Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Altezza Rs200 V Is200

MacRS200

OK a few threads recently on the subject, didn't want to go :offtopic: so started a new one.

We all know the RS200 has more power is quicker and gets there faster. The figures I have for 0-60 are RS200 7.2 secs IS200 9.5 secs, so the RS is a full 2 secs faster.

Looking at the torque figures the RS200 has peak torque of 160 Lbf ft and the IS200 144 Lbf ft, that's only 16 Lbf ft more. This can't account for the difference in acceleration surely or am I mssing something :question:

OK a few threads recently on the subject, didn't want to go  :offtopic:  so started a new one.

We all know the RS200 has more power is quicker and gets there faster. The figures I have for 0-60 are RS200 7.2 secs IS200 9.5 secs, so the RS is a full 2 secs faster.

Looking at the torque figures the RS200 has peak torque of 160 Lbf ft and the IS200 144 Lbf ft, that's only 16 Lbf ft more. This can't account for the difference in acceleration surely or am I mssing something :question:

The RS200 is lighter and will reach 62 in second gear.... Also its torque is higher for a lot of the rev band. Drive one, you'll understand!

The RS200 is lighter and will reach 62 in second gear.... Also its torque is higher for a lot of the rev band. Drive one, you'll understand!

Weight (The RS is almost 100kg lighter than the IS).

8.5k redline.

Gear ratios (I can hit nearly 70mph in 2nd).

Those would be my key factors.

All clear now on that :D

You forgot the most important reason ...

The IS200 has approx. 155hp, while the Altezza has 210 horses under its hood.

Ah yes there is the obvious extra horses but "Torque for go, power for top speed"

Ah yes there is the obvious extra horses but "Torque for go, power for top speed"

True but 7.2 vs 9.5 0-60, the RS200 still has more go than the IS200. :winky:

Ash

True but 7.2 vs 9.5 0-60, the RS200 still has more go than the IS200. :winky:

Ash

Thought I said that :duh: The RS has more in all performance departments mate including torque :excl:

Weight (The RS is almost 100kg lighter than the IS).

8.5k redline.

Gear ratios (I can hit nearly 70mph in 2nd).

Those would be my key factors.

lol stick an RS against an IS3 and its neck and neck...

But the blocks got more holes in it :hehe:

You could save a bit on performance mods by lightening (strip out the sound proofing) :D Good go faster tip :crybaby:

I love the luxury & performance of the IS300!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Track car would be a stripped down GTR-R33 or MR2 Turbo

Fair play Mr Morse, i'm just jealous :innocent:

Whats the power & performance spec of the IS300?

Thanks,

Ash

Acceleration 0-62 mph 8.2 sec

Weight 1955 kg

211 bhp (157 kW) @ 5800 rpm

212 lb/ft (288 Nm) @ 3800 rpm

so if the RS is a whole 2 seconds quicker,,, hmmmmm must be your driving then that didnt reflect this LMAO.....

Not to mention IS300 is Auto  :P

:hehe:

tiptronic baby...

I think this is a slightly misleading simplification.

In order to convert the chemical energy of the fuel into kinetic energy (i.e. accelerate) as quickly as possible, you need lots of power.

The torque characteristics of the engine will have some effect because a more torquey engine will be able to produce more power at lower engine speeds and hence the gearing will be less critical.

Summary:

1- The gear ratios available have as much effect on acceleration as engine torque.

2- If two cars are fitted with CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) then I would expect the one with the more powerful engine (rather than the most torque) to accelerate quicker. Assuming, of course, that all other things like mass and air resistance are similar.

Looking at the torque figures the RS200 has peak torque of 160 Lbf ft and the IS200 144 Lbf ft, that's only 16 Lbf ft more. This can't account for the difference in acceleration surely or am I mssing something

So that's it for the science lesson, back to answer your question. You are correct in that the 16 Lbt ft difference in torque doesn't account for the difference in acceleration. As others have suggested, there are many other factors affecting the acceleration such as gear ratios, power, weight etc.

Not quite my friend

Power is the rate of conversion of energy

F=MA that is Force = Mass x Acceleration transpose this formula and you get Acceleration = Force/Mass.

Torque is the appliction of a force at a given radius and is expressed as Lbf Ft the little f after the Lb indicates that it is a force not a weight. This turning moment is transmitted through the drive train to the wheels and results in a turning moment on the wheels. Assuming the wheels don't spin this results in whats called rim pull, the wheels apply a force to the road resulting in a reaction of the road applying a force to the wheel. The size of this force is the torque applied to the wheel divided by the rolling radius. As the rolling radius is fixed the amount of force is determined by the TORQUE. Now apply this to the formula above more force (toque) more acceleration, it is torque that makes you accelerate not power :D

The actual torque transmitted to the wheels is indeed governed by the overall gear ration, low gears transmit more torque than high ones.

Power is related to torque, E=FD Energy=Force x Distance and as power is the rate of conversion of enegry that divided by time = power. The formula for power is therefore 2 x Pi x Torque x RPM = Power. So a more powerful engine does have more torque. The two are often confused.

• 6 years later...

right well im after buying an altezza and i love it! but im sick of arguing with people on the differences of these two cars, the way i see it is mine is jap and lexus is english, mine is 210 brake and the lexus is 155, mine has the yamaha beams engine and the lexus doesnt,mine has limited slip diff and the lexus has to get them on,and as far as i know theirs handling differences 2! is der anyone that can put this argument to rest in 1 sentence!!! :outforcount:

right well im after buying an altezza and i love it! but im sick of arguing with people on the differences of these two cars, the way i see it is mine is jap and lexus is english, mine is 210 brake and the lexus is 155, mine has the yamaha beams engine and the lexus doesnt,mine has limited slip diff and the lexus has to get them on,and as far as i know theirs handling differences 2! is der anyone that can put this argument to rest in 1 sentence!!! :outforcount:

The Lexus is not English! it is a Japanese Car. Luxury Export US. The Toyota Altezza is a sporty toyota with none of the luxury and refined smoothness of a straight 6. It is an equilibrium of power and luxury. The only thing the Altezza has going for it is the power!

So in effect mine has a 6 cylinders yours only has 4, mine has full leather electric adjust, heated seats urs probably doesn't. mine has Sat Nav ur doesn't. mine has a nicer sound urs is typical 4pot<----(opinion not objective) sport models have LSD which is not needed for normal driving essential mostly for idiots.

They are two different cars and have two different pedigrees so should not be compared directly. For those that enjoy the racey 4 pot cars like civic drivers (chavs) we have the Altezza. For those that know power is only useful on a track and prefer a little refinement we have the IS200 will ample power for uk roads.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links