Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Bought It Leaks An All....

The LS400 I was researching, I bought it.

Some small chips and tiny dents. 139+ thou.

Main problem is the leak in the trunk!

Any suggestions?

I put talc all round and see it is leaking on the peak of the curve down on the near side.

It runs down onto the nearside rib in the trunk then over into the spare tyre well and into the near side well.

I await a CD manual in the post.

I signed up for Gold.

Any enthusiastic mechanical types in St.Ives Cambs. area. I am brave enough to have a go at the simpler aspects of maintenance.

Timing belt change overdue - is it a difficult task? quoted £430 at dealer.

Thats enough Q's for one post!

By for now........

If you have changed other cambelts you can do it.

Not a model to learn on!

It takes a long time [i did anyway!]........get the info before you start ;)

Looks like fun but not in the front garden!

I expect I'll cough up.

I might feel braver later.

If anything goes wrong the parts are more likely to be at Lexus than in my kitchen :D

Found a link about leaks advising silicone and cling film fix. Anyone tried that?

I've just had a quote for £334 for a Toyota garage in cheshire, so it may be worth shopping around

The LS400 I was researching, I bought it.

Some small chips and tiny dents. 139+ thou.

Main problem is the leak in the trunk!

Any suggestions?

I put talc all round and see it is leaking on the peak of the curve down on the near side.

It runs down onto the nearside rib in the trunk then over into the spare tyre well and into the near side well.

I await a CD manual in the post.

I signed up for Gold.

Any enthusiastic mechanical types in St.Ives Cambs. area. I am brave enough to have a go at the simpler aspects of maintenance.

Timing belt change overdue - is it a difficult task? quoted £430 at dealer.

Thats enough Q's for one post!

By for now........

Had a simular leaking problem on my mates 1997 LS400. His turned out to be the drain from the sunroof had come off. There are pipes leading from the sunroof and going through the roof lining, down the rear window pillars and out through vents in the boot floor. His were clear braided nylon tube and the offside tube had come off/broke in the rear pillar. The water just soaked the boot area and carpets. Took ages to find, even had the rear screen refitted before discovering the pipes were at fault.

:driving:

Had a simular leaking problem on my mates 1997 LS400. His turned out to be the drain from the sunroof had come off. There are pipes leading from the sunroof and going through the roof lining, down the rear window pillars and out through vents in the boot floor. His were clear braided nylon tube and the offside tube had come off/broke in the rear pillar. The water just  soaked the boot area and carpets. Took ages to find, even had the rear screen refitted before discovering the pipes were at fault.

:driving: This info should be put somewhere easy to find! Who'd ever think of a leaking sun roof when seeing wet boot?!!! I shied off buying a good LS400 a few years ago cos of rust inside wheel-well, which was probably this too! :zee:

I cleaned the seal with Meths then squirted black silicon along the leaking part. spread it out with my finger then laid some cling film over then shut the trunk.

Next day opened it peeled off the cling film then wiped some silicone oils along it to stop it sticking. It appears to have done the job (?)

• 2 months later...
:driving:
Had a simular leaking problem on my mates 1997 LS400. His turned out to be the drain from the sunroof had come off. There are pipes leading from the sunroof and going through the roof lining, down the rear window pillars and out through vents in the boot floor. His were clear braided nylon tube and the offside tube had come off/broke in the rear pillar. The water just  soaked the boot area and carpets. Took ages to find, even had the rear screen refitted before discovering the pipes were at fault.

:driving: This info should be put somewhere easy to find! Who'd ever think of a leaking sun roof when seeing wet boot?!!! I shied off buying a good LS400 a few years ago cos of rust inside wheel-well, which was probably this too! :zee:

IRONIC OR WHAT ? I just bought a LS 400 Ser 4...with a leaking boot! Look for a Link....and find my OWN post!!

What's that aging memory loss called again? :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links