Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Tax

eMJay

This was inspired by a post in another topic referring to having to have both MOT and insurance certificates to tax a car and it reminded me of a problem I had last year.

My previous car was declared SORN and parked on our drive, but I wanted to tax it to sell it, but was no longer insured on it.

I owned the car, it was registered in my name and had a valid MOT and they were going to get my money for either six or 12 months tax, but I couldn't tax it because I didn't have an insurance certificate. I couldn't see the logic in having to be insured on a vehicle that I never intended to drive ever again and was parked on my drive declared SORN when they were going to get the tax money anyway.

Fast forward to this year and I recently got my tax letter for the Lex and it says that I only need to produce a valid MOT certificate, so have they finally come to their sense?!

????? just got my letter through as well, i could swear it still says you need insurance details ??????

Unless im going crazy :duh:

I'll double check mine tonight, but I'm sure it just had one line referring to an MOT certificate because it surprised me.

Unless both are referred to on one line and I only paid attention to the MOT part, I thought they used to be listed on two seperate lines.

Why tax a car to sell it? Just tell them you will knock the price of the tax off if thats what you want to do. I will be amazed if they say you can tax your car with No insurance for ANY reason. It would set a precedent.

At the moment you still need to take insurance details with you,its all in preparation for the new mot rules which come out soon.

Basically when you get an mot its automatically logged on the computer and you will be issued a blue sticker so when your renewal for tax comes up you will only need to take an mot to the post office then they will know that your car has mot/insurance then they can issue you with a new tax disc.

They are trying to do away with the back st mot test centres as the issuing will be logged on to the DVLA direct,you'll soon be able to tax your car through the on-line application form.

It will all be tied in.

They actually know now but most police forces dont have the equipment fitted in all their cars.......................yet!!!

Are you sying that you need to produce insurance cert to get MOT? Or are the insurance companies logging insurance details with the DVLA?

It would make sense to me to make the road tax part of the MOT fee then you would have a blue sticker saying you have MOT and tax. It would save all the queing in the Post Office and surely work out cheaper to administer.

It will all be tied in.

They actually know now but most police forces dont have the equipment fitted in all their cars.......................yet!!!

Are you sying that you need to produce insurance cert to get MOT? Or are the insurance companies logging insurance details with the DVLA?

It would make sense to me to make the road tax part of the MOT fee then you would have a blue sticker saying you have MOT and tax. It would save all the queing in the Post Office and surely work out cheaper to administer.

Yes, most insurers now provide the information to the DVLA. When I taxed my IS in December 2004 I just did it online and a few days later the disc turned up.

I'll double check mine

Mine does just ask for, and I quote * AN APPROPRIATE MOT TEST CERTIFICATE.

They have probably accessed the insurnace database and found your vehicle to have valid insurnace - maybe...

So did mine,but i still had to show insurance details i think if you have the blue sticker in your w/screen now (i dont) it probably means your mot has been logged with the d.v.l.a so they already know yours is MOT'd.

Depends how far away your P.Office is i would take insurance just as a precaution.

I'll double check mine

Mine does just ask for, and I quote * AN APPROPRIATE MOT TEST CERTIFICATE.

mine also says this at the bottom..... but about half way up the letter it states you need both parts :duh:

It says in small print at the top that you have to produce a valid insurance certificate and MOT if necessary, so I have to take my insurance and the bold MOT request at the bottom indicates I need to take that too.

I thought the tax letters were clearer than this in the past.

Please ignore this thread! :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links