Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow Tyres And Roof Rack Question

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to get some all season tyres - this sounds to me like my best option as I can avoid having to swapping and storing tyres (I don't have any place to store a set of extra tyres!)

Is that not what was said is on them ???.... not particulary good on snow, but ok most of time... or am I missing something ?

The RX400H is supposed to have all season tyres as standard according to the website: http://www.lexus.com/models/rx_hybrid/specifications.html "18-in alloy wheels with 235/55VR18 all-season tires"

The tyre size is the same as the one I'm looking for! Could someone with an RX400H please post their tyre make/model.

Thanks,

Sami

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still hunting around for the best solution for using my RX in winter conditions. I'm still a bit confused on which to go for :crybaby:

Here are my current options:

1. Get a pair of winter tyres and put them on before I leave UK. So these will be 18 inch tyres which I'll put on my existing wheels.

2. Get a pair of new 16 inch wheels with winter tyres - one user suggested this option. I'm not sure of the full advantages in having an extra set of wheels other than the reduced cost of winter tyres? I guess this will also prevent my summer tyres becoming damaged when swapping?

3. Get a set of chains to use on my summer tyres. I'll only put these once off the highway?

4. Get a pair of all season tyres (M+S) and use these all year round.

Can anyone recommend some winter tyre makes which will fit my wheel size? (235/55/18) I searched on all the obvious sites, but could not find a tyre that will fit :crybaby:

I never realised that this was going to be such a complicated operation :blink:

:angry: BAD NEWS :angry:

Lexus just informed me that there does not exist a snow tyre for my wheels as they are on unusual dimensions!!!!!!! 235/55/18 :angry::angry::angry:

How could this be possible? How can Lexus sell a 4x4 car with wheels that cannot go on snow???

It was suggested that I get a complete new set of wheels and tyres and to keep my exising ones for summer.

I can't believe this! :angry:

Could it be that Lexus put the wrong wheels on my car when I purchased it? Does everyone have this size?

:angry: BAD NEWS  :angry:

Lexus just informed me that there does not exist a snow tyre for my wheels as they are on unusual dimensions!!!!!!! 235/55/18  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

How could this be possible? How can Lexus sell a 4x4 car with wheels that cannot go on snow???

It was suggested that I get a complete new set of wheels and tyres and to keep my exising ones for summer.

I can't believe this!  :angry:

Could it be that Lexus put the wrong wheels on my car when I purchased it? Does everyone have this size?

Yep, fraid so, the SE upwards has 18" and the basic has 17".

Does anyone know if there what the main advantages/disadvantages in having smaller wheels (16 inch). I noticed an earlier posting (jameschamonix) saying that 16 inch are better for snow. Why does the size of the wheel matter? I thought it's only the rubber that matters?

Also, does anyone know of any good places to buy 16 inch wheels for RX? Are wheels car dependent or are they generic?

Thanks,

Sami

the smaller the wheel ie 15" 16" the narrower the tyre tends to be. Narrow  winter tyres are far better in winter conditions than wide tyres

Ok thanks.

Is there any recommended standard size I should use in terms of width/height etc.... (e.g. 235/35/16?)

Also, do I need to do anything with my suspension? Will it make my car unstable in any way on the highways? (I have a 600 miles to do on the highway before I get to the mountains)

you are best asking over on the euro forums as the RX owners there can tell you straight away the exact size and any other aspects that they have dealt with.

dont worry about typing in english

Hi again.For great advice and everything you never wanted to know about chosing tyres check out www.tirerack.com. Note the american spelling. Stick in your car and it will tell you what choices you can have for winter tyres etc.

Hi James In Chamonix,

Thanks for the link. This website is really good, it is the best one I've seen and has so much explanations on winter tyres.

I called them up and they deliver to the internationally including the UK! Also, their prices are very reasonable. You can get a set of 4 tyres/wheels combo for around $900 start package!

I had a look at the different options and the salesman recommended that I get a set of 5 as he mentioned that it is not suitable to use the summer spare I have.

I have a question: the wheels/tyres recommended are meant for the US version, the RX330. Will these be ok on my RX300?

These are the wheels tyres recommended:

ASA JH3 (Silver Painted) Wheels

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-18 tyres http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselecto...sproductid=1061

They also mentioned something about a 3mm plate they provide for the back wheels, I did not understand too well what this is for. He mentioned something about the suspension.

Finally, I asked about chains and the salesman said that with these tyres as they are very special, chains are not needed unless I am doing some serious off-road activity. I guess I am ok without? (I will only be driving in main towns and highways) Thoughts?

What do you think? Shall I go for it?

Thanks,

Sami

Glad you found it useful.I have used them exclusively for a while now and highly recommend them. The US 330 is the Uk mk2 isn't it.? Dont see a problem there.As for 5 wheels, dont bother .If you are so unlucky as to get a puncture your spare will get you to a garage.dont know about the plate.my guess is that it is a spacer to make up for the fact the wheel is narrower.Blizzaks are serious snow tryes..great traction..so worse noise,more wear,worse fuel consumption but you wont need chains.Had a metre of snow last year ,never used chains,snow tryes are just fab!

Word of warning..be very careful going downhill..rx's are trucks made to look like cars..they are heavy beasts..even snow tyres can struggle ..dont get over confident.

Hi James,

Thanks for the tips. I actually ended up ordering wheels/tyres from an Austrian tyre seller as the shipping costs from US where too high. I ended up going for 235/55/18 with Bridgestone Blizak LM25 @ around 380 Euro for each combo. I will post my feedback once I have used them.

Your cottage looks wicked! I will consider it for future visits!

Regards,

Sami

• 3 months later...

:driving:

Hi Sami

I to am having the same problems getting snow tyres, how did you get on with your purchase and are they 235/55/18 or 235/60/18 as I seem to be getting pushed towards. Also can u give me the number for your Austrian guy and did he charge much for shipping.

Cheers

George

Hi James,

Thanks for the tips. I actually ended up ordering wheels/tyres from an Austrian tyre seller as the shipping costs from US where too high. I ended up going for 235/55/18 with Bridgestone Blizak LM25 @ around 380 Euro for each combo. I will post my feedback once I have used them.

Your cottage looks wicked! I will consider it for future visits!

Regards,

Sami

Hi George,

I just returned from the Alps and as is mentioned by fluff, there is loads of snow + ice! I strongly recommend the tyres I obtained: Bridgestone Blizzak LM 25 4x4 which come in the required size 235/55/18. They handled very well in all sorts of situations. You should also look to get a pair of snow chains at the same time as it is compulsory in certain areas/situations.

The Austrian dealer is called 4x4 Styling | Website: http://www.4x4styling.com/indexE.htm | Tel: +43 2626 64492

Try to speak to Martin and mention my name (Sami) and he'll treat you well :D

Here is a pic of my RX in full gear :ph34r:

lexus_snow.jpg

Have fun!

Sami

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sami

I have bought a set of Spikes Spiders Sport snow chains for my RX300. I first came across them when I had a Mondeo 2.5 ghia estate. It had low profile wide wheels and I was told that these were the only chain that would fitthese wheels. At £270 I was a bit sceptical. What a brilliant buy they were. Once set up they took less than a minute to fit, you rarely need to fit chains in good weather. The set I bought fitted over 35 different wheel sizes, not like the standard chains that usually fit 5-10. Moving up to the RX I had to increase the size of the chains but didn't have to buy a new full set. I've pulled quite a few 4X4's, cars, car/caravan combos out of it with these in the mondeo, mainly in this country, not often used them abroad though, they seem better prepared. They are also good in sand or mud, many a boggy camp site has been chewed up with them.

Hi Sami

I have bought a set of Spikes Spiders Sport snow chains for my RX300. I first came across them when I had a Mondeo 2.5 ghia estate. It had low profile wide wheels and I was told that these were the only chain that would fitthese wheels. At £270 I was a bit sceptical. What a brilliant buy they were. Once set up they took less than a minute to fit, you rarely need to fit chains in good weather. The set I bought fitted over 35 different wheel sizes, not like the standard chains that usually fit 5-10. Moving up to the RX I had to increase the size of the chains but didn't have to buy a new full set. I've pulled quite a few 4X4's, cars, car/caravan combos out of it with these in the mondeo, mainly in this country, not often used them abroad though, they seem better prepared. They are also good in sand or mud, many a boggy camp site has been chewed up with them.

alanc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links