Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering a RX450h 2015-2016

Hi All - Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and this is my first post! I'm parting ways with my 2001 BMW e38 7 series as the engine died on me. Was my pride and joy for the last 15 years. Anyway I'm considering I think its a series 3 of the RX450h aiming for around 50k miles or there abouts and 2015-2016 model. I have a few questions 

1. Is this range of model an easy target for canbus theft. I was reading the forum and heard some of the horror stories. Couldn't pin point which series it affected aside from the most recent

2. Which trim level is the more superior SE, Luxury, F-Sport, Premier I also see Advanced too.. Its quite confusing. I'm guessing SE is the basic.. I like my toys if thats any help... 

3. Anything i should look for when going to view cars.. Initially was looking at dealers and trade sellers but finding a lot more options looking at Private sales too. I've never bought privately is there any extra protection that can be had from going private. 

4. Any pits falls to consider if buying a higher mileage model maybe 80-100k

5. Any benefit by buying a 3rd party Warranty via Lexus or any other company?

Think thats it for now.. look forward to hearing some productive replies

Thanks

Jag

• Like 1

Welcome Jag

The series III RX (2009-2015/16) doesn't have the CAN bus vulnerability, only the series IV (2016-2022/3) is vulnerable.

See here for detailed info on the spec of the various different grades (Premier is the top grade):

• Like 4

Welcome Jag. I own pretty much what you'll be looking out for, a late 2014 3rd generation model. It's now on 76k, I've done over 50,000 of that since I bought it in 2019. It just works, it's reasonable on fuel, decent to drive and doesn't have too much 'in your face' tech but what is there is good quality. It's not the top-spec model so it doesn't have the occasionally troublesome air suspension.

I use mine driving around muddy country lanes, in town and on holiday in France. It's equally capable for all of those things. The loadbay isn't as big as some large estate cars, but it can take a fair bit of weight.

The ride isn't quite as cosseting as you might expect (nothing like my older LS400), but I suppose it has to fairly firmly sprung to give reasonable handling on what is a heavy car.

I suspect you'll find fewer toys than on the BMW. For me it's more about quality and you might find it takes a while for some of its good points become apparent. There are two other local ones that I see, both have also been with their owners for a long time.

The lower-spec SE 'base model' is rare, you could almost dismiss ever finding one.

The nav system is fairly basic whatever model you get.

The only really common fault is the power tailgate mechanism, it seems to be affected by cold/damp weather and every winter there'll be a fresh round of people suffering with it. Hasn't happened to mine (yet?!) despite it living outside.

In common with other Lexus hybrids the 12v Battery is small and it doesn't like being left for long periods without being run. Replacement options are limited, but it's nothing to do with the hybrid Battery

I personally wouldn't worry about higher mileage if it has good history - mine is doing just as well now as it was when I bought at 23k miles.

I'm planning to keep mine for another 5+ years, maybe longer if it's still doing a good job. It goes to the main dealer for servicing plus I've had other visits there for brakes and the 12v Battery (it suffered during Covid lockdown). My view is if I treat it like a nearly-new car then it will behave like one.

A 2015-16 model as you're looking at will qualify for the no-cost Relax warranty until it's 10 years old (and 100k miles I think?), so ong as it's serviced by a main dealer. After that Lexus offer an extended warranty, about £500/yr which includes full AA cover (including European cover). Again it's dependent on servicing at the dealer, and I shall probably keep going with it on mine. Services there will also give warranty cover on the hybrid Battery up to 15 years old.

• Like 2

My previous car was a BMW E39 (which I still have but expect to sell later this year).  I changed to the top Premier model 3rd Series RX450h because of back problems. The length of the third series RX450h is the same as my E39 so probably a little shorter than the E38. The V6 in the Lexus is almost as smooth as the straight 6 in the Beamer petrol. 0-60 in both is about 7.5 seconds.  However, there is a big difference between the auto gearbox which sounds like clutch slip in the RX, particularly with hard acceleration.  So you just have to accept it and learn to live with it. As the RX is largely front wheel drive assisted by electric power on the rear, you do get a bit of torque steer when you boot it.

Many of the spare parts are only available from Lexus and are quite expensive as being a much bigger selling car in the UK and Europe, there are far more alternatively produced parts for BMW.  The RX handles well enough for a high high and heavy car and still has a spare wheel, albeit a slightly less broad space saver, one of the reasons why I ruled out a BMW SUV. brakes are good at lower speeds but don't match those of the E39 or E38 at high speed all with standard pads.

As has been mentioned the 12v Battery is low capacity and is expensive if replaced with the identical Panasonic or Yuasa equivalent AGM.  A number of members have just replaced theirs with a much  cheaper Fullflow Lead Acid one.  (There are threads on this if you search for them. 

I couldn't get on with the Lexus Navigation so use a 6" TomTom with free updates  and cameras mounted on a platform I fabricated.

Sound though the ML system provides good sound in better spec cars but infotainment system lags behind current standard but probably equal to your E38.

I plan to keep my car for a few years yet until the traction batteries in full EV vehicles are more advanced and the network of chargers improves.

• Like 3

Hi Jag, we purchased our 2011 Advance model in 2014 with 70k on the clock, it’s predominately my wife’s car but we always use it for family getaways with two kids, the dog, luggage etc. Now with 150k on the clock, annually serviced and nothing has gone wrong. As has been mentioned, not as cosseting as something like the LS400 which I ran for 18 years but a very easy to live with do it all car which no would no hesitation in recommending. I too like to buy privately and tend to use my gut feel about the owner/condition etc, if things go wrong on a private sale there’s little chance you can do a great deal about it. Good luck

• Like 2

No real piitfalls with higher mileage if properly maintained. If going that route try to find one that's recently had the spark plug change (every 6 years 60k miles according to service schedule) as that adds a couple of hundred or so to a full service.

No real come back on private sales, so check service history and make sure everything works. Assuming it's running well and the cosmetics are good, I'd also  get a torch and have a look at the underside for corrosion. There's bound to be a little surface stuff, but check wheel arches and sills too for anything more concerning.  Cars from the far north and coastal regions are more prone to  it, so bear that in mind when looking. Also check all carpets, as well as compartments in the boot for signs of damp or water ingress. Doesn't seem to be an issue on 3rd Gen, but worth checking, especially if car has a sunroof or roof bars.

Third pary warranties tend be useless, but Lexus do an exxtended warranty for cars up 15yrs/150k after the 10 year relax warranty expires. Both require that the car is serviced by Lexus to schedule (ongoing, not historic). Relax is extended free with each service, and the 10yr plus extended warranty is about £560 a year for an RX.

Wow thats a wealth of information.. many thanks! from the way the comments are flowing it seems like the 3rd series is the way to go. I've also noticed that the 4th generation with some cars also can fall into the price range and looking at a 2016+ model, but im so worried about the canbus thefts as a my area is a hot target for car thefts.. will see how things pan out once i start looking..

I was passing by a Lexus dealership and thought I'd pop my head in and see what was on offer. 3rd series being slightly older they didn't have much in the way of car options so were swaying me to pay more and go towards a 2016+ car, not very helpful in that sense. I mentioned Canbus theft and the chap was ignorant to it saying it was the first he had heard.. anyway made my excuses and left..

Anyway back to the point will start my hunt for a RX once i can get this BMW 7 series off my driveway...

Thanks again all

Jag

5 hours ago, Jag-1978 said:

I've also noticed that the 4th generation with some cars also can fall into the price range and looking at a 2016+ model, but im so worried about the canbus thefts as a my area is a hot target for car thefts.. will see how things pan out once i start looking..

Get some insurance quotes for both gens, potentially there could be a big difference starting to emerge.

6 hours ago, Jag-1978 said:

Wow thats a wealth of information.. many thanks! from the way the comments are flowing it seems like the 3rd series is the way to go. I've also noticed that the 4th generation with some cars also can fall into the price range and looking at a 2016+ model, but im so worried about the canbus thefts as a my area is a hot target for car thefts.. will see how things pan out once i start looking..

I was passing by a Lexus dealership and thought I'd pop my head in and see what was on offer. 3rd series being slightly older they didn't have much in the way of car options so were swaying me to pay more and go towards a 2016+ car, not very helpful in that sense. I mentioned Canbus theft and the chap was ignorant to it saying it was the first he had heard.. anyway made my excuses and left..

Anyway back to the point will start my hunt for a RX once i can get this BMW 7 series off my driveway...

Thanks again all

Jag

Jag,

Which dealer claims does not know about CANbus thefts?  At best they aren't keeping up with what's been happening, so I think you were right to make your excuses.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Get some insurance quotes for both gens, potentially there could be a big difference starting to emerge.

Yeah that's a good idea. I'm quite sure it's not going to compare to the £250 I'm currently paying on my 2001 BMW e38

40 minutes ago, PDM said:

Jag,

Which dealer claims does not know about CANbus thefts?  At best they aren't keeping up with what's been happening, so I think you were right to make your excuses.

Paul

It was the dealership in Solihull.. He said cars get stolen all the time as they are desirable not just Lexus, but when I said canbus theft specific to the 4th gen he was ignorant starting he didn't know of such a thing, I told him to get online and do some reading.. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm, got my GS from Solihull, wasn’t a great experience in terms of the level of service and expertise, that said, the person you dealt with wouldn’t be the first car salesman to be lacking knowledge, amazes me how many salesmen have little real interest in cars or the motor industry.

2015-16...

Buy it from Lexus

10 year or 100,000 mile warranty included.

Spec:-  F-Sport or Takumi (was called Premier back then)

Ensure the CANBUS securing plates have been fitted by Lexus

Enjoy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lex loafer said:

2015-16...

Buy it from Lexus

10 year or 100,000 mile warranty included.

Spec:-  F-Sport or Takumi (was called Premier back then)

Ensure the CANBUS securing plates have been fitted by Lexus

Enjoy

Rob, the 3rd Generation RX450's don't suffer from canbus thefts. 

7 hours ago, Lex loafer said:

I was quite clear 2015-16. While at the 4th gen was released in 2015, there were also some 3rd gen’s about. 
Post amended. 

Series IV launched in September for Jan 2016 deliveries. Some series III were still being registered in 2016. 

Personally I’d stay away from series IV if you live in a city. It might not get stolen if you fit plates but the insurance will continue to rise and now some companies won’t even quote. 

Personally I’ve had four 4th rx450h’s and consider them the best of the 5 gens. 
get the canbus security plates fitted.

if you are still worried have a canbus set of plates and ghost 2 fitted; this will prevent key cloning and car hacking. 

if you are still still worried get the canbus, ghost and a tracker fitted in case they lift the car onto a waggon and drive it off. 

if you are still still still worried, stay at home and get under the bed as there are risks with all walk of life. 

As for insurance, most all premiums have risen 40% in the last year so they will likely get you no matter what. 

if you live in a city say, London, possibly an e-bike or e-scooter is the direction of travel pushed by the mayor. good luck with that. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links