Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

400h water in the battery £1800 to fix at Lexus

My rx 400h would not start i managed to get it to Lexus Chester they told me there water in the hybrid Battery and they need to change a rely switch which i will cost me at least £1800.

Can anyone help surly theres a cheaper way to fix this problem 

Mark Smith

It sounds like the HV contactors, basically heavy duty relays, seem to remember reading about them and how to repair somewhere.

It may be worth asking Hybrid Batteries Solutions who are on this forum.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-rx400h-phase-2-hybrid-battery-relay/

Could you confirm the year of your RX400h?

• Like 2

Similar happened to me. Got a POAA warning with a 3 character INI. Mine was an isolation warning due to HB getting soaked!!

I dried my car out – and I mean bone dry – under carpets etc etc! Then I sealed the seams and hinge areas. Then I unhooked the Battery. And lo and behold she started. I drove several miles and now keep several dehumidifier pots (silicate) in the storage area. Also removed some rubber bungs that impeded water exit under trunk area.

Try to get the codes first before spending any money.

This “relay switch” is located under the HV Battery and according to a YouTube video I’ve seen, access to it means removal of the rear seats and Battery. Hence Lexus labour cost of this work will be substantial.

This is the YouTube video I referred to above.  Access to the control unit only requires removal of the Battery cover, not the whole Battery.

Another RX400h video with power steering failure was diagnosed with a blown fuse located on the control unit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hiya, i also suffer with leaks into boot area, which needs lots of monitoring. Thanskfully it hasnt affected the Battery units, yet

I taped the joints in the panels, just under the roof bar, but water is still getting in. Does anyone else know the other likely spots where the water might get in? 

I leave rags in the rear boot wells to soak up the water, they need to be ringed out every 2 - 3 days, also depends on the weather at the time. 

I’d appreciate your thoughts and advice 

Thanks. 

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

You need someone in the boot with a torch and someone outside with a hose. With a leak as bad as yours you should be able to spot where it's coming in. It's unlikely to be the seams, more likely a rubber seal.

5 hours ago, JasonH said:

You need someone in the boot with a torch and someone outside with a hose. With a leak as bad as yours you should be able to spot where it's coming in. It's unlikely to be the seams, more likely a rubber seal.

thanks, jason 

I had the POA66 codes for wet Hybrid Battery. Dry it out. And I mean dry it out properly, bone dry.

LS-X trunk door hinges welds, seams, aerial area, roof rack plastic infill area.

Remove rubber bungs on metal floor behind Battery. The drainage is poor. Look for ingress too around lights clusters.

Plumber's LS-X good sealing stuff.

Clear codes with TIS.

The above happened to me. Thought the Battery was dead. Now fully recovered and car working like a beaut (126K miles). Had an industrial drier in the back of the car. Drier than a crisp after I'd finished.

Hi All

i had same code. Took it to Lexis to diagnose and they took back seats out. Said it was full of water. They have had it for four weeks and now say that it is beyond economical repair. It’s a 2008 RX 400 H I paid 6K . it’s in mint condition,  they want 12 K to repair it. They have stripped it down completely what do I do please help???. Any suggestions where I could take it ? 

IMG_0258.png

On 4/21/2024 at 12:24 PM, JasonH said:

Don't forget to let him out when you've finished.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links