Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I collected my RC300H a week ago and I'm very pleased with my experience so far. I've driven about 300 miles on all types of road and I've used all modes, including a bit of S+ on some twisties and Eco on the M40 etc. My average MPG has been around 38 which isn't bad in this cold weather and given that most of my driving is extra urban. I'm still trying to figure out some of the multimedia stuff but I have found all that I need. The ML sound system is good but I haven't used the Lexus satnav as I prefer Google Maps on Android Auto. The outstanding impression is one of comfort and serenity - it's a smoooth car to drive and is no slouch (but not a rocket ship)

Just a couple of niggles. I'm not getting mpg or range info on the Lexus Link app - maybe that's not available with the RC because it's last decade?  And the 5 year Lexus/Emac Service Plan I was quoted didn't maintain current service pricing at all and would only be cheaper than pay-as-you-go if service pricing increases by more than 10% per annum!

Not a slouch... can't comment as that would get me banned 😅 But it is experience of comfort and serenity, also there is no urge to go fast or race anyone, because of the "no slouch" part - I was greatly offended by ratty 20 years old Clio overtaking me from the lights and cutting in front of me and after that insult I never even tried to prevent this from happening again. So overall very relaxing car to drive - other cars driving fast don't bother you, because you know you are not capable of matching them anyway, not even 20 years old Clio.

I would note that ECO mode is not economical, in my experience you will get better MPG in Normal or even Sport. ML is good as you said, especially in RC. Lexus Sat-Nav is kind of junk, clunky, slow inaccurate - I assume you have android auto on your car? Quite surprised 2020 RC already got it, but if you do then you are very lucky and you should continue using it, there isn't even any comparison between it and Lexus system.

I would assume that you right about an app - RC is still fundamentally based on Lexus tech from 2013, even thought it was facelifted the core of the system is the one from IS300h that came out in 2013, so I would not be surprised if Lexus Link app functionality would be limited and would only work on latest models. Lexus is not amazing with this stuff, even LC500 only got Android Auto in last couple of years, overall integration of tech is also poor (e.g. Merc, BMW, Audi has long figured out app integration pretty much across the range), Lexus seems to focus on SUVs, so the best tech and integration experience would be on SUVs like NX or RX. Coupes are just ignored when it comes to R&D in tech side. My RC really looked dated tech wise compared to same year NX, despite costing the same.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Parker87 said:

And the 5 year Lexus/Emac Service Plan I was quoted didn't maintain current service pricing at all and would only be cheaper than pay-as-you-go if service pricing increases by more than 10% per annum!

I do two year plans with three services over those two years (paid over that time on a monthly DD) - just taken out another two year plan and the cost for the three services is as per the price currently on the Lexus website and so that's fixed for two years for me. May be worth checking on yours if the uplift is policy for a 5 year plan or a mistake. 

• Like 1

Yeah - sorry, regarding service plan. I have no experience with 5 years, but what usually happens to me - I come to do service and they ask me if I would like to take service plan out, at which point they usually offer discount if I prepay for 2-3 years. Example - let's say 60k service is £685, when it comes to pay for it service manager would say - maybe you would be interested to take service plan instead for something like £805 if you prepay today, which which work out cheaper than £685 major + £265 minor obviously. At least that was my experience maybe 5 years ago and I am not sure if Lexus still offers such discounts since Relax Warranty was introduced and Essential Care was discontinued.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments Linas and Phil. I can confirm that I am lucky enough to have working Android Auto on my car and it was one of the reasons that I chose this particular car. As for the Service Plan, I was disappointed that the salesman's assurances that "the prices would be fixed" were mistaken in this case...🙄

Just now, Parker87 said:

Thank you for your comments Linas and Phil. I can confirm that I am lucky enough to have working Android Auto on my car and it was one of the reasons that I chose this particular car. As for the Service Plan, I was disappointed that the salesman's assurances that "the prices would be fixed" were mistaken in this case...🙄

May be worth an email to Lexus customer relations - cr@lexus.co.uk - to ask them what is the score on this as my understanding was that if you take a service plan although there is no discount from the published service pricing on the website (though as Linas said some dealers may have offered this in the past with an upfront payment, but not sure now with the new national service offering) what you are getting is to fix the price of the services going forward so you are shielded from inflation. The Lexus web page states: FIXED-PRICE The monthly price is interest-free and completely fixed, meaning it won't increase with inflation. If you haven't seen it already have a look at:https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/service-plans and https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/servicing-mot-hybrid-health-check

If the price of the plan is now being increased to hedge against inflation then there is little incentive to take it - might as well bank the money (and make interest on it) and pay for each service as needed. You can cancel the service plan at any time and receive a refund of monies paid (that have not been used yet for a service) and so that option is still open to you if you have been misled in any way.

Thanks Phil. The strange thing about the quote is that my car's Plan shows it as being in the "Executive and Performance"  rather than the "Mid Size" category, which is understandably more expensive. I did go into my local centre to discuss this (as I bought the car from another centre) but they could not explain this phenomenon and also said that they (having a different parent company) couldn't offer a 5 year Plan as such. I think that the salesman who dealt with my car purchase has acted in good faith and has just given me 'what the computer says'. I shall contact Lexus directly as you suggest because, as you say, it does appear that they're hedging against inflation and the Plan has nil appeal. 

35 minutes ago, Parker87 said:

Thanks Phil. The strange thing about the quote is that my car's Plan shows it as being in the "Executive and Performance"  rather than the "Mid Size" category, which is understandably more expensive. I did go into my local centre to discuss this (as I bought the car from another centre) but they could not explain this phenomenon and also said that they (having a different parent company) couldn't offer a 5 year Plan as such. I think that the salesman who dealt with my car purchase has acted in good faith and has just given me 'what the computer says'. I shall contact Lexus directly as you suggest because, as you say, it does appear that they're hedging against inflation and the Plan has nil appeal. 

It all sounds a bit odd... as you say if the car is in the "Executive and Performance" looks like someone has messed up. The parent company (as far as I know) shouldn't affect what service plan they can offer as they moved to National Plans (as per the Lexus website) - in the past they used to be by dealer group so once you had a plan you could only use that dealer group for servicing. I wonder whether the 5 year plan you have was somehow still only tied to the dealer group you purchased the car from?

Given that you bought the car from a different centre to the one you will be using for servicing (I assume) to get the bottom of it sounds like it would be worthwhile contacting Lexus customer relations and asking them to check out what is what. Worse case is that you should be able to cancel the existing 5 year one if needed and then take out a new one at the right price (though may then not be for 5 years).

• Like 1

I have just looked at my service plan, taken out last year for another 3 years after my initial 2 year plan run out.

The cost for 2 full services & one intermediate service is £1465/ £35.80 a month which should be the same for your RC. There is no discount, but it stays at that price even if the cost of servicing goes up.

• Like 1

Hi Steve. My quoted cost for 3 fulls, 2 intermediates and 5 MOT's is £3414. I calculated this to be

£800 more than at current prices, which is quite an uplift for inflation!

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Parker87 said:

Hi Steve. My quoted cost for 3 fulls, 2 intermediates and 5 MOT's is £3414. I calculated this to be

Hi Richard, that does seem way too much. You are right to question it.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:22 PM, Parker87 said:

I collected my RC300H a week ago and I'm very pleased with my experience so far. I've driven about 300 miles on all types of road and I've used all modes, including a bit of S+ on some twisties and Eco on the M40 etc. My average MPG has been around 38 which isn't bad in this cold weather and given that most of my driving is extra urban. I'm still trying to figure out some of the multimedia stuff but I have found all that I need. The ML sound system is good but I haven't used the Lexus satnav as I prefer Google Maps on Android Auto. The outstanding impression is one of comfort and serenity - it's a smoooth car to drive and is no slouch (but not a rocket ship)

Just a couple of niggles. I'm not getting mpg or range info on the Lexus Link app - maybe that's not available with the RC because it's last decade?  And the 5 year Lexus/Emac Service Plan I was quoted didn't maintain current service pricing at all and would only be cheaper than pay-as-you-go if service pricing increases by more than 10% per annum!

Richard The lexus Link + app is all over the place at the moment So Don,t Let that put you Off...As Far as i know they are still working on the Software to iron out all the problems....But it aint Coming on the Fast Boat..!!! Happy Motoring With Your New AMAZING..!!!

• Like 1

Update on the Service Plan - I've just had a conversation with a Manager at the Lexus Centre involved and it turns out that my Plan has been calculated on the basis of my car being an RC-F! I suspected this but it's good to have it confirmed, and a new quote will be forthcoming. They declined my offer to accept an RC-F to balance the books 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Parker87 said:

Update on the Service Plan - I've just had a conversation with a Manager at the Lexus Centre involved and it turns out that my Plan has been calculated on the basis of my car being an RC-F! I suspected this but it's good to have it confirmed, and a new quote will be forthcoming. They declined my offer to accept an RC-F to balance the books 😉

Good that you have got to the bottom of it and can now start to enjoy the car. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Parker87 said:

When I bought my RC-F from Swindon, a salesman at my local dealer argued with me that I bought an RC-F Sport when I enquired with them….

I had to take him outside and open the bonnet to show him the engine before he believed me.  Thought I was the mistaken one….

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2024 at 12:03 PM, Parker87 said:

Now, if you'd gone along with his opinion Marcus, you might have got away with a much cheaper Service Plan 😉.

This was when I was buying!  They were trying to sell me a RC300h

😮 The shame of it!  😄

I'd love to have a drive of an RC-F though. The manager who sorted out my Service Plan did say I might be able to have one as a courtesy car if I took my car there to be serviced but I suspect that was just Car-dealer speak!

6 hours ago, Parker87 said:

😮 The shame of it!  😄

I'd love to have a drive of an RC-F though. The manager who sorted out my Service Plan did say I might be able to have one as a courtesy car if I took my car there to be serviced but I suspect that was just Car-dealer speak!

I heard all that too, haven’t yet been in a dealer with an RCF on the forecourt to be honest….

Every time I’m in I’ll look at an LC500 but never get a drive….. can’t quite bring myself to waste a salesman’s time when I’ve got no intention of buying.  

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:21 PM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Richard The lexus Link + app is all over the place at the moment So Don,t Let that put you Off...As Far as i know they are still working on the Software to iron out all the problems....But it aint Coming on the Fast Boat..!!! Happy Motoring With Your New AMAZING..!!!

They tried ironing it out for as long as I can remember... so 8 years perhaps... still hit and miss. Also it is highly model specific, I am sure most of features works on RX, but they are just not correctly disabled on RC. Overall, it is kind of sad because RC is really the car I want to like, but Lexus just didn't put effort into it, they knew it will be low volume product and the car always felt unpolished in my opinion. Not in any fundamental way, but especially around features, technology, how it is integrated together - digital dash is perfect example, it literally offers limitless possibilities to show any information, show maps like in other cars, it is just matter of developing little gadgets to display it... but it is as basic as it gets, there is so little customisation possible that it seems they never bothered to even try. NX and RC does not get LFA style instruments, but they have just so much more options and inflation available there.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:52 PM, Parker87 said:

This is sadly quite common i.e. confuse RC F-Sport with RC-F and it happens both ways. I don't mind it too much when some private seller lists RC300h F-Sport in RC-F section, but it clearly says 2.5L hybrid, but it really pisses me off when actual Lexus dealers makes this mistake and it is very common one at that. After all they are the people who should be experts on the car and if they can't tell RC-F from RC300h F-Sport, then it does not inspire confidence. Your one isn't even F-Sport, so I just don't understand why they made this mistake. 

On 1/19/2024 at 4:20 PM, Bounce75 said:

On 1/19/2024 at 4:20 PM, Bounce75 said:

Hi Richard, that does seem way too much. You are right to question it.

Not wanting to be a pessimist but what if one dropped dead just after paying for future services. I bet you'd be mad as hell.  Ooops sorry that doesn't sound good.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:18 AM, Linas.P said:

I was greatly offended by ratty 20 years old Clio overtaking me from the lights and cutting in front of me

And Linas, surely by now you know that NOTHING  is faster than a ratty Clio. It's just a fact of life.

13 minutes ago, GMB said:

Not wanting to be a pessimist but what if one dropped dead just after paying for future services. I bet you'd be mad as hell.  Ooops sorry that doesn't sound good.

And Linas, surely by now you know that NOTHING  is faster than a ratty Clio. It's just a fact of life.

It was legitimately fast one, my guess would be RS 2.0, so it does 0-60 in 6.7s and as we know RC300h had no chances against it. It even had speed lines and little wing at the back (pointing upwards and giving it's rear a little bit of a lift as it suppose to), so that should have been my sign to back off. 

I still don't think speed and acceleration is acceptable for RC300h, but that is my opinion I guess.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links