Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Plates

d3fy

I'm going to by a private plate from the DVLA SOM, is there anything I need to know, any hidden bits and bobs, anyone used a online plate site to have the plate made up?

Thanks

You'r definitely going to the right people for your plate (the DVLA)

As far as the actual plates go be careful where u get them as the first place I got mine had MOTORMANIA and a postcode/telephone number stamped on the bottom in big black letters. When I refused to take them on the grounds they looked :tsktsk: I was told it's a legal requirement to have the info printed on them.

Eventually I went to Hafords who also print their name on the plate but they do the writing the same colour as the plate so u don't notice it.

It's worth asking the online retailer if the writing will be visible, so u don't waste your money. :winky:

I did mine on Thursday (purchased from DVLA), It's a piece of cake.

Couple of things to remember though....

Take your MOST RECENT log book if you have more than 1. They will not transfer from a previous one. I found that out the hard way :(

Take your MOT as well as your tax disc, this needs to be stamped too

If you don't already have plate made TELL THEM, they will give you back your original tax disc in addition to your new one, you can then drive home legally and install your new plates at home rather than in the DVLA car park.

They will also give you an authorisation document get your plates made up.

All in all, it took only 5 minutes, all you need do is sign and date the V750 and insert the original car registration in the appropriate box. :) No fees, no forms.... easy.

Good Luck

As far as the actual plates go be careful where u get them as the first place I got mine had MOTORMANIA and a postcode/telephone number stamped on the bottom in big black letters. When I refused to take them on the grounds they looked  :tsktsk: I was told it's a legal requirement to have the info printed on them.

Yeah, load of old pants! When I bought my Lex from new I told them that if they wanted me to advertise for them they should pay me to do so. I also got the "legal requirement Bull :tsktsk:

I bought my number from DVLA. No problems. Just took the v750 which is sent to you and the car tax disc to the local DVLA office. They gave me the original tax disc back so that I could drive home on the original plates.

I got my new plates from www.fancyplates.com you design your own on line and they come by post in a couple of days. No advertising material on them. Cost £39.

I got my private plates made up from Fancyplates and they dont put anything on it at the bottom. Also you can get the Lexus border. I think they are supposed to be for show plates, but a few people on here have bought from them.

Be careful with custom plates though- I contacted fancyplates and they told me anything other than the normal design number plates are illegal in this country- they can only be used for 'show purposes'. Sounds pedantic, but you can actually get done for it apparantly!

I think that the plates have to identify who made them in some way (quite often there's a postcode)

I've heard that too. But both my last lot have not. As I said fancyplates are supposed to be for show plates but you can also buy standard lettering from them, also without the writing underneath.( Still show plates )

My plates have not got standard lettering although similar, and are illegaly spaced

L3X **. As are i'm sure most on here are with the same lettering. :tomato: Not been pulled yet though. :blush::ph34r:

when transfering you registration do not take the tax disc with you, or send it off

it is illegal to not show a valid tax disc

the dvla will not expect you to show them it, they will just issue a new one in the new registration, and provide you with an envelope to send the old one off once the change has been done

fancy plates are based in ireland and therefore do not have to comply with the dvla rules

the trader who sells plates is only required to put his main postcode on new number plates, anything else is advertising

I'd say the the chances of being pulled for non-standard plates depends upon whether or not the colour, font size/type and the spacing is correct. :excl:

My local beat bobby says he would never bother with manufacturer or type logos, borders, backgrounds or any of the other stuff. :D

I'd say the the chances of being pulled for non-standard plates depends upon whether or not the colour, font size/type and the spacing is correct.  :excl:

My local beat bobby says he would never bother with manufacturer or type logos, borders, backgrounds or any of the other stuff.  :D

seems more chance if you do a lot of motorway driving, as its the traffic police who seem more interested in pulling peeps for plates

or if you attend car shows they allways seem on the look out

especially at japfest :crying:

good job i drove faster than he could run :whistling:

I'd say the the chances of being pulled for non-standard plates depends upon whether or not the colour, font size/type and the spacing is correct.  :excl:

My local beat bobby says he would never bother with manufacturer or type logos, borders, backgrounds or any of the other stuff.  :D

seems more chance if you do a lot of motorway driving, as its the traffic police who seem more interested in pulling peeps for plates

or if you attend car shows they allways seem on the look out

especially at japfest :crying:

good job i drove faster than he could run :whistling:

Like I said Barrie - it's the font/size and spacing they look at. I have that stuff all legal but also have the Lexus logo, Lexus background, black border and IS300 logo at the bottom. They are not bothered so long as they can correctly read a plate at 1,000 paces...... :excl:

The cops have nothing better to do!! My friend got pulled over because he had changed the spacing on this plate. Long as it readable. So many laws, the police should be catchin real criminals not pulling over people who have slightly dogey number plates, !!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links