Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Further to my previous post on insurance premiums I have done some research on-line and a called someone I know in the motor trade.

It appears that the more advanced your car is the more likely you are to get a huge hike in your insurance. Bottom line, the insurance companies don’t like the repair bills!.

Your car is with all its sensors and cameras to help you drive safely is a complete waste of time because when the jerk who hits you in a car without anti-collision your repair bills are off the scale. Add to that hybrid or all electric and its worse still to repair. In many cases written off for a small shunt.

All very scary

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, roy troman said:

Further to my previous post on insurance premiums I have done some research on-line and a called someone I know in the motor trade.

It appears that the more advanced your car is the more likely you are to get a huge hike in your insurance. Bottom line, the insurance companies don’t like the repair bills!.

Your car is with all its sensors and cameras to help you drive safely is a complete waste of time because when the jerk who hits you in a car without anti-collision your repair bills are off the scale. Add to that hybrid or all electric and its worse still to repair. In many cases written off for a small shunt.

All very scary

As was iterated elsewhere today there is a very real argument for going old tech, big performance, but if people start understanding that rational in meaningful numbers then it will not be a cheap option for long.

Fir gods sake I could insure my wife with zero NCD on a SC430, or Jag Xk, both V8 for £250. Frankly, that makes nonsense of recent EV quotes for many people. Moreover, very little additional cost of depreciation.

Insurance companies being officious again - even an old Honda Jazz is uninsurable!  This bit is catalytic converter thefts not car thefts but it shows the Insurance companies attitude to customers. "Bit of a risk mate so get lost".

The insurer says although a Honda Jazz may not seem high risk, the number of claims for catalytic converter thefts has risen by 52% in the past three years. “We never want to leave our customers in the difficult situation of having to find alternative cover but these thefts are something we’ve been monitoring, and we must make difficult decisions to help keep the cost of insurance down.”

You know if this continues there may well be a case for the govt to just set up a Nationalised Insurance body that competes with the private sector forcing them to either accept risk ,or lose business to a taxpayer funded company that essentially defrays the losses back channel in the economic interests of the country. I bet Labour would love the idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spock66 said:

I think it likely that there will be a significant rise in uninsured drivers at this rate.

It has already started .....according the the MIB who sometimes pay out for uninsured driver losses.

Uninsured driving is expected to rise next year as cost-of-living pressures make it more likely that drivers will make the wrong decision to drive without insurance.

MIB (Motor Insurers’ Bureau), which supports victims of uninsured and hit-and-run driving, says it has helped around 30,000 people in 2023 – with the worst injured often needing care and treatment for the rest of their lives. 

One in Five Drivers in Central London are Uninsured

Although the City of London has the lowest number of uninsured drivers (only 1,026 since 2017), it’s place here is somewhat misleading. On the number of uninsured drivers as a proportion of each area’s driving population, the City of London is far and away the worst with a huge 19,207 uninsured drivers per 100,000 – equal to one in every five.

I’m quite amazed there are any private insurance drivers in the City of London …… where’s the housing for starters ? 
The City is banks and insurance coys and institutions surely …… Mansion House and Bank of England whatever !

Malc 

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

You know if this continues there may well be a case for the govt to just set up a Nationalised Insurance body that competes with the private sector forcing them to either accept risk ,or lose business to a taxpayer funded company that essentially defrays the losses back channel in the economic interests of the country. I bet Labour would love the idea.

Looking at India private car insce …….. every owner / driver pays an annual premium to the Govt …… some fund or other and I’m not readily aware of private insce options 

Thats maybe why in Delhi, you have a knock, stop, pick up the bit that’s fallen off, put it in the boot to get it fixed later ….. shout at somebody, calm down and drive away fuming 😂

Malc 

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

At that stage I bet all cars will have to have a black box fitted too. so "they" can spy on your driving habits and style. Then you'd be penalised for straying over the speed limit, braking to hard, short journeys (Green Tax) etc. etc. Even more monitoring and curbing your freedom of movement. 

Yes I heard that at the manufacturing stage the government will be looking at fitting chips into the car's ECU to monitor real time activity, plus an immobiliser function. Not a bad idea - bank robbers escaping police - police phone traffic control - turn off the ignition remotely - job done.

The next step is the big issue - fitting all people with a chip under the skin that will............. Doesn't bear even thinking about! There are even some folk who have done it voluntarily, they think it is just a security upgrade - poor fools.

My car is stupid I ilke it that way. The bike is even more stupid but I wonder if there is some hidden tech somewhere because it keeps trying to chuck me off it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BonzoSPB said:

I've had a chip inserted under skin for a few months now for monitoring and tracking purposes. So far th90o324-3,ldfm,d.f,df.d

Yes, I have been looking at your printout and I have to say you really must increase your alcohol level purely for medicinal purposes of course.

• Haha 2

I had a chip barm inserted into my body. Don't get excited it went via my mouth DOH!  It was lovely! I think it came out later though.😝

• Haha 1

On a similar sort of note ……. just had a reminder from HM Passport Office to renew my passport ……. Checking the photo requirements …… I’m sure I’ve read it right 

Go to Photo Booth choose “ digital photo “  keep reference, pop that on one’s online Application and it’s automatically picked up …… 

I haven’t done that yet ……

BUT this seems really “ Big Brother “ stuff …… NEXT might be ( or maybe is already ) DVLA , Blue Badge and I’m sure lots more Govt / Official applications …….. 

WORRYING maybe 🤔

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

On a similar sort of note ……. just had a reminder from HM Passport Office to renew my passport ……. Checking the photo requirements …… I’m sure I’ve read it right 

Go to Photo Booth choose “ digital photo “  keep reference, pop that on one’s online Application and it’s automatically picked up …… 

I haven’t done that yet ……

BUT this seems really “ Big Brother “ stuff …… NEXT might be ( or maybe is already ) DVLA , Blue Badge and I’m sure lots more Govt / Official applications …….. 

WORRYING maybe 🤔

Malc 

When I did that I was initially shocked to receive a rejection letter asking me to resubmit my photo signed by my GP.

Their reason was stated " we refuse to believe anyone your age could look so young and handsome. Any chance of a date" signed Marge in administration.

• Haha 3

It's amazing what you can do with Adobe Photoshop and AI.  I was lucky they just asked the undertaker to add a bit of colour to my cheeks. As you can see in my avatar on the left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GMB said:

It's amazing what you can do with Adobe Photoshop and AI.  I was lucky they just asked the undertaker to add a bit of colour to my cheeks. As you can see in my avatar on the left.

From the avatar I would have sworn you had been at the peyote again.

2 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

been at the peyote again

I prefer canaries or mice, better flavour and more fun catching them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hooray! - It's insurance renewal time.

Last year - £407. This year - £693.

I thought I'd try NFU as I've heard good things about it - £1600!

Are NXs being stolen left, right and centre? Have repair costs increased dramatically?

All motor insurance fees have risen. I paid £348 fully comp (enhanced cover) with max ncd last year. Expecting c£550 this year. Interestingly a new RX450h+ is coming in at only £6 more!?!

• Like 1

MY24 NX have the new security so insurance rates are down with the better companies. Earlier years and RX have gone up, particularly in London and SE where many are being stolen with both CANBUS and key cloning. DM reported Lexus as most stolen make so not surprising that insurance takes fright, particularly with the RX being most stolen car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links