Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Self fitted theft deterrent.

In the light of all the worries about Lexus RX theft, has any bright spark on this forum come up with any ideas on fitting a hidden switch to disable the car starting? Bit like the switch I fitted to my Ford Thames 100E van about 63 years ago, which cut the supply to the distributor contacts. Yes, I know my RX450h+ is a slightly different beast!

Tom

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom, said:

In the light of all the worries about Lexus RX theft, has any bright spark on this forum come up with any ideas on fitting a hidden switch to disable the car starting? Bit like the switch I fitted to my Ford Thames 100E van about 63 years ago, which cut the supply to the distributor contacts. Yes, I know my RX450h+ is a slightly different beast!

Tom

The canbus theft doesn't affect the new gen RX. Just leave the keys in a metal tin or Faraday pouch

• Like 2

Hi Tom

I had a Ford Thames 15cwt van as my first vehicle in 1969.  Registration NME208.  Nicknamed Brian after the snail in the Magic Roundabout.  Wonderful memories.  Taught me an awful lot about driving and maintenance and repairs.  Bought for £60.  Did over 100,000 miles in it including 2 round Europe trips.  Sold it nearly 5 years later without an MOT for £45.  Happy days!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

The canbus theft doesn't affect the new gen RX. Just leave the keys in a metal tin or Faraday pouch

I have read that leaving the keys in the microwave is also effective.

30 minutes ago, Tomtit said:

I have read that leaving the keys in the microwave is also effective.

As long as you don't turn it on otherwise sparks might fly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/21/2024 at 7:23 PM, Tom, said:

Tom

You can't start most modern cars without the brake light switch working - that's a very easy DIY option. There's also the fuel pump relay if it's not a hybrid. Even the gear selector is electronic - cutting the earth feed to that would stop the car driving.

• Like 1

You can install a switch that will cut off power to the fuel pump and the engine will not be able to start.
or install a switch that will shut down the vehicle's major electrical systems or even the vehicle's ECU (electronic control unit), making it impossible to start.
Another idea is to install a hidden switch that will control the power to the starter and the engine will not start.

1 hour ago, JN88 said:

You can install a switch that will cut off power to the fuel pump and the engine will not be able to start.

Exactly so!  And it has the advantage that it doesn’t affect any of the other electrical settings.  Better still, the engine will turn over - but it won’t fire up!  Which means Chummy has to sit there wondering what the problem is? 

Short of calling out the AA, they’ll walk away rather than be caught in the car.,

Here’s a link to a good installation which also demonstrates a neat place to locate the switch.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:40 AM, JBPRX400h said:

Hi Tom

I had a Ford Thames 15cwt van as my first vehicle in 1969.  Registration NME208.  Nicknamed Brian after the snail in the Magic Roundabout.  Wonderful memories.  Taught me an awful lot about driving and maintenance and repairs.  Bought for £60.  Did over 100,000 miles in it including 2 round Europe trips.  Sold it nearly 5 years later without an MOT for £45.  Happy days!!!

When I were a lad............ our family drove to Yugoslavia and back in a Ford Thames 15cwt ex-Rediffusion van with bus seats in the back and a home made roofrack!

Happy Days Indeed!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links