Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mossy's SC430

Mossypossy

Thought I would gather together my owning experience in one place.

GY08UWW Windsor Blue with cream interior and walnut.

Bought just before Christmas 2023, as an actual present for me.

107,000 miles, last owner for 12 years who had it regularly serviced but neglected to get the book stamped. There is enough surviving paperwork to make me believe it was looked after. The owner ran a successful business, but he did use the car to commute to work down narrow Kent country roads. Him and his wife were in their mid 70's and there is the odd scuff as testament.

Owner agreed to have a Lexus Canterbury service before I bought it for some peace of mind, and a near 12 month MOT. He still did not stamp the book! ( I have the paperwork)

However, I decided slightly scuffed 2008 trumped a shiny on top 2003 model.

Pics from Facebook advert.

He wanted £10,000 which I thought was reasonable for a late model.

Managed to whittle him down to £8750 knowing there was stuff to do to improve the car over time. No rush as those things are all cosmetic.

Dover 1.jpg

Dover 2.jpg

Dover 5.jpg

Dover 8.jpg

• Like 7

Purchased Gliptone colour coded touch up dye for dirty worn bits.

Lexus paint touch up set for little scratches.

Driving it in the dark last night I did note that the headlights are a bit on the weedy side. This was mentioned in the only advisory on the MOT.

Simply a case of new bulbs? I understand that it is a bumper off job to replace them. I guess that is first option. Maybe ballast resistor?

Car is off to https://ccautomotive.co.uk tomorrow for underside rust prevention work. Got my priorities right. 

Then it can have a good wash to assess whether it needs to pay a visit to the body shop for paint correction for the scruffy bits. Would be perfect time to replace bulbs if bumper has to come off any way for painting.

wing.jpg

• Like 2

Steve ,

Quite often with the headlights the surface of the clear plastic degrades over the years which effects the lighting performance.

I have had very successful results correcting this on my SC430 and Mercedes CLK 320 by using MOTHERS Mag & Aluminium Metal Polish 5oz for most metals **COMPLETE KIT** : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive 

I applied and polished it by hand with 3 applications with excellent results to the lens. I expect even better results using a machine polisher or drill.

It does work! (read the amazon reviews)

• Like 3

The other problem I've had is with the headlamp aim being too low. It satisfies the MOT standards but the dipped beam doesn't project quite far enough. (in my case lowering the car didn't help) Careful minor manual adjustment fixed it but I think it can be cancelled out if there is a need to do a zero calibration procedure. So many systems can be affected by even a failure of just one sensor, whether it's a height, yaw or wheel speed sensor. 

• Like 1

While you are here Neil. Meister coilovers seem to actually be a cheaper alternative to replacing all four corners with new Lexus shocks and springs. Might as well replace the 16 year old springs if I am doing the shocks.

Do you need to cut little holes in the carpet for the rear ones? If so how do you pinpoint where to cut the hole?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

While you are here Neil. Meister coilovers seem to actually be a cheaper alternative to replacing all four corners with new Lexus shocks and springs. Might as well replace the 16 year old springs if I am doing the shocks.

Do you need to cut little holes in the carpet for the rear ones? If so how do you pinpoint where to cut the hole?

Yes Steve, to access the adjusters a small cut out is required. It is quite easy to judge where to cut when replacing the boot carpet trim. You could dab a bit of chalk or grease on the top of the strut and then slowly press the carpet on top of it to make the mark for the hole. Some owners have fitted quite large (2-3") round pop out covers over the top of them to make it neat and that removes the need for pin point accuracy with the first cut. I'm no car wizard and I had no trouble with it. If you are going to get professional help to fit the MeisterRs I'm sure they would cut the holes for you for a tiny bit extra.

• Like 1

Stew did a nice creative thing with the coilovers. He fit some 3 to 4" circular hifi speaker covers over the carpet area cut to fit the coilovers. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. They actually do just look like an extension to the sound system. Very neat really.

10 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Lexus changed front shock design for 2005.

How come Meister only have one choice that covers 2001-2009?

I think there are 2 flavours that fit all SC430 models. Lexus upgraded the shocks but they are all similar to fit the same chassis whether an early or later model. Yes damping can be set to maximise comfort. On standard wheels and tyres, I found the front can be set firm and still be comfortable, less firm made little difference whereas the rear was best set around the mid-point for the ride to be acceptable.

Well worth upgrading the rear anti-roll bar to limit the sway too, yes it improves the handling but I think it improves the behaviour for comfort too. 

Check here for the MeisterR details. 

Well. Took car to my rust prevention man and we got it up on his lift.

He broke the news to me. "There is nothing I can do".

The underside is that good!!!

"Bring it back in 5 years maybe".

Couple of tiny places that I can treat myself. He was also impressed that no garage monkeys have ever crushed the jacking point seams.

Happy days.

• Like 2

Good news ! I just learned we have to be a bit careful undersealing as the 'black stuff' whilst may be effective also gets a MOT advisory for better, or worse.

11 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Good news ! I just learned we have to be a bit careful undersealing as the 'black stuff' whilst may be effective also gets a MOT advisory for better, or worse.

and your “ sealing in “ whatever you’re painting over, rust and all !

Malc 

14 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

and your “ sealing in “ whatever you’re painting over, rust and all !

Malc 

Guess that's why prep is so usually the most important part of many processes.

Expected to see some crusty bits. Worst bit is under spare wheel hump, easily sorted though.

But we did see a bit of oil leakage from a front shock. Well done Lexus, null points for MOT guy.

Screenshot_20240116-171200.jpeg

IMG_20240116_105309.jpg

• Like 1

Took it for a drive today.

Observations. Low winter sun caused bad reflection on windscreen from bulge in dash above instrument cluster.

Lazy wing mirror has cured itself.

What are the two thin vertical lines in middle of windscreen?

Car needs a wash!

4 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Is it a heated windscreen?

Screen was replaced shortly before I got it. Proper Lexus branded one.

You do have two heat buttons either side of your centre control panel. One is for rear and other is front. I would have thought any windscreen replacement on a like for like basis would be heated.

13 minutes ago, Neil E said:

....It may take a while for the front screen to heat up as it's a radio aerial. 

I had him going though !:wink3:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links