Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Much Is A 3 Year Old Is200 Worth?

Fmrl

I just had a look at a valuation for my car on the Parkers website...

Lexus IS200 SE 51 plate (2001) - Dealer retail £12270

That's a depreciation of 3k in 8 months! :crying::crybaby::ohmy:

I thought Lexus were supposed to hold their value. Is the Parkers website correct? The private and trade-in values are even lower (just over 10k for a part-ex).

I was wondering about getting an IS300 next and assuming mine would still be worth around 13 or 14k as a trade in... I guess I need to have a rethink about my finances.

What's more worrying is how much an IS300 would depreciate as well.

I just had a look at a valuation for my car on the Parkers website...

Lexus IS200 SE 51 plate (2001) - Dealer retail £12270

That's a depreciation of 3k in 8 months! :crying:  :crybaby:  :ohmy:

I thought Lexus were supposed to hold their value. Is the Parkers website correct? The private and trade-in values are even lower (just over 10k for a part-ex).

I was wondering about getting an IS300 next and assuming mine would still be worth around 13 or 14k as a trade in... I guess I need to have a rethink about my finances.

What's more worrying is how much an IS300 would depreciate as well.

If it makes you feel any better, I got £8K for my 2001 (51) 200SE when I traded it for an IS300 a few weeks ago - it had done 75K miles though which is what hurt the value most.

Unfortunate fact of life that you will get shafted, especially at the dealer.

That's a shame. If that happens when I am looking to trade my IS in 18 months time I think it'll make me look at other makes.

I wouldn't make the mistake of trading my IS in for another warp drive depreciation Lexus!

I'm loyal to the brand, but getting shafted at the dealer would put me off buying another Lexus. I'd check out other makes and their depreciation levels first I think...

That's a shame.  If that happens when I am looking to trade my IS in 18 months time I think it'll make me look at other makes.

I wouldn't make the mistake of trading my IS in for another warp drive depreciation Lexus! 

I'm loyal to the brand, but getting shafted at the dealer would put me off buying another Lexus.  I'd check out other makes and their depreciation levels first I think...

My comments weren't targeted at Lexus particularly - I think the IS does hold it's value quite well (relatively).

I just meant that, except for a few special cases, you WILL lose a lot of cash when you change, more so if you sell into the trade no matter who the dealer is.

I got offered the same sort of money at other-brand dealers, and it tied in with independent valuations based on age/condition/mileage, so it was what I expected.

The IS300 is a year old, so at least somebody else has already taken the biggest hit in depreciation for me.

If it makes you feel any better, I got £8K for my 2001 (51) 200SE when I traded it for an IS300 a few weeks ago - it had done 75K miles though which is what hurt the value most.

£8k?!!!!!! :o :crying: :o :crying: :o :crying:

If a dealer offered me that I'd feel like I'd been mugged!

Or did they give you a huge discount on the IS300?

When I bought my IS200 back in March I was hoping it would hold it's value really well. At one point I was thinking of actually buying an IS300 but I was put off because I got the impression that they depreciated really quickly.

I guess another Lexus is off the menu, I'm just deciding now whether to change cars now or wait until next year (when my IS will be worth even less!!).

Have a look at the used cars on the Lexus site, may make you feel a bit better when you see what they are going for there.

I paid £9750 for a Y plate IS200 Sport with FLSH and 79k on the clock from a private dealer in September. Was looking at Parkers online today and its giving me a private sale figure of £7800 (84k on the clock now). Not ideal!

To my amazement, Lexus Coventry are advertising a V plate Sport with 86k on the clock (same colour, black, aswell) for £12,500. Are they having a laugh?!!

Im sure I would get more than £7,800 in a private sale. Dont really trust the parkers figure.

Any thoughts?

One thing you are all forgetting is that it's not us big bad dealers who set prices for cars; it's you, the consumer.

If I have a car that’s not selling, I have to reduce the price until it sells; the next car that comes along is then bought accordingly.

If there are more customers than cars the price stays high, the other way round and the prices must drop. I see conversations here about people pushing dealer discounts on RX to the limits by playing one off against another; will these be the same people complaining about depreciation in the future?

The next step is all the guides reflecting this behaviour.

In my opinion, what effects the price of IS most at the moment is the over supply of its competitors. BMW and M-B are pumping out new 3’s and C’s like there’s no tomorrow, this reduces their residuals and pulls IS down with them.

The fact of the matter is, 3 year depreciation from new (spec adjusted) of the IS, is the best in it’s class.

£8k?!!!!!!  :o  :crying:  :o  :crying:  :o  :crying:

If a dealer offered me that I'd feel like I'd been mugged!

Or did they give you a huge discount on the IS300?

Like I said, that seemed to be the going rate - the car market is just like that.

Some valuations were under £7K for my 200. I had to haggle a bit to get UP to £8K :excl:

The 300 was over £7K under list and whoever sold it would have probably got £1500 less than I paid - at 9000 miles and less than a year old, that's quite scary.

One thing you are all forgetting is that it's not us big bad dealers who set prices for cars; it's you, the consumer.

I accept it's the way it is. Not happy to lose so much (obviously) but I'm not bitching about it.

This time I've bought used and will probably keep longer than 3 years, so hopefully it'll be less painful next time :blink:

Anyway, it's not particularly about the money, it's about the :driving: :D

so wots a fair price to ask for my september 52 plate IS200 SE blue wit cream interior wit dvd sat nav and jus under 21350miles on it?

guess gonna take big hit on this from wot i paid

Parkers say between 13830 (private) and 12595 (part-ex)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links