Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Concerns over potential CT200 purchase..

CT200NI

Hi all, I am interested in buying this car: https://www.donnellygroup.co.uk/used-cars/16045164-lexus-ct-200h-1.8-sport-5dr-cvt-auto/

Been listed for half a year now. Price has dropped 1k. 

I've test driven it and all seems well.  However, they are marketing it as a Sport. It has the sport wheels, sport black parts, sport interior upholstery. 

Edit: My mistake. Parkers can't find the reg. But Gov check shows indeed it's a sport. My original issue is no longer an issue. 

Only issue now is, Lexus Mag when the 'Sport' came out in late 2015 as a trim, shows a standard electric til / slide sunroof.. I don't think the one I'm looking at has this. Didn't show it was an 'option', is this a reason to be concerned? https://mag.lexus.co.uk/meet-the-new-lexus-ct-200h-sport/

Found the below video from the same seller in 2021... Wonder why someone bought it and sold it so soon. And why it's been sitting so long. originally at just over 14k.. now reduced to just over 13k 

Edited by CT200NI
correcting my issue

Something doesn't seem to be adding up if I'm honest, unless the 'Sport' trim changed drastically between 2015 and 2017, theLexus Mag link also says the Sports trim has heated seats and parking sensors, from what I can tell this car does not have either of those. It looks quite low  spec. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrShockr said:

Something doesn't seem to be adding up if I'm honest, unless the 'Sport' trim changed drastically between 2015 and 2017, theLexus Mag link also says the Sports trim has heated seats and parking sensors, from what I can tell this car does not have either of those. It looks quite low  spec. 

That's true, it's these things that are worrying me about it. I'm going down tomorrow to get another look and so they can value my car. 

I will ask about the discrepancies from the Lexus mag link: no dark glass, no heated seats, no sensors, no sunroof.  I think they will tell me they were options or that it changed...  I wish I could find a 2017 brochure - only one I can find is for the upcoming facelift announced around 2017 when the trims all changed going forward 

So, been looking on AutoTrader at all of the CT200h 'Sport' variant. Some have the sun roof and heated seats, others don't. 

I wish I knew the VIN for it so I could get the vehicle summary from Lexus-Tech.eu but looks like I'd have to pay a tenner on some car history look up to get it from the reg 

Not in the UK myself, but I always like to "investigate" these kind of things just for fun.

It looks like in the UK Lexus offered a Sport and a F-Sport. 

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/high-value-sport-model-leads-new-2017-lexus-ct-range/

The Sport had a more basic trim which could be upgraded to a F-Sport with i.e. sunroof, sensors, smart key entry etc.

Maybe that's why you found CT's listed as Sport where some had those options and some don't.

• Like 1

Good price for the year and mileage if it has history, sport or not. Kia agent part exchange they probably want rid of. Hard to recognise in black, stand out better in red often with black roof, trim, side mirrors and wheels. Same spec as standard otherwise. the F had the spindle front grill.

I've been offered around that price for my 14 plate non S with approx 47k

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MartsCT200 said:

Not in the UK myself, but I always like to "investigate" these kind of things just for fun.

It looks like in the UK Lexus offered a Sport and a F-Sport. 

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/high-value-sport-model-leads-new-2017-lexus-ct-range/

The Sport had a more basic trim which could be upgraded to a F-Sport with i.e. sunroof, sensors, smart key entry etc.

Maybe that's why you found CT's listed as Sport where some had those options and some don't.

This explains it perfectly! I was confused as to why a later ‘Sport‘ had less. Although it means no doubts about the car having been chopped and changed in the past.  I knew about the F-Sport and it being much higher spec including a suspension option (lateral something?) 

1 hour ago, Poundy said:

Good price for the year and mileage if it has history, sport or not. Kia agent part exchange they probably want rid of. Hard to recognise in black, stand out better in red often with black roof, trim, side mirrors and wheels. Same spec as standard otherwise. the F had the spindle front grill.

I've been offered around that price for my 14 plate non S with approx 47k

Glad to hear you guys think it’s a good price. 

it was previously listed at £14,300 but hasn’t been selling. Half a year if not more. Can these sitting around that long go bad with the hybrid Battery

Is there anything else I should be particularly on the look out car or engine specific with these? Going down at 4 today is the plan 

2 hours ago, CT200NI said:

This explains it perfectly! I was confused as to why a later ‘Sport‘ had less. Although it means no doubts about the car having been chopped and changed in the past.  I knew about the F-Sport and it being much higher spec including a suspension option (lateral something?) 

Glad to hear you guys think it’s a good price. 

it was previously listed at £14,300 but hasn’t been selling. Half a year if not more. Can these sitting around that long go bad with the hybrid battery? 

Is there anything else I should be particularly on the look out car or engine specific with these? Going down at 4 today is the plan 

The hybrid Battery should be just fine, it's the 12V Battery that may run down from sitting around but that can easily be replaced if and when you have problems with it. The MOT history looks fine, it hasn't done too many miles in the last few years. I can't comment on the price, but no doubt you've done your research to know whether it is worth it or not. Generally, very reliable cars and not much goes wrong with them to be honest. 

Given they’ve had the car for so long, I would bet they paid considerably more than it’s currently worth…

Webuyanycar would offer £9500 for it. I’d personally haggle hard and try to get it for £12k. Worst they can say is no!

If it was me I would get your service done by Lexus pay a bit more but it entitles you to the free Relax warranty up to 100k mls or ten years old plus the hybrid check will extend the Battery year on year to 15yrs.

Having said that my 14 plate has been faultless since ownership from 2018 and is a keeper as per my .....

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/144355-ct-renovation-project/

Well guys, I bought it. I got it down to £13k. Taking a bit of a loss on my Avensis but that was always going to be the case (floated it on AT a few times - no interest). 

They've agreed to polish all the scratches out of it - it's quite rough in person scratch wise. And to repair the alloys (one has a big metal edge scrape) - and to valet the interior as it's a tad.. mouldy inside (but I've seen this on a lot of other cars, even 25k+ newer Mercs for sale that were sitting). 

I think how rough and unloved it looks in person is why it's been sitting - that, for the former 14.3k price wouldn't interest anyone. Not least a seasoned Lexus buyer. But for £13k and the promise of having it corrected, I was quite happy. 

I own a 2018 Avensis which has the dreaded BMW diesel engine - that's pretty much the main reason I'm selling it as I don't like what I'm seeing with owners experiencing catastrophic or costly failures on 2016/17 models already and a £3600+ quote for timing chain job by Toyota, who admitted they don't want to do it and haven't done it before, as they say the chain is a lifetime part...  Anyway, it was a Toyota without reliability. And it was a bit neglected in the range too. Size was nice, but expensive to fuel and bad MPG of low 40s, in return for no real power. 

So I went looking for another Toyota or Lexus product. CT200h is perfect. A little smaller, still practical, a bit more thought into the driving experience, petrol (I prefer petrol), hybrid!, pure through and through Toyota engineering with some aspects taken further with the Lexus touches 🙂

In around a week it'll be ready to pick up. I am so so so excited. I appreciate and look after any car I've owned, from truly owned and done cars, to the newer ones in between, but I think this will be the first car I'll own that's truly a car people buy because of it's virtues beyond fitting a price point, or ticking a box, I think this is the first one classed as 'luxury' and one that will very much reward putting a lot of time in polishing, servicing, looking after and driving from 🙂 

• Like 6

I can see it was first registered in Barrow in Furness, a bit late now but I always avoid cars from the coast it's a bit salty, I'd have asked them to show you the engine bay, looking for rusty pipe clips and bolts, in the current climate there are a lot of cars being used as submarines.

• Like 1

Where I said F-Sport in my post, I meant Sport Pack Plus as the upgrade from the Sport. The F-Sport is indeed another trim upgrade with, as you said, different suspension. Well, at least it gave you some extra information and congrats on the purchase! 

• Like 1

Hi SB, well done they are a good car, though personally I wouldn't go near a black car, they show all the scratches and dents or one with a sun roof, don't want to worry you but I can't find any info of this car either with my, on phone App, has it had a plate change, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kaptkremmin said:

I can see it was first registered in Barrow in Furness, a bit late now but I always avoid cars from the coast it's a bit salty, I'd have asked them to show you the engine bay, looking for rusty pipe clips and bolts, in the current climate there are a lot of cars being used as submarines.

It’s definitely been in NI since at least 2021 (as I found a video of it at the same dealership on YouTube). Apparently it was bought then traded in when they did an event shortly after. Hopefully if it came here say 2020, that’d mean only the first 3 years by the sea.  Hopefully.  I’ll look when I get it. I did tell them I expect the grit under the wing mirrors to clean up well (and not turn out to be corrosion). They are aware (I told them) if it’s corrosion I would return the car. They said they understand if that’s the case but that if that’s the case they’d also have it repaired / repainted.  Hopefully won’t need this. 

47 minutes ago, MartsCT200 said:

Where I said F-Sport in my post, I meant Sport Pack Plus as the upgrade from the Sport. The F-Sport is indeed another trim upgrade with, as you said, different suspension. Well, at least it gave you some extra information and congrats on the purchase! 

Ah I see, yeah I was so confused yesterday but it all makes sense now. Mine doesn’t have the extra pack sadly. But I am happy, compared to my Avensis it’s a step up in refinement and comfort and my first ‘auto’ car which I’ve also always dreamt of having. 

38 minutes ago, Kaptkremmin said:

Hi SB, well done they are a good car, though personally I wouldn't go near a black car, they show all the scratches and dents or one with a sun roof, don't want to worry you but I can't find any info of this car either with my, on phone App, has it had a plate change, better safe than sorry.

Thanks! And true, it’s a love hate thing. I like them but am well aware. I think (especially if the dealer polish isn’t great) I will get it paint corrected and touched up next year for sure as the swirls are certainly strong on this one. 

not sure of plate changes, added it to My Lexus online but I need the V5C before it’ll show me the service history. Contemplating doing a check online but there’s so many … Cazana isn’t online anymore it used to show all the old ads and things if it was for sale (even Facebook?!).  What sites are to using or would you recommend? I could send you the VIN if it would help 

I use an App on my phone called vehicle smart, but it shows me nothing about that car, only it's last MOT, it might be because in was in NI. In the past when I've been waiting for the salesman I've took a photo of the name and address of the last owner on the log book.

• Like 1

SB congratulations on your purchase and well done for asking all the relevant questions especially on the forum, hopefully fingers crossed 🤞 all goes well with the bits that need doing etc and that all your fears and concerns are all finally allayed/put to rest 👍😉

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
21 hours ago, diabolik said:

How's the car @CT200NI SB? all nice and dandy?

Welcome to the Lexus world!

It’s amazing. It drives so smooth and handles sharp. It’s phenomenal to have an automatic car for the first time. It’s better on fuel than the Avensis. 

I did a lot of servicing stuff to it, it definitely seems a bit more crusty with rust underneath than the Avensis. But nothing structurally concerning. I think it just won’t last more than 15 years now haha it’s a little rougher paintwork wise too but not terrible. 

I love the car. I hope there’s a successor by the time mine is done because I never want to drive a non Hybrid Toyota or Lexus ever again for as long as I can! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links