Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Really Pi**ed Off With Jemca

Following Scarface's glowing review of Lexus Woodford, I thought I'd share a little of the ordeal I've been going through with Jemca (aka Lexus Edgware Road) and ask for a little advice as to what to do.

As many of you know, this all started when my car was stolen back in January. It was recovered about a week later, and then my insurance company had it towed to Lexus Edgware Road (not sure anymore why I told them to take it there, but I guess the Lexus part has been pretty good so far). Once there, it obviously spent a week or two doing nothing so the insurance company could get out to inspect it, and as it had some minor bodywork damage on it, the whole job was moved from Lexus, over to the Jemca bodyshop as they could change the locks and other little checks that need to be done as they were doing the bodywork.

The first thing that annoyed me, is that they only provide Yaris courtesy cars. Despite having corollas and an avensis (not much better, but still better), they really didn't seem interested when I asked for one of them instead (maybe they're reserved for LS owners). However, it was only for a week or so, so I took it and all was well.

Finally got the call that the car was ready about a week and a half later, and as I couldn't get it, my parents went out to pick it up. Not being too fussy, they just picked the car up and came home. It was only when I got home that I saw what kind of state they thought they could return the car in. There was one huge scrape on the front bumper, one on the rear bumper, and worst of all the front and the back of the car did not line up at all. The bootlid was not in the centre anymore, it pressed up against the bumper when closed and the lights were wonky. The front was just as bad, with the bumper not on properly and the headlight were almost hanging off the front of the car. To add to that, there were huge scuffs all over the paintwork (which they said were flatting marks?), the interior was filthy (when I had asked for it to be valeted), and the trim around the instrument cluster was put back so badly I could put my hand in the dash!

So the following week, despite the really heavy snowfall (and almost skidding into a lamppost on the way there) I took the car back to show them the poor quality of the repair (I never even got an explanation as to how a car could leave looking like that). Well they booked it in for the following week, so I thought no big deal, they'll get it sorted this time around.

I had the car booked in for Friday, and they call me up on Thursday evening and say there's no courtesy car, so we'll have to do it next week. I wasn't happy, but at this point there wasn't much else to do so I booked it in for the following week. To add even more salt into the wounds, it was the evening of that Friday when they should've had the car, that I was in that rear-end accident.

I called them and said that there's no point in any of the work anymore, and as I had it booked into Lexus to have my CD player replaced, I said I'd ask them to fix the dash back properly. However, when I had the car there, they said something must be broken, so to book it back into the bodyshop to have it sorted.

The car was then booked back into Jemca, to have the dash fixed, polish out the scuffs in the paintwork, and valet the interior of the car. I think it was a Monday that I dropped the car off on, when I was told that I'm sure you'll have the car back tomorrow. So Tuesday comes, no phone calls, so I think in the afternoon I'll give them a ring and see what's happening. The other great thing about Jemca, is only one person works there. So you either get an answering machine, or you go through to the main reception where someone takes a message and then never calls you back. Having not got through on Tuesday, I was determined to get the car back on Wednesday, so I called repeatedly throughout the day. However, it still didn't happen, so I called the Lexus service department, and asked them. Even they couldn't get through, so the guy from Lexus actually went over there and forced someone to take the phone (full marks to Lexus), and I was told all the work has been done, so come and collect it.

You can probably imagine my horror, when I went to collect the car, and all the scuff marks were still on the paintwork, the dash was still loose, the interior had not been cleaned, and someone had stolen all the change in my ashtray. I told them that that was totally unacceptable, in that the car has been here for almost three days, and all that happened is that its been washed and vacuumed. The GS launch party was on the following evening, so I told them to sort it out, and leave the keys with someone at Lexus and I'll pick it up then.

Thinking this will be it, they've got to have sorted it this time, I went along to the GS launch. Got the keys, and went to have a nose around my car. Looked in, interior had been cleaned. Dash had been fixed. Four pounds had been replaced in the ashtray. Started looking over paintwork, and all seemed to be good, no marks could be seen. Then I got round to the passenger side, and see a 6 inch dent in the front door. I just thought 'F**K THIS!' This is getting ridiculous! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Luckily the bodyshop guy was still there, so I showed it to him straight away, and he said he'd send out one of these dent repair guys to sort it out at my house as there was no paint damage. I thought that should be fine, as that way I wouldn't need to come back again. Another two weeks passed and still no call about this being done. After a day of rigorous redialing, I finally got through and had the dent repair person come out and repair it (this was last week). It was pouring down that day so it seemed fine when he left, but on closer inspection when the sun was out, it is quite obvious that there is damage there so I'm not happy with it.

So this is where the advice would be really helpful. I really don't want it to go anywhere near the Jemca bodyshop again. I have the car booked in at Lexus Woodford next week for the accident repair, and ideally I'd like them to do it there if its possible.

So whats the best plan of attack from here? Should I call Jemca and ask them whether this is ok, or speak to the Manager of either Jemca or Lexus Edgware Road? Or should I forget all of them and just go straight to Lexus GB and ask them to sort the whole thing out?

On some level, I really can't be bothered with it anymore, but I also don't want them to get away with it. I bought a Lexus because I didn't want to be screwed around, so I really do hope it'll come through to a favourable solution that can reinforce my faith in Lexus customer service :winky:

Sorry this went on for so long but I needed to get it off my chest :)

i would write,cal Lexus, and tell them about this obvious shower of *****.................

i would then contact a Solicitor and tell them about this shower of *****, and i would write to Jemca, explaining what a shower of ***** they are informing them you have written to Lexus GB and a solicitor and you will be seeking damages and claiming

I take it that Jemca and not part of Lexus Edgware, e.g. Lexus subbed out the work to them. Did you pay Lexus or Jemca?

If that's the case complain to Lexus they are responsible for getting the work done you should not have to chase up their subbie. If you don't get satisfaction there theaten to go to Lexus GB, if that don't work GO to Lexus GB

I'd go back to Jemca without your car and p**s on them, no really !! Unfortunately there are a lot of people around in the motor industry that do not accept responsibility for the work they do and some are connected to Lexus :(

Thanks for all the replies, I did think its time to just go straight to Lexus GB. Not too fussed about compensation, I just want my car looking perfect again, so along with the accident repair I'm having, maybe a respray of the rest of the car would be nice, otherwise just a repair of the door would suffice.

The really annoying thing is that they're willing to fix it everytime. The guy I've been dealing with, Ross, is really helpful, and at one point actually started polishing out those scuffs by hand in the car park!

I'm just fed up with taking it back there so many times, and now I'm convinced if it goes back there to fix this door, its gonna come back with some different damage somewhere else!

Well finally spoke to Lexus GB yesterday afternoon. I explained the situation to them, and that the car's going in to Woodford on Monday for the accident repair, and I want it to get sorted out there, as my car is not going anywhere near Jemca. Told them I don't mind if it can't be done with the accident repair (if its too short notice), but want it done at Woodford. They said they'd get back to me...

Got a call today, and they said they spoken to Edgware Road and Woodford, and all I need to do is show Woodford what I'm not happy with, they'll send a bill to Edgware Road and get it sorted!

Really impressed with Lexus Customer Relations, I hope its the last time I need to use them, but having had experiences within the family with Audi, Mercedes and BMW customer services, this really is amazing service! Can't believe how quickly they responded, and with the correct response too! :D

I've had to escalate a problem to LGB in the past because of an issue I had with my local dealer and LGB's service was great.

Glad to hear it's going to get sorted to your satisfaction.

this i'll bring a small smile to you. when my is200 was in the body shop (lexus hull dont do major body repairs), the body shop company gave me a bright yellow mini. emphesis on bright yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems I'm in for a little more fun with Jemca! :angry::angry:

Had a call from them today saying that they want to have a chance to rectify the issue without needing to pay for someone else to do it, so I tell them that I'm far from happy with that :angry: :tsktsk:

Then call the person I spoke to previously at Lexus GB, and ask what the :tsktsk: is going on, I was told that Woodford would send a bill to Edgware Road, and get it sorted and now you're all saying that that won't happen. She says that they can't force anyone to pay for the work to be done (although I believe that its now got to the point where Lexus themselves should step in and pay for it :angry::angry::angry: )

This got me thinking that the repair bill must be large, so called James at Woodford, to find out what it was, and he wasn't entirely sure, but said its in the region of £1500, which I later found out to be £1700!!! :blink::blink:

How can a bodyshop cause that much damage to a car without realising?? :angry: :tsktsk: :angry:

Basically they said that the lacquer is in a really bad way, and in some places the paint needs to be renovated too! That is totally unbelievable! I'd understand if some stupid kid vandalises my paintwork, but when the bodyshop that's being paid to do it does it, it really makes you wonder ;) :angry::angry:

I'm not entirely sure where to go with this now, I've spent the afternoon talking to Jill at Lexus GB, then the Jemca Bodyshop Manager, and now the Lexus Edgware Road Centre Manager, and they're all saying the same thing. Still have one left, thats the Principal of Jemca (head of everything I guess), gonna speak to him on Monday but don't think he's really gonna budge either

What's the best plan of attack? Hit back right now, or give them one final chance to sort it out and then go absolutely ballistic if they screw up again? I've already told them that if they think they're going to give me a Yaris, they can go :tsktsk: themselves, to which I was told that that will not happen. :lol:

I think by writing this post, I've convinced myself that its best to let them have a final go at it, because I really don't want to get into a legal battle.

However, if they do screw up again, I'm going to need the names of some really good lawyers, cos then they will be going down :angry::angry:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links