Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple Air Tag Have you one in your lexus for added security

Security question..As We Are All Chasing Our Tails on Car Security What do members Think about The apple Air Tag I.e Secluding one inside the Vehicle that would enable Us to Track in the event of the car being stolen..What are the Pros and Cons of Having one of these In The vehicle...I take it some Members of the Group have them.. Would be interested in there Comments And if they are Worth having installed....I Was Thinking of getting one..!!!!! Another Gadget i Hear you say..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have 2 Samsung SmartTags (the Android equivalent to Apple's AirTags) hidden in my NX350h. Their location (and therefore that of the car) can be pinpointed via the accompanying Samsung SmartThings app on my phone (and only my phone).

Overall they work very well albeit they rely on other Samsung smartphones in their vicinity to detect them and report their location to Samsung's central server, so coverage can be a bit patchy. 

I'm not suggesting that they are a real alternative to the bespoke car trackers on the market but I'm hopeful that they could help me to find the car (to within a street or two) should the worst happen. Only time will tell I guess. 

57 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Ronnie

Worth taking a look at this page from the Apple support site, particularly the section on "Unwanted Tracking"

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212227

Thieves will be well aware of this.

With regards to the point you make  @Hayzee regarding unwanted tracking and the safety measure built into the system to prevent, for example, stalking, etc., there are ways to circumvent this - which I won't go into on this forum (and which I definitely don't condone for other, more nefarious, uses of these devices). 

6 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Security question..As We Are All Chasing Our Tails on Car Security What do members Think about The Apple Air Tag I.e Secluding one inside the Vehicle that would enable Us to Track in the event of the car being stolen..What are the Pros and Cons of Having one of these In The vehicle...I take it some Members of the Group have them.. Would be interested in there Comments And if they are Worth having installed....I Was Thinking of getting one..!!!!! Another Gadget i Hear you say..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am considering doing the same (as an interim step). However, an android phone nearby will highlight there is an apple AirTag nearby - my partner’s phone flags this without doing anything - presumably as Android hate apple. So any criminal will easily be able to detect the tags are present and will start searching the car.

Not ideal, but better than nothing I suppose?

I added an AirTag into the car when the app wasn’t working for car location etc. I just haven’t removed it since app started working again as I thought that a secondary location wouldn’t hurt

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:16 PM, Hayzee said:

Ronnie

Worth taking a look at this page from the Apple support site, particularly the section on "Unwanted Tracking"

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212227

Thieves will be well aware of this.

Just to add - with current airtags it is possible to disable the "play a sound" feature.  So the airtag will be VERY difficult for the thief to find and disable.

Hopefully if they attempt to ship your car in a container the airtag will be detected by a phone of the customs/handling crew at the docks.  At which point you will have a chance of getting your car back.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Security question..As We Are All Chasing Our Tails on Car Security What do members Think about The Apple Air Tag I.e Secluding one inside the Vehicle that would enable Us to Track in the event of the car being stolen..What are the Pros and Cons of Having one of these In The vehicle...I take it some Members of the Group have them.. Would be interested in there Comments And if they are Worth having installed....I Was Thinking of getting one..!!!!! Another Gadget i Hear you say..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thieves must own an Iphone, with Bluetooth and localization turned on. I bet they would know better to keep those services turned off. If they are able to steal a Lexus, they would know how not to be tracked.

Very interesting to read the comments and observations given I have just connected with a Samsung tag my disabled brother wears around his neck. My sister has been "tracking" him for some time now but it is only in the last few days I have connected via the "Smart Things" app. I've got to say I am well impressed with how it works and given its size, I'd reckon you could hide it where burglar Bill will never find or suspect it. For thirty or so quid it's got to be worth a punt.

• Like 1

Is it only me who, if my car is stolen, really doesn't want it back? Wouldn't know how it was driven or what damage had been done to shocks or frame. I really would rather get the insurance and buy another.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, robby666 said:

Is it only me who, if my car is stolen, really doesn't want it back? Wouldn't know how it was driven or what damage had been done to shocks or frame. I really would rather get the insurance and buy another.

I can see what you're saying but typically Lexus cars are stolen for spare parts or for shipping overseas - not to be thrashed by a couple of joyriding yobs (there are plenty of hot-hatchbacks around for that purpose). From what I gather, the thieves drive the car to a quiet location somewhere and wait a day or two to see if the owner finds it. In this scenario the tags may prove invaluable and, assuming that the thieves hadn't caused too damage in the method by which they stole it, I'd probably want it back.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:46 AM, JohnLexus said:

Just to add - with current airtags it is possible to disable the "play a sound" feature.  So the airtag will be VERY difficult for the thief to find and disable.

Hopefully if they attempt to ship your car in a container the airtag will be detected by a phone of the customs/handling crew at the docks.  At which point you will have a chance of getting your car back.

Another alternative to disabling the “play a sound” is to remove the speaker from the AirTag Easily done in 90 seconds, YouTube videos make it even easier.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links