dog crate in the final price negotiated 

Malc 

Thanks Malc but the crate that I have is nearly new and is the smallest that my dog could be comfortable in. I'll just have to see if I can wrangle it into the space available. As for negotiation, I'm sure that it'll be the same old story of my p/ex being one that "people aren't buying at the moment" and the RC being "an excellent example of a rare and highly desirable model"......😖

• Haha 1

Another year and nothing changes, if you're not in the doghouse, you're working at getting in, and preparing for it by installing it in your car.

• Haha 1

Update time. I viewed the car today and found that, if I introduce the crate in it's flatpack state into the back, I can "erect" it in situ and it fits (just).  This involves some contortion on my part but it should only be once or twice a year so that's fine.

So, given that I also established that the Android Auto facility in the 20 plate FR Sport Takumi works, I'll be a proper member of the RC community in a couple of weeks. Exciting times! 🎉😉

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links