Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs430 Ride Quality

keithringshaw

I have recently purchased a 2001 GS430 (not the Sport) having fallen in love with Lexus engineering and the car's fabulous engine. In fact I love everything about the car except one thing. The ride quality. I read the reviews before even looking for a 430 and knew that it won't match a Merc or Bemmer. Unsettled would be the best way to describe it. Like a proverbial `cat on a hot tin roof', the car just jumps around over our considerably less than smooth British roads.

The dealer has had it in under warranty and agreed that the front shocks were faulty. This at only 30K miles. So these were replaced and have made a bit of difference, but to my mind ride quality is still very poor.

I have assumed that the setup for the States would be softer, and so was wondering whether it would be possible to replace the shocks with those for the USA market.

Any thoughts or advice very welcome. TIA

I am interested and no expert. But when you say Jumps around what exactly do you mean. The Mercs are much heavier cars remember. 300 Mk2 is solid no matter what the tyre pressure. And also which Merc or Bmr are you making the comparison with. I have driven many Mercs but less experience of Bmrs. I think your problems must contribute to the ride. Finally the Germans will be always solid in terms of shear weight in my view which contributes to the ride. I thought the 430 was a simply a big 300. You know better.

After decades of E-Class driving to begin with I dont think I would like to compare the GS with the E-Class anyway. The GS is defnitely more classy, refined and drives much better overall and has a better spec. The GS design is more of a Coupe with 4-door saloon features and it is a GS sports saloon. So I want to compare it with the CLK Mercs. Even though the CLK is a true coupe. For these reasons the CLK 320 offered a heavier and firmer ride some months before I got my 300. Even though the GS is heavier in weight than the CLK. It must therefore be to do with the set up. In the US bigger cars such as the Lincoln Town car move like as if on springs the suspension is so soft and light. Coupes and sports cars offer a firmer ride for safety but with the GS I thing it has both.

Incidentally, just forgot to mention that the CLK was a badged AMG and had the 19"AMG alloys which made the ride probably more firmer. Although I am not fully sure what bigger alloys do to the ride. The tyre width surely must have an affect on the ride also. My first own car not so long ago in 1995 was the Fiat X/19 Bertone. I loved it. Wish I still had ! It did eat up the Pirellie rubbers every 6 months. The GS is slightly more comfortable though.

• 3 years later...
The US setup would probably make it even worse.

Where in the UK are you? It would be worth having a proper wheel alignment done, if you are near Watford then there is a place that comes recommended.

Interested in your recommendation, as I live in Harrow. I've had my wheel alignment done twice, and although the car tracks straight, the steering is always just off centre - really annoying :crybaby:

well i have a good comparison at the moment for the situation your in..

My GS300 was taken in for some bodywork after some idiot of a lady used my door as a door stop for her almera!!!!

I was given a 07 plate E280 estate with all the bells and whistles... and to be honest.. thats about as much use as they have been so far.. just making noise.

I absolutely hate the car.. it makes me feel motion sick (something no car has ever done before) its non linear with its steering and braking as each setting (C-M-S) has its own characteristic on the steering, suspension, braking and acceleration.

In a week the steering column keeps falling down on me not to mention the seats, driving position lack of adjustment and bad handling... as well as making me feel like im driving an arcade game due to no physical imput because of all the electrical goodies taking care of steering etc..

I cant wait to get my lexus back.. and because they still havent assesed my car and i have the serious pox with the merc they are swapping it for a CLK 280.. .so that may be a little better.. but i want my car back without a doubt.

Admittedly i have the sport.. .but it does better on fuel than the merc diesel does!! i can get 30mpg regulary at 80-85mph.. the merc does 26-28 on a good day!

In the end.. im not sure where you are coming from with regards to the handling.. i can only assume other than a geometry problem that it could also be a tyre choice... my car came with Run flat tyres that it wasnt suppsoed to.. this contributed to a lot of uncomfort and noise. have them checked

• 6 months later...

Hello everybody

I own a 2002 GS 430, with 55.000 miles on the clok. I owned a GS300 before.The GS 430 is becoming a very

quaint car. Irritating. Driven at speed, up to 90 mph, it holds the road

reasonably well , as might be expected, but the steering is too vague and

lacks in sharpness.

Over 90 mph, let us say at 110 mph, the steering lacks precision, the car

seems twitchy , ESP kicks in ( on dry , straight , even roads), braking the

car, and it does not follow a straight track. With moderate wind, it veers

off and shudders, struggling to cope. Tha car suffers from torque steer, as

if the steering can not cope with all the power . I experienced something

similar with another previous car, a rear wheel drive 1986 204 bhp Ford

Sierra Cosworth .

Tyres are fine, camber and caster are fine, there is no imbalance on

either axle. The wheels have been aligned.It has standard Lexus-recommended 235 ZR, s. My dealer is

unhelpful. And this is not about speed, but about roadholding and composure .

Mercedes and BMW´s pass me with infuriating ease at 120 mph, while I am

struggling to keep the damned car on the road. This was made to be an

executive car, with a big engine. So are Mercedes and Audis. And before you

jump to any conclusions on my driving abilities, I have over one million

miles ( 1.600.000 kilometers) under my belt, mostly on fast cars.

My GS 300 was fetter better composed, precise and predictable than this.It

is sorely missed.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? Why is the steering so dead?

. My own brother, with a 2006 GS 300 , complains of the same thing.

Thanks for your time and interest.

I have recently purchased a 2001 GS430 (not the Sport) having fallen in love with Lexus engineering and the car's fabulous engine. In fact I love everything about the car except one thing. The ride quality. I read the reviews before even looking for a 430 and knew that it won't match a Merc or Bemmer. Unsettled would be the best way to describe it. Like a proverbial `cat on a hot tin roof', the car just jumps around over our considerably less than smooth British roads.

The dealer has had it in under warranty and agreed that the front shocks were faulty. This at only 30K miles. So these were replaced and have made a bit of difference, but to my mind ride quality is still very poor.

I have assumed that the setup for the States would be softer, and so was wondering whether it would be possible to replace the shocks with those for the USA market.

Any thoughts or advice very welcome. TIA

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to everyone this is a very intruging discussing and very intresting to see the different opinions from some of you. I feel im in a good postion to offer my 2 pence worth ,after owning a 2000 bmw 740 for five years i have know replaced it with a 2003 gs430 sport now i do a lot of motorway miles, for the last two years ive been travelling up and down to leicester every weekend which i have now started to do in the gs and i have to say it aint far of the beamer. Yes its a bit more skittish but its holds the road nicely , was doing 120 in it on sunday comming back and you could hold the steering wheel with one hand ( not recommended though). Yes the bmw was a better motorway cruiser but again its about half ton heavier so it should be and overall it felt more solid and sure footed but over the last few weeks the gs has proved to a good replacement we shall see how it carries on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links