Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SatNav accuracy on 450h+

I have had several occasions (over 7 months, the car arrived in June) when my SatNav simply didn't recognise perfectly good address, Google maps had it for seconds. My map was recently updated at my Lexus dealership and yet, it doesn't seem to get better. Wasn't the SatNav based on Google maps?

Another thing I was hoping for was to see the App sending the chosen address directly to the car. There have been two updates of the App but I do not think this has been addressed. I wonder whether it is on the table for future updates.

Anyone that have had similar experience?

On the few occasions that I have used the Lexus satnav it has actually been OK. Only once did it direct me in a rather strange route and it has never failed to recognise an address.

• Like 2

Just three days ago the Lexus sat nav sent me up a side road in Bristol up to a junction that had clearly been closed off for many years, possibly decades!

• Like 1

If i want accurate sat nav i use apple car play or google maps. The internal Lexus sat nav I’m afraid to say is well below par when compared to our German friends systems……

at present Lexus link+ app doesn’t send destination to car 

• Like 3

The 14 inch Satnav uses embedded mapping whereas the 9.8 inch version uses cloud based mapping provided by TomTom and so doesn't need updating.

Downside of the cloud based system is if you don't have a mobile (or WiFi ) signal into the vehicle at the time you're unable to locate an address. I use Android Auto always which also lets you create a route and download it to your phone if required.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hayzee said:

The 14 inch Satnav uses embedded mapping whereas the 9.8 inch version uses cloud based mapping provided by TomTom and so doesn't need updating.

Downside of the cloud based system is if you don't have a mobile (or WiFi ) signal into the vehicle at the time you're unable to locate an address. I use Android Auto always which also lets you create a route and download it to your phone if required.

Thanks Colin, interesting and explains why some owners have been told to expect annual updates and I was told that my map didn't need a dealer update (9.8" screen). When out today, the satnav correctly warned me of queueing traffic ahead. Only a couple of BT vans but it was right. Would I have got that with a 14" screen?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Would I have got that with a 14" screen?

Yes Malcolm, both setups have online access to live traffic information.

The mobile route is usually the most accurate and usually free.
Whack it up on the car screen with whichever connecting system you require, job done.

Google Maps OK, apple Maps rubbish in my previous experience in London, could find a pub that was right behind me and I was very thirsty!)
But my preference is Waze with all the "safety" camera info, and more accurate GPS based speedo. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, AWC said:

Just three days ago the Lexus sat nav sent me up a side road in Bristol up to a junction that had clearly been closed off for many years, possibly decades!

Had exactly the same issue in Bristol a few months ago

1 hour ago, Artstoneme said:

Had exactly the same issue in Bristol a few months ago

Makes you wonder if Lexus has something against Bristol!

Just an interesting aside: Last week I was traveling along a (non major) road (40 MPH limit) using Android Auto (AA) and received a voice message telling me that there was a mobile speed camera ahead. Indeed, a coupe of hundred yards ahead there was a unmarked police van with a speed camera protruding out the back window.

I never realised this was possible with AA, so there must be a way of a google maps (AA) user being able to report such a sighting, just like when you can report a sudden road closure etc. Wouldn't have thought Google would be able to do this. Useful though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Just an interesting aside: Last week I was traveling along a (non major) road (40 MPH limit) using Android Auto (AA) and received a voice message telling me that there was a mobile speed camera ahead. Indeed, a coupe of hundred yards ahead there was a unmarked police van with a speed camera protruding out the back window.

I never realised this was possible with AA, so there must be a way of a google maps (AA) user being able to report such a sighting, just like when you can report a sudden road closure etc. Wouldn't have thought Google would be able to do this. Useful though.

I wonder if this is a knock-on benefit of Google's purchase of Waze in 2013?

20 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

I wonder if this is a knock-on benefit of Google's purchase of Waze in 2013?

Indeed it is.
Well, it fits the Google business model anyway. They'll run side by side for a while, Waze will eventually get phased out and you'll be using Goo-Aze which will be free, but you have to subscribe and share all your intimate data with them. Then move on to a "want it up to date" paid subs model.

Then Iphone users won't be able to install it from the App Store due to the bitter rivalry and you'll have to have apple Maps with an inferior Waze type interface that's rubbish.

I hope I'm totally wrong about the above, as I like my Iphone and Waze

I have always taken the satnav routes with a pinch of salt. Every single nav system that I have owned in cars for the last 20 years has tried to take me down a cut-through footpath (we call them jittys in Leicester but might be one of those dialects like cob/batch/roll). It has never been a road but the mapping source that all navigation systems seem to use obviously think it is accessible. 

what I have noticed however is that often when starting a journey the location is 2-3 meters out so the route gets a bit confused to start with. After a few minutes it does sort itself out but we often have a laugh with the kids when the nav is showing the car going through houses. 

it does happen mid journey as well sometimes, especially when there is a parallel service road close to the road I’m on, and the navigation thinks I’ve turned into the service road even though I haven’t. Having watched it when I haven’t been driving it’s seems the navigation tries to be predictive with where you’re going, I assume using compass and speed/steering etc so it doesn’t need to query the GPS so often and so seems to think you’re going down a different road, and then a minute or two later it corrects itself.

i don’t think systems are charged for GPS use other than the initial licence so it might be a processing/responsiveness thing

for info I have the 14” nav system 

Edited by SA1
Correct an autocorrection

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links