Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What should I go for NXh or UXh?

Apart from the NX having a larger boot space and more back seat legroom, which neither really apply as a negative as this is a second car with 2 people, what would you go for and why?

Having just had a UX for a day as a courtesy car whilst my NX was having its locks replaced I can safely say that the NX is in a different league in terms of quietness and comfort. The UX seemed noisy and quite harsh.

• Like 1

Thanks for the speedy very helpful reply. I am going from an ES300h Takumi so I have a very quiet comfortable car.

The NX is a much more modern car than the UX. It’s also a lot more premium in terms of materials used and sound deadening etc. 

While Lexus have done their best to keep the UX updated, I simply wouldn’t be comparing the two models are it’s really night and day difference between them both. 

Best thing to do is arrange a test drive of each and see what you think.

As said, arrange a test drive for both.

For parking, I would prefer a smaller car as car parks are often quite tight.

I often feel that the larger cars are more premium / luxurious.

Depends on what you want. Good luck 😀

I had three and a half years with my UX250h, before moving onto an NX350h last September. The main reasons for the change was pretty much for the reasons which don't matter to yourself - more boot space and easier access/headroom in the rear. For me, that's literally the only things which let the UX down. The boot space proved itself to be too small for practically anything beyond the daily commute to/from work and the aging parents were starting to struggle a little bit getting into the rear because of the relatively low roofline (they were mostly fine with the legroom). 

I agree with @Tickedon over the quality of materials used and sound deadening being a 'step up' on the NX over the UX - but you'd expect that at it's price point. The UX's interior door panels were a bit 'plastic-tastic' I will admit. 

It really is down to personal preference. I prefer the NX to the UX in most aspects - but I did enjoy my time with the UX. It's a thoroughly decent all-rounder if you can cope with the lack of boot space. I would have been tempted to get another rather than the NX if the boot had been about 25% bigger. It done almost everything else very well indeed. 

• Like 2

Both great cars. I m on my second NX and delighted overall.  The current NX is a huge advance on the previous model but that said the NX300 is still a fantastic car.

Given its a second car and bootspace isn't a priority I would go for a UX. Have driven a few either as demonstrator test drives (incl the UX 300e) or courtesy cars when the NX has been in for service and have been impressed. If its a brand new car you are seeking then perhaps holding off for a bit may be useful as I believe a refreshed range under the collective title of UX300 is imminent.

• Like 2

This was covered in this thread last October - my experience is included having owned both cars.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/145070-is-it-worth-buying-the-lower-version-of-the-350h/#comment-1311798

A further point - my annual Road Tax on the NX left my account today - £ 560😱 There is a  surcharge included for the car having a list price of over £40k. My UX was just under the limit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hintonwood said:

A further point - my annual Road Tax on the NX left my account today - £ 560😱 There is a  surcharge included for the car having a list price of over £40k. My UX was just under the limit.

Good point about the car tax. I really object to paying the extra. My plan was to buy something just under the £40k. Lots of nice cars in that price range.

I obviously forgot about my plan when buying the NX 🙈

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Scotlex said:

Good point about the car tax. I really object to paying the extra. My plan was to buy something just under the £40k. Lots of nice cars in that price range.

I obviously forgot about my plan when buying the NX 🙈

I tried for ages to find a car under £40k but everything had one compromise too many. This then became my justification for “there’s no point paying it on something just over the £40k limit… make the extra luxury payment worthwhile”. Hence a NX 450h+… 

I do miss the £20/year I used to pay for my Audi, but I don’t regret having to pay the expensive VED at all, as I have a brilliant car I enjoy driving. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tickedon said:

I tried for ages to find a car under £40k but everything had one compromise too many. This then became my justification for “there’s no point paying it on something just over the £40k limit… make the extra luxury payment worthwhile”. Hence a NX 450h+… 

I do miss the £20/year I used to pay for my Audi, but I don’t regret having to pay the expensive VED at all, as I have a brilliant car I enjoy driving. 

I did love the £20/ year too 😀

I am really surprised that most manufacturers don't have a few models at £39,999.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

You wouldn't believe how many new cars there are that have a list price of just over £40k.

I know. Just seems really stupid, but I suppose they are not paying the extra tax 🙄

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hintonwood said:

I've got this to look forward to when my first road tax is due at the end of August... I'm already dreading it. 

The 2020 UX I had previously was also just under the limit. I specifically ordered it to be that way. It was the F-Sport with the Tech & Safety and Premium Plus packs. It took it to an 'almost Takumi' spec and at the time it come to something like £39,700 ish. 

1 hour ago, BonzoSPB said:

You wouldn't believe how many new cars there are that have a list price of just over £40k.

I know... It's a limit which sounds reasonable enough but when you have a look at the costs of new cars these days, especially with the way they've literally gone skywards over the last decade, even some relatively modest cars are now comfortably over £30k. The £40k limit really out to be at least £10k higher now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonzoSPB said:

When I bought my UX in 2020 the Takumi was just over the £40k so I got the Premium Plus pack and safety etc. With the NX it was already well over the £40k so I went for the Takumi and love the extras that brought with it.😬

2 hours ago, BonzoSPB said:

For the purposes of the Luxury Car Tax, the £40k limit excludes the first registration fee (£55) and first year’s VED. A car just over £40k can thus avoid the luxury element, if subtracting both of those can take it back under £40k - assuming there isn’t a price increase before it arrives, as the list price is based on the list price the day before the car was registered. 

Lexus ES is a great example where they’ve held the premium edition price at £40k for a while now, presumably for that reason!

What I really don’t understand are manufacturers who apply thousands of pounds in discount or PCP deposit contributions on cars just over £40k. The consumer is still saddled with the £2k in extra luxury VED costs over 6 years, yet the manufacturer still only pockets £35k-ish. Seems silly for all involved. 

• Like 1

@KazzyT many replies above have raised some good points already. I think a test drive for both will really help (trying different road types, a bit of reverse parking etc).

This is such a personal choice that it really does depend on your list of preferences/requirements.

Vehicle age and trim level (e.g. Premium vs Premium Plus and any pack options fitted such as Convenience pack ) will also determine which features are present for safety and convenience...  i.e. extra toys!). Perhaps you could write a list of what you MUST have, MUST NOT have, COULD live with, COULD NOT live with), based in part on the test drives.

A key difference for me is the driving / seating position. I prefer sitting a bit higher up, and getting in and out of my NX300h (the front and especially the rear!), compared with my partner's UX300e. I am just under 6 foot tall, but was surprised once I am seated in the UX how comfortable it is (it just takes a bit of folding and unfolding of my body to enter/exist the car!). We find the boot size for the UX to be pretty good (despite what some people say).. it is fine for a weekly shop or luggage for a long weekend away - however you can't easily put golfclubs or a double-bass in the boot (but that shouldn't be a surprise for one of Lexus's smallest cars!).

That being said, there are lots of things I prefer in her UX to my NX and vice-versa. For example the lower price and smaller size certainly can be a benefit of the UX too! So it really is "horses for courses"!

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

Like @ArneT, I prefer the driving position in the NX to the UX. It's also easier to get in and out of. Whilst I did very much like the 'cocooned' feeling of the UX's driving position, it did feel a little 'low' for me. However, I did have an Audi Q5 prior to that...so I did drop a class-size in car. 

Another thing I preferred about the UX to the NX is the styling. Don't get me wrong, the NX is a nice-looking thing, but I do think the rear of the UX is prettier - and I prefer the 'light bar' across the tailgate being in one piece, rather than it split into two like it is with the NX. 

Practicality-wise in my humble opinion though - the NX is a clear winner in this regard. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links