Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got a registered delivery letter yesterday (Sat) telling me my RX300 needs a visit to the dealer re a brake light issue. Apparently the brake lights may fail to activate although "no cases in the UK have been known". A new switch needs to be fitted. Mine is an 04 SE (Aug). Wondered if anybody else got one?

I have a June 03 SEL and have had no communications regarding a recall as yet. But I am visiting my dealer this week to test drive an LS430 (just thought I would slip that in) so I will tke the opportunity to ask. :D

I thought I would try and clarify the details on this recall.

The campaign itself concerns 5937 RX300s which may experience a problem with the stop lamp switch. It appears that an internal electrical resistance may be generated and as a consequence, the stop lamps may cease to function. However, I should stress that Lexus in Europe has not experienced such failures but they have taken the decision to take a preventative approach to this issue which I trust you will understand.

Taking this step demonstrates Toyota Motor Corporations’s positive approach to such matters, wishing to address problems even though they may not have occurred in our own market. I am sure you will agree that this, once again, demonstrate to you the brand’s reputation for excellent customer service.

Some FAQ's

Q: What is the condition?

A:, there is a possibility that oxide may be generated on the surface of the point of contact and contact resistance could increase. Consequently current may not flow at the contact, causing the stop lamp to become inoperative.

Q: What is the cause of this condition?

A: In the stop lamp switch of the subject vehicles equipped with stop lamps using light emitting diode (LED), the shape of the point of contact in the switch is improper against the electrical load

Q: How many cases have been reported?

A: So far there have been no reported cases.

Q: Are there any warnings that this condition has occurred?

A: The brake lights may not work properly

Q: Have there been any reports of accidents?

A: There have been no reports of any accidents.

Q: What is Lexus going to do?

A: Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a campaign notification by first class mail from December 2004. Lexus Centres will replace the Stop Lamp Switch with an improved one. The replacement will be performed at no cost to vehicle owners.

Q: How long will the repair take?

A: The repair will take approximately one hour. However, it may be necessary for the owner to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time depending upon the dealer’s schedule.

Q: Does this condition affect other Lexus/Toyota models?

A: Only the Lexus RX300 and Toyota Prius are equipped with particular Light Emitting Diode (LED) rear combination lamp.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the extra info Ian. I for one am happy with the care and attention taken by Lexus on this issue. Good to know that a vehicle manufacturer really cares about after sales service, and does not just pay lip service until they bank your cheque.

Got my letter Friday. Rang my supplying dealership in London but as I live in B'ham will use local dealer for repair. Mopst helpfull, but London Dealer did say ensure fitting dealer gives you bottle champagne & petrol free as part of recall. anyone else know about this?

I was delighted when I went to pick up my May 03 RX300 SE from Lexus Chester last Friday.Not only had they carried out the requested body work on'supermarket scrapes' they had also touched up some unnoticed marks,replaced the pitted alloy wheels under warranty,replaced the brake light switch,refilled the fuel tank and provided a bottle of champagne.I returned home to be given the registered letter about the brake light recall,pleased the modification had been completed already!Once again I have been really impressed with the high standard of customer care from Lexus Chester.

Incidentally this vehicle was subject to a recall for an exhaust catalyst modification and on that occasion the vehicle was returned with a refilled tank and complimentary bottle of wine.At this rate I may never have to visit on off licence again!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links