Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Flapping Sound In The Roof?

Anyone got this annoying problem?:

On roads that are slightly bumpy, I can hear an annoying flapping sound (like a piece of loose board bouncing up and down) in the roof of my IS. It sounds like its coming from inside the roof trim in the section behind the trailing edge of the sunroof. Anyone got any ideas about what can be loose? what can be causing the sound?

Thanks.

My moon roof makes a buzzing noise at  70mph or when a big lorry passes by in the opposite direction at lower speeds. :rolleyes:

:cat:

you're kidding! ... :blink: .... that means u hear that buzzin sound very often!? i mean (114km/hr .. thats regular highway speed).

You can put up with that?

Its really quite annoying , cos just regular driving on roads. . .causes the flappin noise to happen. Its quite embarassing when others are in my car. .... hehehe ... cos i've been preachin how good quality lexus is!

if it is your sunroof - ( to test just press against it when u get the sound) to help stop the sound get some SILICONE grease and put a tiny abount on the sunroof seals.

DO NOT USE normal grease as this will destroy the rubber seals

if it is your sunroof - ( to test just press against it when u get the sound) to help stop the sound get some SILICONE grease and put a tiny abount on the sunroof seals.

DO NOT USE  normal grease as this will destroy the rubber seals

Any ideas as to what could be loose if its not my sunroof? ..... it flappin sound comes from behind the trailin edge of the sunroof. If i push against the roof lining, the sound goes away, i know something is loose within the roof and the lining, I just can't figure out what could be in there.

I have the same thing in my GS a very annoying rattle, and I cannot work out where the noise is coming from but pressing on the dome light seems to shut mine up. most annoying

I have the same thing in my GS a very annoying rattle, and I cannot work out where the noise is coming from but pressing on the dome light seems to shut mine up. most annoying

EXACTLY.... :lol:

so now ..... anyone got an easy way to fix it? ... my arm gets kinda tired after 5 mins of pushin up on the roof lining!!!

there are quite a few Ribbon cables glued to the headliner, i suppose over time they can become unstuck, there are especially quite a few along the Leading edge of the roof, to give power to the sunroof, sun visors and lights.

the only way to check, and secure these wires is to remove, or at least lower the headliner

ahha - so it is behind the sunroof not the sun roof itself ok - forget about the grease then, as mat says there are uite a few cables etc in that area also there are 2 drain tubes for the sunroof gutter , one of these items may have worked loose, afraid u have to drop the liner or at least an edge to see what is loose.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links