Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rz 450e range and miles per kWh?

Hi, anyone able to share their stats from their RZ electric 450e please? 

I’m interested to know what realistic range you are getting in mild weather and cold weather and what miles per kWh you are getting please.

Any info would be appreciated, especially anyone with larger 20 inch wheels,  thanks 

What car just did a YouTube video testing the RZ til it ran out of juice, plus the UX electric and 10 other cars.

Both cars averaged 2.4 miles per kWh, the UX actually went 10 miles further.

• Thanks 1

Look at the other thread on here and see the actual miles achieved by owners, rather than critics. Particularly look at the range change after the update - they are significantly more than 2.4 and the review was possibly a pre-update car. 

• Thanks 1

Did a 100 mile trip from Bristol yesterday mainly motorway at a steady 60mph. 8 deg temperature and raining most of the way so wipers, ac and lights on.  Worked out at 2.9miles/kwh which I thought was good for this car in these conditions. On a previous trip from the Reading area a couple of weeks before in better conditions again mostly motorway I got 3.2miles/kwh.

Since the update I have also been getting up to 3.5miles/kwh from local driving which I got nowhere near before so overall pleased with the update which has made a significant difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Adams said:

Did a 100 mile trip from Bristol yesterday mainly motorway at a steady 60mph. 8 deg temperature and raining most of the way so wipers, ac and lights on.  Worked out at 2.9miles/kwh which I thought was good for this car in these conditions. On a previous trip from the Reading area a couple of weeks before in better conditions again mostly motorway I got 3.2miles/kwh.

Since the update I have also been getting up to 3.5miles/kwh from local driving which I got nowhere near before so overall pleased with the update which has made a significant difference.

These are good news.

If one buys a used one ( there is a 23 plate Premium plus for 45K on autotrader for instance), I expect we can just request the update from any Lexus dealer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Adams said:

Your figures seem to be pretty good. I was hoping you would say more than 2.5 kWh, so your results are good for a big ev. Is this your first ev and are you pleased overall with your Lexus? 

2 hours ago, talaipwros said:

These are good news.

If one buys a used one ( there is a 23 plate Premium plus for 45K on autotrader for instance), I expect we can just request the update from any Lexus dealer?

Any decent dealer would install it prior to sale. You can easily tell by the Battery state having a % in the display - pre-update this was not available. I am sure the update isn’t a recall as it isn’t a safety issue. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

You can easily tell by the battery state having a % in the display - pre-update this was not available.

Great tip!

edit: Just checked a few on autotrader, none of them has the updated  software ( as in none shows percentage, only miles left)

13 hours ago, Blancy1 said:

Is this your first ev and are you pleased overall with your Lexus? 

Yes, first ev. Am I pleased with my Lexus?. Short answer is no for many reasons I won't go into here but my previous posts highlight some of the issues. Suffice to say  Lexus should never have put this car on sale with the numerous issues it has had. The software update has made a significant improvement which they could have done last April and would probably have made a difference to my view.

Oh no! That’s not good at all.. I had a Lexus NX hybrid previously, good car but was frustrated it couldn’t do more on ev mode. I am looking at buying my second ev as I currently drive an Audi Etron 50, now rebranded Q8 Etron.  Efficiency is poor due to being a very heavy, large suv but a great car with high spec and never had any problems at all. It’s heavier than the RZ and 21 inch wheels, so that doesn’t help with efficiency. The best mileage I’ve had on a full charge in good sunny weather, is 180 miles. So quite similar to your RZ before the update. I’ve just read some of your previous posts, so I understand now why you aren’t too pleased with your RZ. I would like a car to do 200 miles without a charge if possible, so the RZ takumi is on that edge. I prefer the takumi as it has the front and rear dampers, so you’ve got me thinking.. is it for me? 

Kevin. Thorough test but pre-update - check the dash. John & I have been getting far far better figures. What Car are a very reputable testing house but for some reason they and most other tests result in far worse figures than those actually experienced. You’ll see from earlier posts that post-update 200+ real miles are easily achievable and efficiency upwards of 2.9 miles / kw. Comparing a BYD with a Lexus is like comparing a Dacia with a Lexus !
Look at the difference in claimed efficiency and actual at the end of the video and you’ll see even pre-update Lexus’s actual is better than claimed.
I totally agree with John that the RZ was marketed far too early - they have totally blundered as all the reviews are for cars pre-update and the car shouldn’t have been released without it. Now the drop for heating is significantly less and use of the radiant heaters means ‘UK winter running’ is not an issue. 
Do I regret buying the RZ - yes. Am I happier since the update  - far happier. With what has happened to EV residuals, would have I been happier with a different EV - no !

Lexus will be in a very difficult place this year as they have to achieve 20% of all sales being full EV, every car sold below that accrues a £ 15k fine - one of the main reasons in the drop in RV’s is manufacturers will reduce prices to sell rather than pay a fine to achieve nothing. There is no hope of Lexus getting anywhere near 20%. We have been totally misled by the government into buying EV’s as they then changed the rules by removing the 2030 ban at the same time as levying fines - total idiocy 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

Kevin. Thorough test but pre-update - check the dash. John & I have been getting far far better figures. What Car are a very reputable testing house but for some reason they and most other tests result in far worse figures than those actually experienced. You’ll see from earlier posts that post-update 200+ real miles are easily achievable and efficiency upwards of 2.9 miles / kw. Comparing a BYD with a Lexus is like comparing a Dacia with a Lexus !
Look at the difference in claimed efficiency and actual at the end of the video and you’ll see even pre-update Lexus’s actual is better than claimed.
I totally agree with John that the RZ was marketed far too early - they have totally blundered as all the reviews are for cars pre-update and the car shouldn’t have been released without it. Now the drop for heating is significantly less and use of the radiant heaters means ‘UK winter running’ is not an issue. 
Do I regret buying the RZ - yes. Am I happier since the update  - far happier. With what has happened to EV residuals, would have I been happier with a different EV - no !

Lexus will be in a very difficult place this year as they have to achieve 20% of all sales being full EV, every car sold below that accrues a £ 15k fine - one of the main reasons in the drop in RV’s is manufacturers will reduce prices to sell rather than pay a fine to achieve nothing. There is no hope of Lexus getting anywhere near 20%. We have been totally misled by the government into buying EV’s as they then changed the rules by removing the 2030 ban at the same time as levying fines - total idiocy 

I’m glad you are happier with the range since the update but is it enough? It’s a shame all the reviews are before the update as this will have an impact on sales.  I love ev’s, quieter, less maintenance costs, etc, but there still isn’t the ev following in the UK that is needed as most drivers unless business drivers are reluctant to change. The residual values are poor because unlike us, no one wants to buy one. This will change over time I’m sure, but I feel I can’t go back to an ICE car now I’ve driven  electric for 4 years, as that is a step backwards. The Lexus RZ is a lovely good spec car, other premium brands have a lot to compete with. Will I buy one? Hmmmmm, not sure? 

19 minutes ago, Blancy1 said:

I’m glad you are happier with the range since the update but is it enough? It’s a shame all the reviews are before the update as this will have an impact on sales.  I love ev’s, quieter, less maintenance costs, etc, but there still isn’t the ev following in the UK that is needed as most drivers unless business drivers are reluctant to change. The residual values are poor because unlike us, no one wants to buy one. This will change over time I’m sure, but I feel I can’t go back to an ICE car now I’ve driven  electric for 4 years, as that is a step backwards. The Lexus RZ is a lovely good spec car, other premium brands have a lot to compete with. Will I buy one? Hmmmmm, not sure? 

If you can get one with a huge discount it's a no brainer. But do not pay list price or anywhere near that.

• Like 4

Absolutely! Some Lexus dealers doing very good deals and offering more discount than other carwow dealers. I’ve used carwow for years and it gives me a good benchmark as to how much dealers have to play with on discounts. Most car manufacturers are doing good ev deals at the moment, they need to get their March numbers up, so deals are not bad.

• Like 2

List price on any ‘prestige’ EV is a definite no no. I’ll repeat though that I’m not as depressed as I might have been as I got a ridiculous px for my Velar. If I’d kept the Velar I would have lost about the same as the RZ has melted ! I was offered a factory ordered RX450h £ 15k below list so it’s not only EV’s apparently. 
with EV’s I think you need to be clear about what you really need. Range and charging but nothing else, Tesla are unbeatable, reliability and good range the Koreans, comfort, well finished but mediocre range Lexus, old Battery tech and mediocre and misleading range the Germans. 
I see loads of articles about charging and a lot of them are totally misleading. Doing down a car with 150kw capacity against say 250kw really only means about 10 mins for 20% to 80% and is that a big deal for occasional public charging. Maybe for a road warrior and thus a Tesla but a concern for a luxury SUV, probably not. 
I think that Lexus US provides proof of the market for the RZ - they provide an ICE car of choice free for 30 days over 3 years for road trips, shame they didn’t provide it here. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tickedon said:

As am I. Also interesting to see the difference (or not) a heat pump made for the ID.7!

image.thumb.png.8f87f199606caf9be344e240716c3f50.png
image.thumb.png.9f5afc93c993bc13d286dcd8f6eb8f24.png

It wasn’t that cold that day, but if it was I’m sure the difference would be a significant difference. I would have like to have seen the test done at lower temps. 

9 minutes ago, Blancy1 said:

It wasn’t that cold that day, but if it was I’m sure the difference would be a significant difference. I would have like to have seen the test done at lower temps. 

I am really glad we don’t get real low / well below freezing temperatures - this article reports the real effect on a Tesla Long Range - https://www.hotcars.com/how-winter-weather-shortens-range-tesla-model-3/

• Like 1

I agree if you can get a great deal, it's worth going for it. The prices for nearly new, very low mileage (perhaps pre-reg) RZ's at some dealers seem very good. Some brokers are discounting the UXe by around 30% but am not sure if that level of discounting applies to the RZ. Bob is right that Lexus are in a difficult place with EV sales- I'd imagine there will be bigger incentives as the year progresses. Perhaps the rumoured reduction in the VAT rate to 10% on new EV's in next weeks Budget will help to increase demand.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chris UXe said:

I agree if you can get a great deal, it's worth going for it. The prices for nearly new, very low mileage (perhaps pre-reg) RZ's at some dealers seem very good. Some brokers are discounting the UXe by around 30% but am not sure if that level of discounting applies to the RZ. Bob is right that Lexus are in a difficult place with EV sales- I'd imagine there will be bigger incentives as the year progresses. Perhaps the rumoured reduction in the VAT rate to 10% on new EV's in next weeks Budget will help to increase demand.   

I would be amazed if they lower the VAT rate to 10% on new ev's but you never know.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Adams said:

I would be amazed if they lower the VAT rate to 10% on new ev's but you never know.

Indeed. They have been removing incentives over the last few years.

• Like 3

Please please think of us poor souls that bought - the market is floored and more incentives on new ones will only kill it even more !

Seriously, where will this all end - the big manufacturers will just stop competing in markets with fines and disincentives and the Chinese will then just dump substandard cheap cars (even after paying levies) as they control the cost of batteries and other EV components. Once they have the market, they will turn the screw and as they are really the Chinese government it will set the agenda.

The Chinese importers have no fear of the fines as they easily beat the 20% threshold as they are mostly bringing in only EV’s.  You couldn’t have designed a more Chinese favourable regime if you had tried. The US has a far more sensible approach, they incentivise US manufacturers with subsidies for US sourced parts and gives credits on EV’s off personal tax, not the cost of the car. Lexus US will reduce the lease cost as they offset the tax saving, not by reducing the cost of the car - you have to be a tax payer to receive the subsidy. We just lump on fines and remove incentives - there are London Boroughs ramping up parking according to weight and as EV’s inevitably weigh more, they will pay more !

Governmental rant over - apologies for disturbing the peace on a Sunday

• Like 3

Rachel,  I agree with John. Buying one of the used RZ’s with the update and a huge discount is a no brainer…! I see that Lexus Scotland have a few in the £40,000’s… You should get some more discount…! I have bought several cars from Eastern Western in Scotland. Two Mercedes, three BMW’s, and my Lexus LC500 Convertible were delivered to me to Cornwall from Scotland… I didn’t view any of them before I paid for them… I just got photos and videos... I did have a £5k deposit with them for an RZ in September 2022. I got my deposit back because my wife unfortunately can’t come out with me unless we use our VW Caddy WAV. If I could take my wife out in another vehicle. It would be one of the current used RZ’s. And I would have one in my garage…

I regularly read posts on the Lexus Owner’s Forum… And from what I have read. The update has sorted the range issue for the various owners…

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links