Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 Gamble

2Tanks

Paul had seen it once before, he said. He was pretty confident on the phone prior, that this may be the issue. 
I guess it is a tricky manoeuvre to crush the tensioner in the vice, insert the pin, bolt it into position and then pull the pin. 
He adjusted for 2 teeth, but after rotating through 2 cycles the marks were still 1 tooth off, so the routine happened twice. He loosened the bank 1 cap so he could see the marks between the halves. Great knowledge. 

Apart from a thorough checkover, Paul also adjusted the parking brakes and linkage, pads and discs ok for at least 12 months  

There was one code remaining, a B1248 LAN issue, but this due to the fact that the radio was in my workshop at home🥴

A few computer tweaks were also done. 
Windscreen nozzles cleared and aimed. 
Window operation on key fob  

Auto rain sensors set wipers to intermittent when car stationary.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 2Tanks said:

Passed the MOT this morning. No advisories 😊

Excellent news…not the lemon you first thought then ! 👏🏻👏🏻

On 4/24/2024 at 4:38 PM, Bob King said:

Excellent news…not the lemon you first thought then ! 👏🏻👏🏻

Well it appears not.
There is a noted advisory "poss thermostat leaking coolant".
Toyota coolant is red/pink, and there is some old staining in the water pump area. Having seen the Car Care video of the water pump replacement, there's not a lot you can do about an overflow when removing it.
I'll keep my eye on it.

EML - Timing belt issue fixed
VSC - Reset yaw sensor
Coolant levels, Oil levels etc all good
Running bulb replacement (whilst inspecting brakes)
Parking Brake adjusted at hub (24 clicks) and pedal
My choice of Lexus secret behaviours
Thorough visual inspection of brakes and suspension
No codes.
Paul at ToyotaTech Guilford 5*+ (he's booked up until mid June)
Total cost less than 2 hours labour.

To do:

Tighten roof latches to lessen bumps and creaks.

In adding the in-line fuse holder to the radio system, I appear to have resolved the 5A pcb fuse issue, so maybe it was a simple dry joint. I have been in there so many times now it holds no mysteries. The rear seat speaker is underwhelming but overall sound is exceptional.
The "secret" switch in the armrest is bypassed currently. It probably requires something of better quality. It is 12v rated but has 3 pins. There is an LED which oscillates dimly when in circuit. Every time I use the switch I need to recycle the ignition for the system to wake up. It is probably too clever and reacts to increased resistance or voltage drop. I'll research it more as I hear the CD stacker travelling even without the ignition key in place, so it must add to parasitic drain. Re-load the extending aerial. It sticks up around 1" which obviously allows fod and water ingress 24/7...

Cosmetically she's in good shape. I do need the passenger triangular sweeping panel adjacent the parcel shelf (maybe both would make sense). Front drivers reflector is cracked and needs replacing.
I removed the rear lamps to clean any gutter debris behind them and the drivers side fixing is a rusty bolt without a cover, definitely a replacement.
The drivers door threshold panel is also unsightly with a big scuff mark across the illuminated Lexus logo. All seats could do with some colour, particularly the flat seat sections, front and back. Whether this is dull due to sun bleach or water I don't know. I have some leather feed from Halfords, but it is clear and I have no experience of its effectiveness.
I do have some LiquiMoly Gummi-pflege so will treat all the rubber seals once the rain subsides.

Can't wait to get some miles under the belt :driving:

• Like 1

Still many questions…

I found these luggage loops in the tool wrap earlier.
IMG_0633.thumb.jpeg.644fed575c181db0a05a2cc9bcf2b50f.jpeg

Am I right in thinking they just span the rearmost section? X marks the spots 

IMG_0635.thumb.jpeg.e32efb3b2815dfae6e3a6ba4d4ab0ac9.jpeg

Is the cranked Allen key here for the roof front latch override?

Can you reveal what is supposed to fill this narrow slot in the tool tray please? A pen? Torch?

IMG_0636.thumb.jpeg.d48af144ec4ca211cd57cd90d499a7b0.jpeg

I took a 20 mile run out today, which leads me to think the binnacle illuminations may be faulty, mind you I’m used to the LS400 which are very bright and crisp. 

Thanks again for all the pointers. 

1 hour ago, 2Tanks said:

Still many questions…

I found these luggage loops in the tool wrap earlier.
IMG_0633.thumb.jpeg.644fed575c181db0a05a2cc9bcf2b50f.jpeg

Am I right in thinking they just span the rearmost section? X marks the spots 

IMG_0635.thumb.jpeg.e32efb3b2815dfae6e3a6ba4d4ab0ac9.jpeg

Is the cranked Allen key here for the roof front latch override?

Can you reveal what is supposed to fill this narrow slot in the tool tray please? A pen? Torch?

IMG_0636.thumb.jpeg.d48af144ec4ca211cd57cd90d499a7b0.jpeg

I took a 20 mile run out today, which leads me to think the binnacle illuminations may be faulty, mind you I’m used to the LS400 which are very bright and crisp. 

Thanks again for all the pointers. 

Two of the rings go here as in the photo and the other two go opposite on the back panel behind where a spare wheel would go.

IMG_5021.thumb.jpeg.2bb5484fb59ad32c8e3a3e57d08cd7c8.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Two of the rings go here as in the photo and the other two go opposite on the back panel behind where a spare wheel would go.

IMG_5021.thumb.jpeg.2bb5484fb59ad32c8e3a3e57d08cd7c8.jpeg

Some more photos

IMG_6801.thumb.jpeg.3121ee3f517f4624bada37ecbac56d56.jpeg

IMG_6797.thumb.jpeg.b1ee5e12d84638e605436c42fcdd8c12.jpeg

IMG_6798.thumb.jpeg.1f5848503cf7975b3d43ccb15161118a.jpeg

IMG_6799.thumb.jpeg.3069323dd735563b42bce848bd09ba8c.jpeg

I’m getting there.

The stereo certainly runs down the Battery quick. I left the radio on for maybe an hour whilst fettling other things before the Battery died again!

I wonder what other owners have done regarding the tyre puncture kit? Mine has a Dunlop Reifenpannen-Soforthilfe-System brochure. It has been deployed some years back it would seem.

IMG_0656.thumb.jpeg.bf26e316e64f42caec451a0365834ac9.jpeg

I’ve managed to lessen the roof knocking a bit although I’m quite concerned at how much I’m adjusting the stop. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links