Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Retrofit faster powered tailgate to NX300h?

Does anyone know if it is possible to add the more recent powered tailgate to my 2016 NX300h Premier?

I find the powered tailgate opens and closes much too slowly, and I believe the more recent NX models close in half the time? Not sure if this is 2018 MY onwards or a more recent model.

I have tried deactivating the powered tailgate to operate it manually, but I find it almost impossible to open now (with a LOT of resistance), so I have re-activated it again to avoid risk of damaging anything expensive!

Thank you in advance.

I posted this in the correct group last weekend. thank you admins for moving it to the correct group. Adding a comment to make this appear at the top of the correct (NX) group. 

For future reference, I obtained a reply from my local Lexus garage. It is NOT possible to retrofit the current powered tailgate components into a 2016 powered tailgate NX. They aren’t compatible.

I’m disappointed to hear they can’t disable it fully either.

My workaround is to fold down the rear seat to pop smaller things in the boot and then return the seat to its normal position. Far quicker than waiting for the tailgate to drift glacially along when I forget to put something in there.

• Sad 1

Sounds a tad extreme. I mean I know my tailgate is slow, but by the time I've got from the rear of the car to the front, sat down and put my seabelt on, it's shut by the time I'm ready to drive off.

As I get older I suspect it will eventually beat me to the driver's door 🙂

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Sounds a tad extreme. I mean I know my tailgate is slow, but by the time I've got from the rear of the car to the front, sat down and put my seabelt on, it's shut by the time I'm ready to drive off.

As I get older I suspect it will eventually beat me to the driver's door 🙂

It’s when I’m leaving the vehicle in a car park and I close the boot and then realise I forgot to put something in it that irritates me .. as I have to wait for it to fully close again before I can lock the car (my 2016 model doesn’t have the extra lock button inside the tailgate, just a close button). Plus I dislike the loud beeping to announce the whole event (akin to  “Look! He’s forgotten something AGAIN!”).

I have a big birthday next year so I like the idea of timing myself to see whether I’m getting slower than the tailgate as time advances!!

We share mpg figures, how about time from tailgate to drivers door personal bests?!!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ArneT said:

It’s when I’m leaving the vehicle in a car park and I close the boot and then realise I forgot to put something in it that irritates me .. as I have to wait for it to fully close again before I can lock the car (my 2016 model doesn’t have the extra lock button inside the tailgate, just a close button).

Actually that part is annoying, the fact that you have to wait for it to close before locking the car. I have the lock button on the tailgate, but that doesn't work until it's fully closed.

I'm still quick enough to get far enough from the car so the remote doesn't work, before the tailgate closes fully. For now anyway 🙂

On 1/20/2024 at 9:02 AM, NemesisUK said:

One can adjust the volume of the beeping I have set to the lowest volume, it's barely audible.

Is that using the in-car settings? Or via ODB2 or similar?

How long can the "slow" tailgate actually take?
Forgetting things, having to return etc. aren't the car's fault, better organisation and planning is needed. Possibly some memory training.

8 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

How long can the "slow" tailgate actually take?
Forgetting things, having to return etc. aren't the car's fault, better organisation and planning is needed. Possibly some memory training.

Far too long. Which is why the newer models have halved the time, and added a second internal button on the tailgate to lock the car allowing the driver to walk away. thereby proving there was something inferior with the older model’s design.

I was providing one example. Bottom line, when leaving the vehicle to lock it, it takes far too long to close. I would prefer a manual tailgate over this snail’s pace any day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArneT said:

and added a second internal button on the tailgate to lock the car allowing the driver to walk away. thereby proving there was something inferior with the older model’s design.

Found that button to be extremely temperamental. Thought I had it cracked but unfortunately no.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links