Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Oe Satnav

MartinC

It was a feature I really had to have when I bought this car, I've always wanted Sat Nav in a car and never had so was on my list of must haves.

I don't exactly use it on a day to day basis, I know where I live and work.

Used it to get to Rockingham race way and thats been the only good experience so far. Other times its really let us down going to other shows :angry: taking us into dead ends at times

Anyone else less than impressed??

Surely in an '05 car the disc should be up to date :unsure:

I think i read here somewhere that disks are six months out of date when new....somthing like that :unsure:

At least mate, think there was a comment on here the other day saying that the 05 disk was using data from 03!!

I get lost with or without sat nav, my TomTom goes crazy in Nottingham, luckily I now know where I'm going off by heart so sod it!

The majority of mapping data is circa 2 years out of date by the time it makes it to DVD for use in Sat Nav systems !!

The amount of data that has to be collated and put onto a little plastic disk is vast. When a new version of software comes out it is usually a total new version. Mapping houses don't usually say "Well we'll just do the bits that we think have changed" How do they know whats changed unless they remap the whole country again? That's why it takes so long to get from Map to data to DVD. (There are interim versions of software that appear from time to time and these are usually based on data that people have supplied when they complain to the software house that a road isn't on their map or it's one way and they can't turn down it etc - on the whole these interim versions are corrections)

That being said NO sat nav system is perfect and ALL have errors on them (some more than others !!). Basically use it as an aid and not a holy grail of direction. The majority of systems will get you right to the door of your destination but occassionally they will hicc-up. That's life I'm afraid. even with the odd mishap a system will still get you very close to where you should be even if it doesn't take the route you 'were expecting' :ohmy:

I use sat nav on a daily basis as well as a GPS based 'saftey camera' locator :whistling: . I love them both and the first has always got me to where I needed and the second has saved my license more times than I care to remember :D

Just my two pennyworth

Cheers

The Ed

I use sat nav on a daily basis as well as a GPS based 'saftey camera' locator  :whistling: . I love them both and the first has always got me to where I needed and the second has saved my license more times than I care to remember  :D

Hear hear! My Origin is probably one of the best things I've bought since I've been driving!

I use sat nav on a daily basis as well as a GPS based 'saftey camera' locator  :whistling: . I love them both and the first has always got me to where I needed and the second has saved my license more times than I care to remember  :D

Hear hear! My Origin is probably one of the best things I've bought since I've been driving!

after more years than i care to remember pushing cabs around liverpool my tomtom is the most useless [to me] piece of kit ever BUT ITS A TOY therefore its a MUST HAVE item can't have enough toys :D

I agree that its just an aid, even says in the instructions that you shouldn't reley on it, but so far its had quite a few roads missing which can be very frustrating when your at Toddington services at 6:00am with a bunch of people all wanting to go to the same show releying on the guy with the SatNav.

Didn't realise the disks would be as much as 2 years out of date :ohmy:

At least in came with the car, so its no big deal, just not as good as I hoped.

It is a nice toy tho, and I neeeeed toys :D

Agree with the Origin, superb peice of kit, glad I bought that

The courtesy car I borrowed had sat nav and I wasnt impressed with it at all compared to my TomTomGo. Quite hard to use and not as good view as the TomToms 3D view. Mines very easy to use, much less fiddly and never had a problem with it at all.

Still, ive heard Lexus sat nav is meant to be one of the best standard factory fit systems.

I think i read here somewhere that disks are six months out of date when new....somthing like that :unsure:

At least mate, think there was a comment on here the other day saying that the 05 disk was using data from 03!!

I get lost with or without sat nav, my TomTom goes crazy in Nottingham, luckily I now know where I'm going off by heart so sod it!

I thought I was the only muppet to get lost with SatNav!! Excellent! :D

I thought I was the only muppet to get lost with SatNav!! Excellent!  :D

Try it in Notts sometime, my TomTom Mobile went mental, started telling me to turn right through buildings, took me down dead ends you name it!

Everywhere else it's pretty good but it's like the Bermuda Triangle effect near the IBM building in Notts, sure they must have something dodgy in that place, you can just watch it starting to go mental when it gets near Rock City too, then the nasty ******* tried sending me down tiny streets with huge speed bumps which I had no chance of getting over!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links