Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Offering Thicker Head Gasket

Hello everyone!

As I'm currently having my engine rebuilt with stronger internals, I've have to overcome some obstacles along the way. One of them being suitable head gasket.

Std head gasket being metal, it would otherwise be good as it is, but for t/c and s/c it would be a good idea to lower the compression ratio. As there is no thicker "tuning" gasket available for the 1G-FE, I just have to get one made for me.

It's going to be professionally made, laser-cut, full metal gasket like the standard, only thicker.

Now that we know the displacement, bore, stroke and std compression ratio, we can calculate the needed extra thickness for the gasket. Adding 1mm to the head gasket lowers the compression ratio from std 10:1 to 9:1, which suits much better for forced induction.

In any case I'm going to have one or to made for me, but would anybody else be interested as well? The price would be around 200€/pc, most likely even less.

Show your possible interest in this thread, or PM me, so I know how many to order.

p.s. I do not want to step on anybodys toes, just trying to help fellow clubmen.

Cheers,

Sami

Sami,

I can get a HKS uprated head gasket 1.6 mm thick for the 1g-gte engine.

I've got an oem one just in to measure the thickness of that to see what the benefits would be.

The cost is £160/£170 (for HKS one)

May save you some time & trouble :winky:

Sami,

I've got an oem one just in to measure the thickness of that to see what the benefits would be.

May save you some time & trouble  :winky:

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it, but as the HKS gasket is for -GTE and not -FE, we couldn't be 101% sure that it would fit, and if the water and oil canals are identical. Then it wouldn't be much use, even if it was thick enough... The std gasket is ~0.6mm, so in that sense the 1.6mm HKS would do it, but until someone confirms it fits 101% to 1G-FE, I'm not ready to order. :unsure:

I would be interested in hearing what benefits the thicker gasket would have to a turbo'd IS without having uprated internals??

Is there much point in changing the gasket without doing the internals too??

Would it be worth it or better to wait and get it all done at once??

Sami,

May save you some time & trouble  :winky:

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it, but as the HKS gasket is for -GTE and not -FE, we couldn't be 101% sure that it would fit, and if the water and oil canals are identical. Then it wouldn't be much use, even if it was thick enough... The std gasket is ~0.6mm, so in that sense the 1.6mm HKS would do it, but until someone confirms it fits 101% to 1G-FE, I'm not ready to order. :unsure:

i'm told the blocks are indentical...will find out soon enough tho !

I would be interested in hearing what benefits the thicker gasket would have to a turbo'd IS without having uprated internals??

Same as above :rolleyes:

Same as above :rolleyes:

As the compression ratio is lowered with thicker gasket, it does it's share in lowering also the possibility of detonation, an engines enemy. And on the other hand, lowering the compression ratio allows also to raise the boost = more power! :)

I think that with TTE S/C you cannot achieve such a power figures that it would be the power which destroys the internals (even with upgraded pulley), it's the detonation that killed my internals too (piston rings to be precise).

Hope this helps.

You can control the detonation with these "tools":

- retarding ignition (programmable ECU needed)

- adding extra fuel to cool down the engine (programmable ECU needed, AND IS200's fuel system is already maxxing out)

- lowering the intake temp (I/C, or BIGGER I/C needed)

- lowering the intake temp with water spray (something to control the spray needed)

- lowering compression ratio (low compression pistons AND/OR thicker head gasket)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links