Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Completely Dead

Put the IS away in the garage last Sunday afternoon. Nothing unusual, locked it as normal, lights were off etc. Come to get the car out last night and it is completely dead. Remote doesn't work - have to use key to unlock car.

Little security light on dash isn't flashing.

Switch on ignition - nothing, no dashboard lights, engine won't start.

Battery seems ok (makes a spark at the terminal) and connections are tight. Fuses all appear ok. Car nomally sits for a week without any problems, and last journey was over 50 miles so Battery should be ok. Anything else I should check before I call Lexus?

Cheers for that. Sounds like it's best to haul the Battery out then take it down the dealership and plonk it on their reception desk :P Hopefully it's covered under warranty - not good for a Battery to curl up & die when it's les than 3yrs old!

Don't think it'll be under warranty, batteries are normally only covered 12 months.

Unless you have one of those Bosh Lifetime warranty batteries. :D

3 years is the norm for Battery warranties now though in it?

I think it depends on where you get it from, i think Halfords give three years...if your still under dealer warrenty make them replace it :angry:

Called into the dealership today and explained the cars lack of go.

The receptionst explained to me that it's a common problem with these cars. (Excuse me?!) Just charge it overnight and it'll be fine she tells me. News to me I thought, and hardly gives you confidence - never knowing when it will next strand you somewhere.

It's due its annual service in a month so I'll be asking them to replace it under warranty, although they might refuse. In which case I'll tell them I may have to reconsider replacing my Lexus with another one next year..... :shifty:

for an electrician......your crap.

acid is pure, electrolyte isnt.......

The correct ratio of water to sulfuric acid in Battery electrolyte is approximately:. 80 % water to 20 % sulfuric acid.

Battery acid, shouldnt come pure anymore, and should come pre-mixed (EC Directive)

I thought batteries were supposed to have a much longer lifespan than two years? I know when I had to buy one for the old Astra I had the choice of a £35 one with a 3yr warranty or a £45 one with a lifetime warranty.

The receptionist at Lexus seemed to suggest that dodgy batteries was an IS specific problem.

I was surprised that the Battery in my IS wasn't a "sealed" one - thought they were all maintenance free these days.

for an electrician......your crap.

acid is pure, electrolyte isnt.......

The correct ratio of water to sulfuric acid in battery electrolyte is approximately:. 80 % water to 20 % sulfuric acid.

battery acid, shouldnt come pure anymore, and should come pre-mixed (EC Directive)

interesting

i thought that the acid/electrolyte was only ever used to fill new empty batteries

and that topping up was with de-ionised water ;)

I think we are getting into a dangerous area with talk of replacing the acid in car batteries; I'm adding this post for safety reasons.

I have responsibility for large installations of industrial lead acid batteries, and have never had to replace the acid. Ditto with my car batteries.

WARNING: Wear safety glasses when cleaning a Battery or working on car batteries. Battery electrolyte and corrosion deposits contain sulphuric acid. Even when diluted with water, sulphuric acid can injure your skin and eyes. For the same reason, rubber gloves are recommended to protect your hands.

A Battery has two main cycles, the charge and discharge cycles.

In the discharge cycle, a chemical reaction takes place inside the Battery in which the lead (Pb) of the negative plates combines with the SO4 of the sulphuric acid to produce lead sulphate (PbSO4). In this cycle, the electrolyte becomes weaker -- specific gravity lessens -- and the positive and negative plates become more like one another. Since the voltage, or charge, of a Battery depends on the difference between the two plate materials and the concentration of the electrolyte, and since this difference decreases during discharging, the Battery loses power. To anyone who has sat in a non-starting car and cranked away as the Battery got weaker and weaker, this scenario will be immediately recognisable.

In the charge cycle, the reverse is true. Electrical current, generated by the car's alternator, passes through the plates, forcing SO4 back into the electrolyte bath and elevating specific gravity. Voltage increases.

This is why you don't need to replace the acid/electrlyte

Sulphuric acid is highly caustic. Caution should used when dealing with electrolyte in car batteries. Sulphuric acid can burn clothing and the skin and even cause blindness. There is even a slight danger of explosion.

If for some reason electrolyte gets on your clothes or body, it should immediately be neutralized with a solution of baking soda and water.

Charge batteries only in well-ventilated areas.

Well I took the Battery out and trickle charged it over a couple of days. Refitted it this morning (usual story, head under bonnet, connect negative/earth... connect positive... alarm goes off... now deaf)!

Anyway, car started first time.

Even so, a 2½yr old Battery going from fine to flat for no reason isn't encouraging, and the dealer saying it's a common problem doesn't help. :huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links